GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,472
3 members and 2,469 guests
GammaGirl1908, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I spoke with my daughter this morning and she was invited back to all her top 7 houses so she has a full schedule again today. She is beyond thrilled but exhausted. She doesn't have her first house for app 2 hours and she would love to go back to bed and get some sleep but she has already curled her hair is doesn't want to have to redo it.
If that is the worst thing that happens this week she is very blessed.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck to of the UK PNM's!! Go Cats!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I got a text from my daughter and she has a full party schedule today but she lost 3 of her top houses. She was actually okay with it. She said there are still 4 houses she could see herself in. Tomorrow is Preference Day so they will go from 7 to 3 ...YIKES...no sleep tonight for this mama!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

UKMOM14 & nervousmom you are wonderful at encouraging your DD's. I was in you shoes in 2001 and waiting for the phone to ring made for a long day! Both of your daughters are going through the process with a open mind & heart such a mature way to approach recruitment. Good luck to your daughters & all PNM's at UK.

We Are UK!

Last edited by scrapinfificat; 08-14-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: color
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is going through the recruitment process at UK and went in with such high hopes and excitement, only to be invited back to 4 houses after the first cut. Two of those houses were among her top picks, but both of those were cut as of this morning. That leaves her with two. She is crushed. I, myself, did not go through rush and had no idea it was so cut-throat. It reminds me of middle school. I just don't understand it... my DD is a beautiful girl, but she is on the shy side, so has never been extremely social or in the "popular" crowd. One of her main reasons for doing rush was to make friends and develop socially. We are encouraging her to go to the two houses she has left and take a better look. Maybe she got in those last two houses because she wasn't as nervous and didn't try as hard as she might have at her top picks. It is a heartbreaking process for all involved. I'm very happy for the ones that do make it, but to have such a big let down right before classes begin is not a good thing at all.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

UKCATFAN
MY heart was breaking as I read your post. MY daughter has had a great experience so far but it could just as easily have been her that had the rough experience. It could still go bad at any time.
I pray that your daughter will still find the house that was meant for her. As they say it only takes one house.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCATFAN View Post
My daughter is going through the recruitment process at UK and went in with such high hopes and excitement, only to be invited back to 4 houses after the first cut. Two of those houses were among her top picks, but both of those were cut as of this morning. That leaves her with two. She is crushed. I, myself, did not go through rush and had no idea it was so cut-throat. It reminds me of middle school. I just don't understand it... my DD is a beautiful girl, but she is on the shy side, so has never been extremely social or in the "popular" crowd. One of her main reasons for doing rush was to make friends and develop socially. We are encouraging her to go to the two houses she has left and take a better look. Maybe she got in those last two houses because she wasn't as nervous and didn't try as hard as she might have at her top picks. It is a heartbreaking process for all involved. I'm very happy for the ones that do make it, but to have such a big let down right before classes begin is not a good thing at all.
You gave her great advice. I'll add, that she needs to really look at those two houses as if they're the only houses on the UK campus. If she goes all the way through the pref parties and decides that neither of the remaining are truly for her...then is the time to withdraw. However, those groups remaining are lovely women who saw something special in your daughter. Keep encouraging her!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Two things:

1) It only takes one.

2) If your daughter is shy, she may best fit in a chapter with other women on the shy side. It is tough right this minute, because those chapters just can't compete with the really outgoing chapters for the PNM's affection during rush, but it means that she will ultimately end up in a more comfortable place.

As she has pointed out, maybe she wasn't trying so hard in the two she has left. Wouldn't it be nice to end up in a chapter where she doesn't have to try so hard or be anything but herself?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, ladies. We'll see how it goes. I'm not sure her self-esteem can handle much more, but we're encouraging her to keep it up. My husband was very involved in the fraternities at UK and still is very involved with alumni and his fraternity, and even he was shocked at how different the girls are from the boys. It's also frustrating for the girls to be told they need to be up and ready to go by 7:30 a.m., and then some find out that they don't have to be anywhere until late afternoon...
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

UKCATFAN my heart breaks for both you and your daughter!!! I hope she can get excited for her two parties today and it all works out for her in the end. I was not involved in greek life and have been reading posts on here for months and have seen where many girls were in your daughters position and everything worked out for them and I pray that the same will be for yours!

These are VERY long days and emotions run high!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

BTW, is she guaranteed now to get into either of these houses? Can she still be cut from them? I just want to be prepared.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BTW, is she guaranteed now to get into either of these houses? Can she still be cut from them? I just want to be prepared.
There will be another round of cuts tonight.

I am not sure how it works at UK if they attend all parties that they are invited to after tomorrow. I know some schools are guaranteed bids as long as the PNM maximizes all their options but I don't know if UK does that or not. Can anyone else help on this one?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMOM14 View Post
There will be another round of cuts tonight.

I am not sure how it works at UK if they attend all parties that they are invited to after tomorrow. I know some schools are guaranteed bids as long as the PNM maximizes all their options but I don't know if UK does that or not. Can anyone else help on this one?
If she attends preference parties and lists all options on her bid card before signing, she should be placed.

She could still be cut before preference, but the system is designed to make the heaviest cuts come early, and there's a good chance she will have pref invites.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 08-14-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I spoke with my daughter at lunch time. She is exhuasted but having lot of fun. She really likes at least 4 houses. One of them is not considered a "good house" at UK but she really likes the girls here and feels very comfortable with them.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Good house shmood house. If she's in it, how can it not be good?