GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,203
0 members and 2,203 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a little late to this party, but if OP is still reading, he needs to contact the Greek Life office on his campus to find out what the situation is. Many fraternities probably do allow graduate students. If he's at an SEC school, he may have a great chance to join one of the lower tiered houses.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Banned

The OP seems to have only wanted a definitive "yes" and list of the specific fraternities.

Contacting Greek Life is too much research for the OP, as is searching Google and contacting some fraternities.

To go back to naraht's question about NPHC, a graduated student interested in the NPHC should not contact the Greek Life office of that school. Most Greek Life offices won't know. If they offer assistance at all, the most they will do is give the person the contact info for the collegiate chapter(s), NHQ(s), or possibly the alumnae/alumni/graduate chapter(s). The person can and should access that info without the Greek Life office.

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-18-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
To go back to naraht's question about NPHC, a graduated student interested in the NPHC should not contact the Greek Life office of that school. Most Greek Life offices won't know. If they offer assistance at all, the most they will do is give the person the contact info for the collegiate chapter(s), NHQ(s), or possibly the alumnae/alumni/graduate chapter(s). The person can and should access that info without the Greek Life office.
Amen...because Google.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

To the op, I am a fraternity man. Yes, some fraternities allow graduate students to pledge. Selection of new members is up to the chapter.

That being said, you can rush, we can not tell you if you will be given a bid.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I am back after doing some research on my own, the latest posts were very helpful but all I really asked for was people to not give me suggestions on how to live my life, just answer my question. You see, throughout my life I have had super strict helicopter parent types that have micromanaged my life and told me what I should and should not do, that has left me with some issues which have slowly been resolved through the years.

That said, I did find a few organizations to get involved in for the feelings of a brotherhood and now I will be looking into rushing some fraternities as a grad student. I don't want to do my grad studies at SEC schools because I know that this is the conference where schools are very strict about Greek Life, more so than anywhere else in the nation.

Things have been going better for me and I want to say to all of you who have PM'd me that your messages have not been ignored. I look forward to going to grad school and will continue to do research on whether grad students can rush a fraternity. Google does not have much info on this, it all leads me to discussion forums where users are practically replying saying "why would you want to do that?". So far, things aren't looking too good.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfortunateGDI View Post
Well I am back after doing some research on my own, the latest posts were very helpful but all I really asked for was people to not give me suggestions on how to live my life, just answer my question. You see, throughout my life I have had super strict helicopter parent types that have micromanaged my life and told me what I should and should not do, that has left me with some issues which have slowly been resolved through the years.

That said, I did find a few organizations to get involved in for the feelings of a brotherhood and now I will be looking into rushing some fraternities as a grad student. I don't want to do my grad studies at SEC schools because I know that this is the conference where schools are very strict about Greek Life, more so than anywhere else in the nation.

Things have been going better for me and I want to say to all of you who have PM'd me that your messages have not been ignored. I look forward to going to grad school and will continue to do research on whether grad students can rush a fraternity. Google does not have much info on this, it all leads me to discussion forums where users are practically replying saying "why would you want to do that?". So far, things aren't looking too good.
You can just reply to the PMs without the derivative of "I've been receiving PMs, you meanies."

Good luck to you.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I really, strongly hope you are not choosing a grad school based on Greek life.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:57 PM

How convenient that the troll ignores the recent thread of a grad student getting a bid. Course that poster seemed like a normal individual.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Nah, the south is just a bad fit for me overall TBH.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nah, the south is just a bad fit for me overall TBH.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
How convenient that the troll ignores the recent thread of a grad student getting a bid. Course that poster seemed like a normal individual.
I checked it out and tbh it gave me hope. I can't find too much stuff on google about grad students rushing a fraternity and getting bids so the thread is more of an exception and in a good way too. So far from what I have looked into, it seems like most of the bigger fraternities at state schools like say a Florida St for example only give bids to undergrads and prefer freshmen because they know they can get more money out of them (they will pay for 4 years).

You live in SD (lucky!!!!), any ideas of how things are like at UCSD or San Diego St?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I checked it out and tbh it gave me hope. I can't find too much stuff on google about grad students rushing a fraternity and getting bids so the thread is more of an exception and in a good way too. So far from what I have looked into, it seems like most of the bigger fraternities at state schools like say a Florida St for example only give bids to undergrads and prefer freshmen because they know they can get more money out of them (they will pay for 4 years).

You live in SD (lucky!!!!), any ideas of how things are like at UCSD or San Diego St?
Please tell us what you know about what it costs to operate a fraternity.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Please tell us what you know about what it costs to operate a fraternity.
He knows everything about money because he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth like we all were and his parents were too strict and STEM and blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
He knows everything about money because he wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth like we all were and his parents were too strict and STEM and blah blah blah blah blah blah.
You bitter old past her peak sorority woman, you. Lololololol.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
You bitter old past her peak sorority woman, you. Lololololol.
Yeah, this old woman was up until 1 AM last night dancing her butt off and he was probably sitting in "VIP" paying $100 for a $15 bottle of vodka, so he can suck it.