GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,444
0 members and 1,444 guests
No Members online

Old 11-08-2006, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to noobishactz Send a message via MSN to noobishactz
Updates from Omicron Zeta

Hey Guys.
I am a newly initiated brother at the Omicron-Zeta chapter at the University of Hawaii.
The guy in the middle was our former GM Brother Mike Ray.
I have never seen that picture before and it is pretty cool.
Jason Bothwell who I just met just recently came back from Iraq and is out DGM.
I enjoy being part of Kappa Sigma and glad I am here. We do have another national Organization Fraternity which is the TKE's yet they have approximately 4 members to my knowledge. And we have a Local Fraternity KEO which has about 25 members. We are by far the largest Greek Organization currently on campus.
We are going through some changes our self yet see a great future for us.

This is photo from our last Pledge Retreat. This was taken the day before teh Earthquake in Hawaii hit us. We have about 40 active brothers in our chapter.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-20-2006, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Pertaining to the islands. University of Hawaii at Hilo (Omicron-Zeta is at Manoa) on the Big Island is attempting to start a colony! Hopefully soon it will be set up!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobishactz View Post
Pertaining to the islands. University of Hawaii at Hilo (Omicron-Zeta is at Manoa) on the Big Island is attempting to start a colony! Hopefully soon it will be set up!
They don't have Greek Life (besides the professional fraternities) at all, do they?

Good luck with that.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
They don't have Greek Life (besides the professional fraternities) at all, do they?

Good luck with that.
Hmm, that would be quite a challenge. Has the Greek system failed there previously?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Hmm, that would be quite a challenge. Has the Greek system failed there previously?
From what I know of the campus, I don't think anyone's even bothered to colonize there.

Hilo's a sleepy little town on the Big Island and campus population isn't as diverse as Manoa. You can't find a good restaurant that's open past 8PM!

The majority of its students are Hawai`i residents who haven't really been exposed to Greek Life and don't know much about it. I wish Kappa Sigma the best of luck there, but if Greek Life is weak at a commuter campus like Manoa with 18,000 students, I find it hard for any social GLO to get off the ground in Hilo.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
From what I know of the campus, I don't think anyone's even bothered to colonize there.

Hilo's a sleepy little town on the Big Island and campus population isn't as diverse as Manoa. You can't find a good restaurant that's open past 8PM!

The majority of its students are Hawai`i residents who haven't really been exposed to Greek Life and don't know much about it. I wish Kappa Sigma the best of luck there, but if Greek Life is weak at a commuter campus like Manoa with 18,000 students, I find it hard for any social GLO to get off the ground in Hilo.
Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound like the best of circumstances for a GLO, but I hope for the sake of the guys who join up that things work out. Nothing would be more disappointing than putting in all that work for nothing to come of it.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:03 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound like the best of circumstances for a GLO, but I hope for the sake of the guys who join up that things work out. Nothing would be more disappointing than putting in all that work for nothing to come of it.
I hope so too.

But I'm glad to know that these guys are making an attempt. They've done so much already in their short time at Manoa, and if there's a group to pull it off -- it's these guys.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes Hilo is a large geographically area compared to Manoa yet population size is a bit smaller. And being from Hawaii and Graduating from a Hawaiian Only High School I do have many friends who attend Hilo. They have a very large interest group there and I along with my Omicron-Zeta Brothers are excited about them starting. We will be there for their pledge ceremonies coming next semester hopefully and will be there to help them rush.

Please do not quote me on this either but I am a transfer student to Manoa and I came from a private university up the road called Chaminade. They are looking at starting a Greek System and I have been planning with our DGM in starting a Colony there also coming up.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:

Please do not quote me on this either but I am a transfer student to Manoa and I came from a private university up the road called Chaminade. They are looking at starting a Greek System and I have been planning with our DGM in starting a Colony there also coming up.
Who's "they"? The Marianists? I assume you're from Kapaaaaaaalama? I MUA!

Glad to know that y'all got the ball rolling in Hilo.

As someone who's also very familiar with Chaminade University (I took advanced classes there in HS and studied there for my post-grad work), I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the chances of a fraternity surviving there are way better than a sorority's. I'd love to see a much more diverse Greek Life in the islands, and while I certainly don't speak for the NPC, I find it highly unlikely that another NPC will colonize here anytime soon. It's geographically and financially risky, IMO. But hopefully things can change if expansionary activity takes place with Kappa Sigma.

Is HPU next, then?

Please keep me informed. All this has definitely piqued my interest.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes Imua Kamehameha. I am from Kapalama Campus. At Chaminade for some reason the administration has been talking about bringing Greek Life in yet the students really do not know what Greek Life is.

And the Hilo Colony seems to be doing fine. I hope that do well and now we have a reason to visit the other islands. And hopefully they will be able to come down to Manoa for Greek Olympics.

As for any other National Organization coming down we do hope so. I feel that Kappa Sigma is a corner stone of a new Greek Age in Hawaii. We were able to create a pretty strong group here in Hawaii and know that we are not the only ones that are able to do this. I was just talking with one of my cousin who I just found out is a TKE Alumni and he said when he was at Manoa Greek Life was great and that was only 10 years ago. I think we will be able to bring it back strong at Manoa.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Yes Imua Kamehameha. I am from Kapalama Campus. At Chaminade for some reason the administration has been talking about bringing Greek Life in yet the students really do not know what Greek Life is.

And the Hilo Colony seems to be doing fine. I hope that do well and now we have a reason to visit the other islands. And hopefully they will be able to come down to Manoa for Greek Olympics.

As for any other National Organization coming down we do hope so. I feel that Kappa Sigma is a corner stone of a new Greek Age in Hawaii. We were able to create a pretty strong group here in Hawaii and know that we are not the only ones that are able to do this. I was just talking with one of my cousin who I just found out is a TKE Alumni and he said when he was at Manoa Greek Life was great and that was only 10 years ago. I think we will be able to bring it back strong at Manoa.
10 years ago eh? I may know your cousin. PM me with his name, if you don't mind. We had a strong relationship with the TKEs back then!

Chaminade's always been a weird campus and that's why I passed them over when deciding on where I should do my undergrad. I don't know... they're not really known for an active and busy student involvement. Hopefully all that can change.

But who knows though? Maybe you'll generate interest with the seniors at St. Louis going off to college?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah it is true that the student life inst the greatest there. That is why i left and I love it at Manoa and joining Kappa Sigma is the greatest thing I have ever done. Yet while I was at Chaminade I was the president of our paintball club and Chaminade supports the students very well with facilities and financial help.