GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,276
0 members and 2,276 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

U Texas is a big school with lots of transfers and an upperclass quota. I havent seen that this translates to very many older women pledging - so if you had friends in a chapter it might be possible but you would still have a very difficult recruitment period. They would also expect you to live one year in the house.

While Texas State does have houses the houses are much smaller and not everyone would be expected to live there. They also have more students that transfer - both who spend one or two years there and then transfer to UT or A&M or that spend two years at a CC and transfer in. This means they do have a slightly older student body than say UT and more non traditional students (older or married). It would still be harder for an older New Member than a freshman.

Last edited by HQWest; 09-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I joined my sorority as a junior. Yes, I was older than most of my pledge sisters, but I usually forgot about it. There were three of us who were juniors. One of my pledge sisters actually was 23 when we came through; she is currently the oldest in the sorority, but no one really ever thinks about that unless she brings it up. My guess would be it really depends on the Greek climate on your campus and in each particular chapter. In my chapter, and on my campus, we tend to have quite a few sophomores/ juniors come through each year. My thought is to follow your heart; if you don't care about the age difference then hopefully you can make the actives forget about it too.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
Personally, I joined when I was 21, and while I am definitely the oldest member of our chapter at the moment, it's not a huge deal. That's just my chapter though, each school and chapter will be different.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Like others have said, it's all about how you fit in. In my pledge class, 4/5 of us were 20 (not normal). I have to say, by the end of my third year (my last as a collegian) I had very little in common with most of the chapter. I was applying to grad school, had a heavy course load, and just didn't want to go out all of the time (though to be fair I never did). That said, there was a girl who joined at 23, did 4 full years and was very involved. It depends on you!