GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,367
1 members and 1,366 guests
John

Old 04-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Nope, an older one. I wish Delta Gamma the best of luck with their recolonization and the house design is so beautiful!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
When Alpha Phi came to Alabama, it was a recolonization of our Beta Mu chapter that was present from 1932-1963. Also, I have learned that we purchased the Sigma Delta Tau house that we are currently housed in and plan to tear it down and rebuild a new, larger house in it's place. I am not sure of the timeline to have it finished but I'm sure it is within the next couple of years.
what exciting news-can't wait to see the plans for the bama alpha phi house!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Are there floorplans for the DG house? Or just exterior renderings? I am a total dork for fraternity/sorority floorplans...apparently my former chapter has just received the plans for their new house and I have been scrambling to get a PDF copy.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
There's another difference as well. DG is a much more "southern" sorority. Lots more legacies and a higher profile in traditionally southern sorority circles.
Agreed. I also wonder if Ole Miss DGs will go and help since Ole Miss doesn't have formal recruitment until the first week of October this year. Tuscaloosa is an easy drive from Oxford. (Of course the Miss State DGs are even closer to help!) Either way, they will have lots of Mississippi DGs to help!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
Also, I have learned that we purchased the Sigma Delta Tau house that we are currently housed in and plan to tear it down and rebuild a new, larger house in it's place.
Thanks APhi4Ever - I had heard they purchased the house, but didn't know for sure.
There are floor plans, but I'm not sure if they've been okayed yet for general distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
Agreed. I also wonder if Ole Miss DGs will go and help since Ole Miss doesn't have formal recruitment until the first week of October this year. Tuscaloosa is an easy drive from Oxford. (Of course the Miss State DGs are even closer to help!) Either way, they will have lots of Mississippi DGs to help!
I do hope to see their shining faces! Along with collegiates from our chapters at UAB, Montevallo, Auburn, and Spring Hill!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am a total dork for fraternity/sorority floorplans
Me too! A number of the Tennessee NPC chapters have published the floorplans for their soon-to-be houses on their web sites, and I wasted I don't know how many hours studying each one!

The plans for the expanded Theta house at Bama are sorta kinda visible on an easel behind an alum in an online picture, and I was even poring over that one to see whatever I could.
________
How to roll blunts

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I am hoping we'll get to see the floorplans for even one of the new Alabama houses. Renderings are nice, but I love to see how residential building trends reflect themselves in GLO house design, as well as dormitory trends...for example, many new houses have suites instead of the traditional bedrooms and communal bathrooms, very interested to see if any of the Bama houses go that untraditional route since it is a school steeped in tradition. Also always get a kick out of seeing the differences between the larger fraternity houses and the larger sorority houses...basement party rooms and open space vs. arts and crafts area and more designated officer/meeting space, etc.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

DG will have traditional rooms with communal baths as well as a few private ones. And yes, chapter room, small group meeting space, crafts, recruitment storage, etc in the basement. There are lounges/TV rooms and study rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Usual stuff on main level - formal living room, casual room, TV room, dining, kitchen, HD suite.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
^^^^
what she said .. I'd love to see them as well .. could someone who has some please start one?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^me three! I'm most interested in what the house mother's / facility director's quarters look like.

must have dog door.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a silly question that's a little unrelated-
I've seen the term house mom come up a few times in this thread. I don't go to a school with houses, so the idea is a little foreign to me. Does she serve as an RA-type for the whole house? Are they usually an alumna of the chapter they serve?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
House moms (now usually known as House Directors) are usually employed by the house corporation to be the day to day manager of the house. This is usually in chapters that have large houses. In the "olden" days the house mom as the chaperone as well as manager. She supervises the staff, which may consist of cook(s), kitchen help/servers, house cleaning staff, and maintenance people. She is usually the one who plans the meals and does the shopping. She makes sure that everything is locked up at night.

Regarding being a member, each group has different requirements as to membership of the house mom. Again in the
"olden" days fraternities all had house mothers, none of whom would have been members. My grandmother was house
mother for ZTA at the University of Kentucky in the 50s and was not a member. The house mother we had in the 70s was not a member, however we did initiate her the year she retired.

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 04-21-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

When doing a campus visit earlier this year at Bama with my daughter, lots of girls were talking about DG coming to campus. Very exciting for DG and the Greek system.
And my that house will be beautiful..

Oh and Carnation the Tri Delts round house has serious foundation issues. So sad because it is very cool.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Oh! I hate that for Tri Delt! Is the Chi O foundation okay?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Oh! I hate that for Tri Delt! Is the Chi O foundation okay?
I think so the Chi O house looked beautiful from the outside. The only house my friend's daughter told me about was Tri Delt. She also had a Tri Delt friend that took my daughter to the house for a quick visit. I think the girls move out at the end of the year....