GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,452
1 members and 2,451 guests
navane

Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Election drama

Elections are tomorrow for my local sorority, and I am running for President again. The problem is is that no one else is running for President, which means I'd be running unopposed. Our constitution says that we're supposed to always have at least two people running for a position, but everyone has submitted what they'll be running for to me and no one has chosen President. I'm unsure what to do in this situation. I do not want to force someone to run if they don't want to because I would not want anyone to be stuck in a position of such responsibility if they hadn't wanted it in the first place.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2009, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Well maybe they want YOU to be president..they probably see you as best for the position
Old 04-13-2009, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDelt View Post
Elections are tomorrow for my local sorority, and I am running for President again. The problem is is that no one else is running for President, which means I'd be running unopposed. Our constitution says that we're supposed to always have at least two people running for a position, but everyone has submitted what they'll be running for to me and no one has chosen President. I'm unsure what to do in this situation. I do not want to force someone to run if they don't want to because I would not want anyone to be stuck in a position of such responsibility if they hadn't wanted it in the first place.
Why would you wait until the day before elections to ask for advice?

Anyway, does your constitution/bylaws have any exception clause (ex. in the event two people aren't running, this is what you do)? If not, you need to get it included. In the meantime, ask your current exec board if an exception can be granted for your situation.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

What about nominations from the floor? If the applications were to be turned into you originally, I could see that perhaps someone would not want to openly oppose the sitting president but may accept a nomination from the floor. I personally do not see the "drama" that you assume this creates. You are either unopposed through no fault of your own or you run against a nomination from the floor.