GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,239
3 members and 1,236 guests
naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 07-19-2004, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aphibeach

thank you. it's like that in NC too
ditto on Ohio
Old 07-19-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
wannagogreek, I'd be wary about trusting the opinions of others and using that information to make your decision on what sorority you would like to join. While I understand that no one wants to join a house littered with external and internal problems, or is struggling with numbers, you never know what the real story is like until you get there.

When I was a PNM, I asked a fraternity guy if he could tell me what the difference was between the two sororities on our campus. He said some very cruel things about both groups. The two groups on our campus are amazing organizations, and he definitely did not give me any help whatsoever.

It's not a difference between each sorority that you can see. It's a difference you have to FEEL, and you have to give each group a fair chance in order to be fair to yourself.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-19-2004, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
Yeah I totally agree. I asked a fraternity guy's opinion too and then went into rush thinking that was the one for me, but turns out they werent and while they are a wonderful organization you can FEEL the difference.
Wannagogreek- have you checked out the greek life page on the campuses website? They usually have a lot of information about the sororities different philanthropies and activities they hold each year. You can also learn a lot about their history, symbols, mascots, etc.....I would check that out.
Good Luck!
Kayla
Old 07-19-2004, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hannahgirl
ditto on Ohio
ditto in texas
Old 07-19-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I would just go and find their websites and look around...

SDSU NPCs
Alpha Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/cfsl/noflash/...Directory.html

Long Beach
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Gamma Phi Beta
Sigma Kappa
http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/stude...eek/greeklife/
Old 07-19-2004, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
I would just go and find their websites and look around...

SDSU NPCs
Alpha Chi Omega
Delta Gamma
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
http://www.sa.sdsu.edu/cfsl/noflash/...Directory.html

We also have an AEPhi colony
Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

It's not a violation of rules for a TKE to give his impressions on different houses.

I'm sure she's a big girl and can make decisions for herself.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-19-2004, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
It's not a violation of rules for a TKE to give his impressions on different houses.

I'm sure she's a big girl and can make decisions for herself.
It's not against the rules for him, but it is against the rules for sorority women to contact PNMs outside of Recruitment parties before Recruitment starts. Someone mentioned PMs and even that could be considered a violation of the rules.

The reason a few of us said to not ask the guys is because we've had bad experiences asking guys their opinion, or we know that no one truthfully has an unbiased opinion.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-19-2004, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Not only that but if the fraternity MEN were true gentlemen, they would respect our rules.

KLTC
Old 07-19-2004, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Long Beach State alumna, and a Gamma Phi Beta, I can tell you that the CSULB Greek Life website is not that helpful. It's a nice looking website, but the information for NPC recruitment seems sort of like an afterthought - just the dates and application. Plus, not all of the NPC chapters have a local website. Please note, however, that Alpha Omicron Pi does have a website. The Greek Life Office hasn't gotten around to updating the listing yet. Their website address is: http://www.aoiicsulb.org/

http://www.csulb.edu/divisions/stude...eek/index.html is the link directly to the Greek Life home page.

I am flattered that you seem to like Gamma Phi Beta so much. Though, I am not sure why you favor my organization over all the others! There are some really fantastic sororties at both universities! I echo what the others are saying. Go through recruitment with the idea that you'll at least give all of the groups a fair chance. Allow yourself to be open to finding out which one truly speaks to your heart. If you do that, you can't go wrong.

Best Wishes,

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 07-19-2004, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gphib_95
I noticed that SDSU did not have any web links for it's chapters.

I'm not sure if you missed it, but they do. The link OleMissGlitter posted goes straight to the listings. If you don't see the webpage links, you might have to scroll to the right.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 07-19-2004, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an adviser at CSULB for AOII. I'm pretty sure the links on the Greek Life Office's web page are down. At least they are supposed to be. They were supposed to be taken off as of 6/1/04 per panhellenic. And all pictures with rho gamma's were supposed to be taken off of chapter websites as of that day too.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The link SDSU gave for Kappa Delta is the national website. Here's the local one:
http://sdkd.org/
Old 07-19-2004, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
We also have an AEPhi colony
It is my understanding from conversations with our advisors at SDSU that they are still a local group and that Panhellenic has not yet voted in favor of allowing them to associate with a national organization.

wannagogreek, both CSULB and SDSU have awesome chapters of a lot of great NPC groups. Like some others have said I strongly encourage you to check out the chapter websites and go through recruitment. I know from experience in working with our chapters that you will meet fabulous women.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stacekat
I'm an adviser at CSULB for AOII. I'm pretty sure the links on the Greek Life Office's web page are down. At least they are supposed to be. They were supposed to be taken off as of 6/1/04 per panhellenic. And all pictures with rho gamma's were supposed to be taken off of chapter websites as of that day too.

Hrm...well, the links for Delta Zeta and Sigma Kappa are still functional (they are in the center of the page and also in the column on the left). Actually, technically, Alpha Phi's link is still there too....but because the HTML code was entered improperly the link turns up an error. Even so, I managed to notice that and was able to easily pull up their chapter website too. You may want to go to the website to see for yourself.

If the links aren't supposed to be available, then it hardly seems fair for 2 or 3 of the 7 orgs to have links while the others don't. I mean, as far as I know, Gamma Phi Beta-Gamma Eta doesn't have a website, but AOII-Lambda Beta does. If DZ, AP and SK get to have theirs up, the AOII should as well.

I'm not sure why Panhellenic would want to take the website links down. Wouldn't you want to encourage PNMs to be informed by looking at everyone's websites?

Can you explain this policy to me? I'm really curious.

If it's about evening the playing field between those that have websites and those that don't, then I don't agree with this policy. If a chapter needs a website to be competitive, then perhaps they should find a sister, alumna, family member or *someone* to help them with one. Hey....I'm all about helping. *I* would create a website for any sorority that needed one! It just doesn't seem fair that sisters who were progressive enough to get a website together (like your chapter!) don't get to share it with the PNMs.

Just in case there is a misunderstanding, please remember that your org has a website and mine doesn't. I'm actually arguing for something which favors you and not me.

.....Kelly

True and Constant