GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,699
2 members and 2,697 guests
John

Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck Bamagirl! I know tomorrow is the first invitational party.... excited to hear how it goes/went since you are posting after the fact! Alpha Phi has an amazing pool of PNMs to choose from!

I SO WISH I were at Bama right now...and SOOO excited that we are colonizing in my beloved SEC!!!!

I know you are holding off on posting your thoughts until later, but I was just wondering what the physical house is like? I've only been to Bama twice, so I have no idea what the structure/interiors/exteriors look like! Any fun details to share about that?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-01-2008, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelo212 View Post
...but I was just wondering what the physical house is like? I've only been to Bama twice, so I have no idea what the structure/interiors/exteriors look like! Any fun details to share about that?
I can tell you a tiny bit. The house is owned, of course, by Sigma Delta Tau. It's a brick house with a "New Orleans" look to it - wrought iron balconies all around. That's unusual at Alabama because it pre-dates the campus-wide architectural requirement that all buildings have columns (Kappa Alpha Theta's beautiful house also pre-dates this requirement).
It's on the corner of Colonial Drive and Paul Bryant Drive, right across Bryant Drive from Tutwiler Dorm, which is an all-girls dorm, and is next door to Phi Mu and backs up to Gamma Phi Beta. Bryant-Denny Stadium is across the street (Colonial Drive).

It's a rather small house - SDT has always been a smaller, more select group. It's a beautiful house. I've only been inside once, about 8 years ago. Two different fraternities have leased the house to use while their own houses were being built. I'm sure the SDTs are glad a sorority is now leasing it!

That reminds me...I wonder where the various sororities are having their chapter meetings now? Most of the houses' chapter rooms were only built to seat 100 or so. In fact, the only recently-built house is Pi Beta Phi's gorgeous structure. Many houses were built in the 1940s and 1950s.
Anybody know??

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-01-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

So far the inside is very nice but they aren't done yet with the remodeling. I may be able to give a few more details after tomorrow about the inside of the house since it's been over a week and they might have had some progress on it.

AΨΩ
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

"That reminds me...I wonder where the various sororities are having their chapter meetings now? Most of the houses' chapter rooms were only built to seat 100 or so. In fact, the only recently-built house is Pi Beta Phi's gorgeous structure. Many houses were built in the 1940s and 1950s.
Anybody know??"

I've not been in the Chapter Room... but my Kappa tells me it's on the second floor and everyone can fit.
"And the song from beginning to end, I found in the heart of a friend...."

Last edited by peaches321; 09-01-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

That reminds me...I wonder where the various sororities are having their chapter meetings now? Most of the houses' chapter rooms were only built to seat 100 or so. In fact, the only recently-built house is Pi Beta Phi's gorgeous structure. Many houses were built in the 1940s and 1950s.
Anybody know??

Alpha Chi fits everyone in the chapter room, but it's quite tight! Over 200 girls in a room probably meant for half that, but that's why it's great the campus is opening up to expansion!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

"It's a rather small house"

What does this mean at Bama? 40 beds? Ten?
________
Elvina

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Several chapters have started holding chapter business meetings in alternate locations, such as near by churches, due to lack of a large enough room within their house. I believe more will need to do this. Lots of talk about major remodelling plans for many in order to accomodate the large numbers. There is also a lot of talk about some investigating rebuilding completely. Either way, we're talking big bucks for just about every chapter on campus. In the meantime, I predict that since there are a limited number of locations large enough and close by that the traditional Wednesday night = all sorority chapter meetings will need to change. My .02.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM

According to their blog, Alpha Phi's Preference Round is tomorrow,

Best of luck to the Bama Alpha Phi colonization team!

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06
According to their blog, Alpha Phi's Preference Round is tomorrow
This makes me SOOO excited! I hope the PNMs have enjoyed the parties so far, I'm sure the ELC's+ colonization team have put many hours/days/weeks of hard work into this colonization/recruitment blitz and will see it come to fruition so soon!

Also, does anyone know (I'm SURE someone on here must know!) how long a colony remains a colony/until it is instated as a chapter? Is there a set time period, or does it depend on the specific colony? Or does it vary from one NPC member to another? If there is no rule or set period of time, what is the average period of time?

Again, sending positive thoughts your way, Bamagirl!

Last edited by tangelo212; 09-03-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelo212 View Post

Also, does anyone know (I'm SURE someone on here must know!) how long a colony remains a colony/until it is instated as a chapter? Is there a set time period, or does it depend on the specific colony? Or does it vary from one NPC member to another? If there is no rule or set period of time, what is the average period of time?
It varies between NPCs. Colonies in my sorority are usually installed in the spring after colonization in the fall.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It varies between NPCs. Colonies in my sorority are usually installed in the spring after colonization in the fall.
For my chapter (years before I was initiated), the colony began in September/October and the chapter was installed in mid-March. In addition to the collegiate pledges, there were about 50 or so women who AI-ed.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Best of luck to you. I don't think you gave out any identifying info, so I don't know how anyone could figure out who you were, but it's always best to err on the side of caution.
Yeah, but some of these Rush harpies have no lives and make it their business to find out who random message board people are.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

For us it is the same length of time as the NM program....6 - 8 weeks depending on the campus. Auburn was colonized in Feb and installed in April....(or was it January and March???)
Old 09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
According to their blog, Alpha Phi's Preference Round is tomorrow
For anyone:

*Generally speaking*, is a colonization preference party similar to a "regular" (for lack of a better word) preference party? For example, in formal recruitment when a PNM is invited to a preference party, according to NPC rules the PNM *must* be somewhere on the chapter's bid lists. Does this apply to a colonization? Are there first and second lists? Or is all of this left up to the individual organization and/or specific to the campus?

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
For us it is the same length of time as the NM program....6 - 8 weeks depending on the campus. Auburn was colonized in Feb and installed in April....(or was it January and March???)
Ditto for Theta.

In 2007-08 we colonized at three different universities. In each instance there was about 8 weeks from colonization to installation.

I don't know the specific dates for our Auburn colonization in Spring 2009, but my understanding is that both colonization and installation will occur next semester- just as with the three chapters last year.