GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,328
1 members and 2,327 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2012, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek housing off campus?

I am rushing for a couple fraternities at my campus right now. And one of the chapter I am rushing for have a chapter house off campus. I believe it's about a 5 minutes drive away from campus, and a 35min walking distance.

I was wondering if that might stifle the social aspect of the fraternity. I think it's the only chapter that have a house over there (all the other chapters have houses in our Greek village), and I know one of our fraternity do not have a house of any sort. Would it kinda restrict my interactions with the other fraternities (and sororities I suppose), if I later on end up getting a bid there and went with it?

I have heard from a current brother of the fraternity that their house is sorta isolated, so they bond with each other more...but they don't socialize with the other Greek houses, except for a couple all-Greek events.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that's a legitimate concern. If you want to be part of the action, and you don't think you'd like living that far away, that could be a strong consideration for you. My guess is that you're not the first one to feel this way. Also, will you have a car? That's a long walk to class.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

No car for me, as I am from out of state. The particular fraternity does have a shuttle system that goes from house to campus...but it's an on-demand sort. So I'd have to call the shuttle to come and drop me off near my classroom/wherever if I was to use it.

They do have times when they hang out at the Greek village, but it's almost always on Sat...when the student populations drop by 85% for the weekends.