GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,390
1 members and 2,389 guests
ForeverAOII

Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Are you certain this will be allowed? All of the schools I am familiar with require the high school GPA of incoming freshman. I would hate for her to be in a situation where the stated GPA on her application does not jibe with what's provided by the school or in her recommendations. Frankly, it also makes her look like she's trying to hide something.
If she went to junior college, I would assume that's her "college GPA" and supercedes her high school GPA - no matter which one is higher.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If she went to junior college, I would assume that's her "college GPA" and supercedes her high school GPA - no matter which one is higher.
So a humdrum GPA high school GPA can be completely obliterated by a couple of underwater basket weaving classes taken at the local community college that summer?

That's not the case at the schools where I've advised. They didn't even allow second semester summer school grades taken there or at a CC count towards the GPA.

Last edited by Greek_or_Geek?; 06-30-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenTooLong View Post
My daughter will be a PNM this fall. She is coming from out of state, and intends to have recs for all 12 houses. She knows only one girl in one house, where she is a legacy. She has a good resume, and will be using her GPA from jr college summer school, because it is higher than high school. Any tips on how to have the best week possible without having any connections in any of the houses?
She doesn't say whether her daughter is a Freshman but if I'm reading between the lines (daughter is a freshman and took summer school) I agree with Greek_or_Greek. I believe those grades go to the college as credits only she has no university GPA so the HS transcripts is all we have to verify GPA. It might also depend on how many credits she took. I'm thinking the dd might have a low GPA and this was the way they were going to get around that by the dd taking summer school and doing well. Probably not a bad idea but I don't think it is going to work at a competitive school where they have tons of qualified high GPA girls going through.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

The best bet would be to ask the Greek Life office at the college where the PNM will be rushing.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

OSU recruitment follows the classification status as set up by the universtiy office of admissions. If you are attending in the fall and just graduated high school and have duel credit or some junior college you would be classified as an incoming freshman with some college and both GPA's will be required on the recruitment application.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Any advice on appropriate attire for Pref? On some threads I see recommendations to wear a black dress, but not sure if this applies at OSU. She is a huge Lilly Pulitzer fan, but I'm not sure if that is dressy enough.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Lilly would be more appropriate for earlier rounds. You can never go wrong with a "little black dress".(The figurative concept of the LDB, not the literal).
This comes in a myriad of colors(from J Crew):

http://www.jcrew.com/womens_category...5118/65118.jsp

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-01-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

OSU uses GPA from core courses. Does anybody know if that's weighted or unweighted? I'll call tomorrow and ask but since I'm here I thought I'd ask.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

It is unweighted. What qualifies as honors varies greatly among schools, so this is meant to level the field.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenTooLong View Post
It is unweighted. What qualifies as honors varies greatly among schools, so this is meant to level the field.
Thank you. It varied greatly among the teachers at my school too.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Many, many sorority chapters at many, many colleges and universities expect to receive recommendations for all the PNMs that will be participating in recruitment-especially formal recruitment. The SEC does not have a monopoly on recommendation expectations, and assuming that since "your"(meaning all PNMs) school is not in the SEC, you don't need to make the effort to get recommendations to each of the sorority chapters at your school, is a risk.
This, one thousand times over.

Yes, the SEC is competitive. No question, no debate. However, there are many, many, many other schools out there that are also quite competitive and in which you will be promptly dropped after first round without a rec. I understand the PC/NPC (ha!) aspect of saying that they aren't required but sheesh. It is SO misleading to those who are not in the know.

Quote:
Most often, if you look under the "recruitment" link on ABC sorority's website at University of State, and they have a statement somewhere on there about where to mail recommendations or provide a link where alumnae can access recommendation forms, you need them.
And again, FSUZeta comes through with sage advice. I would extend this to university Panhellenic pages as well. I have seen several schools where the infamous line of "not required" is immediately followed up with addresses for every single sorority on campus.

OP- glad to hear that you have heeded your mother's and GC's advice. Best of luck to you this fall.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Blondie93, your post is exactly why it's a little confusing for PNMs. School website says you don't need it but if you get it send it with no hard deadline. Recruitment book says you can get them and each chapter's website says send recs "here". All a little confusing especially for newbies with no family history. Google and GC are my friends (along with mom).

Regarding recs: I thought I only knew 2 alumnae. They both gladly helped me with the first two recs. Then I reached out to my local Alumnae Panhellenic. They were very nice and helpful, even reviewed and helped me edit my resume. They sent out my edited resume and headshot to their group. Unfortunately I wasn't able to track who did or didn't do a rec so I felt that was up in the air. So I did more googling, found contacts for the local alumnae chapters and started sending out emails. I didn't know what to expect and WOW WOW WOW. These women were fantastic. They all responded within a few days and were extremely kind, generous, and helpful. One even responded while she was at the Natl Convention to let me know she'd help me when she got back and she did (rec has already been sent). I had a few in-person and telephone interviews and recs have been sent on my behalf. I have all my letters but 2 and I'm doing interviews this weekend for those. Once that's done on to shopping. YES!

Not that I'm an expert at all, because I'm definitely not, but be polite when you ask for a rec especially from a complete stranger. Thank them when they say "yes" and thank them again when they say they sent it. Even thank them when they're considering it because they don't have to do anything for you. If you're meeting for an interview, dress nice (not wedding dressy) but not beach dress either. Get to the meeting early, offer to buy a drink (although mine bought me a drink instead which was nice). Followup the meeting with a thank you. I guess I'm trying to say be polite and appreciative. My mom said it best "these are complete strangers doing you a favor, you accomodate them, you make it easy for them".

Thank you for your good wishes.

P.S. Thank you to greekdee who helped me with a rec for Phi Mu. I told my mom she can close her FB account now.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ You are kind and gracious, which makes it a pleasure to continue to write recs year after year. I always tell my PNMs that some (unseen and unknown to me) alumna took the time years ago to do my recs, and thus it is my turn to repay them. I do appreciate the values that you mother has instilled in you, and your insight that we often can't just drop everything at a moment's notice and do a rec. For Bama. When recruitment starts in 5 days. (yep, it's happened). You also give great advice when meeting an alumna for the first time. If only every PNM could read your post and take it to heart...

Again, best of luck. Hopefully the only ice cream and chocolate to be eaten will be done so with brand new pledge sisters. Please come back and let us know how things go for you!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcjane View Post
Blondie93, your post is exactly why it's a little confusing for PNMs. School website says you don't need it but if you get it send it with no hard deadline. Recruitment book says you can get them and each chapter's website says send recs "here". All a little confusing especially for newbies with no family history. Google and GC are my friends (along with mom).
It's because NPC as an entity doesn't honestly know what each sorority/chapter requires for membership and they can't say "you need recs or you will be cut." It's kind of like a mall's management can't enforce a mall-wide sale because the corporate HQ of Forever 21 or whoever might not be down with it.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

A friend and I were talking about recruitment. She's going to a different school so we were comparing notes about the different recruitment books, houses, GPAs, etc. On GPAs, if a chapter lists a minimum and you don't meet it does that mean you're an automatic cut? Is it set in stone or is it a gray area decided individually?

From what I've read cuts are easiest based on GPA and recs (or lack of) in the first round. We were wondering how black and white that is. I'm ok but she misses a few at her school (PAC-12).