GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,106
0 members and 1,106 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Then there are coed chapters, again at PWIs, who hold IFC offices they should not hold and/or use membership selection in a way more like an NPC or NIC group would.
I see what you mean. However, some of that would be in the gender and APO threads where members have discussed the debate over co-ed or nonco-ed chapters. That's very rooted in gender (and not a more objective organizational transformation concern) because even the female APO brothers who don't transform chapters into NPC replicas have caught flack.

Quote:
So there is a racial factor, yes, but it's hardly the whole story.
"It's hardly the whole story" is a common response when people bring up race or gender. It was never presented as the "whole story."

I was actually initially just saying that I can understand why members (of all historically and predominantly white organizations, not just APO) don't want members at HBCUs to transform the organization. I happened to state the obvious which is that HBCU members are predominantly Black and APO brothers are predominantly white.

But, people will never get to even half of the story if it makes them feel safe to keep pretending as though the APO/A-Phi-Q thing is merely conveniently nested in HBCUs and some Black members at PWIs.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-12-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Raspberry Lemonade.

Many years ago, I heard Alpha Phi Omega referred to as Lemonade. The balance of Leadership, Friendship and Service at each chapter were compared to the Lemon Juice, Sugar and Water in each glass of Lemonade. This comparison was extended by referring to the chapters at the HBCUs as Raspberry Lemonade...

Having watched co-ed extension efforts at a number of HBCUs, there is no question in my mind, that an extension effort at an HBCU designed to make them a copy of a chapter at the State's 1862 Land Grant school will almost certainly not work. This is even presuming that the school has never had an Alpha Phi Omega chapter and there there is no interaction with anyone who has ever pledged at a chapter at an HBCU. They *will* be expected by the other Greek Letter Organizations on campus (and probably administration) to have a plot, to order their pledges by height and to Step. They might even come up with the idea of referring to themselves as A Phi Que due to Omega Psi Phi being referred to as the Ques without anyone letting them know that this is done elsewhere. (This wouldn't occur to them at a school without Omega Psi Phi).

Yes, there were chapters at PWIs that were all-male, *but* as far as I can tell, some significant percentage of the chapters at PWIs that voted against going co-ed in 1976 did so later. As far as I can tell in the 32 years that chapters were *allowed* to go coed, *NO* functioning all-male chapter at an HBCU has decided to take on a co-ed pledge line (class). I'm still waiting for a specific example of this in the last couple of years since going co-ed was really pushed. (FA&MU?)

I've never heard of any concern about Alpha Phi Omega chapters starting to operate like an NPC (Hist White) sorority. The NPC chapters wouldn't want us counted in with them and unless the greek system is incredibly weak, they wouldn't consider including us in their rush concept. Just because a chapter starts blackballing doesn't mean that they are emulating the NPC. I'd also be interested in any chapter with a set upper limit on the number of pledges that they will take that isn't done with the idea of keeping the pledges from overwhelming a small chapter (If a chapter of 8 wants no more than 12 pledges, I can understand that)

Also, let's make it clear that there are chapters and members of chapters which refer to themselves as A Phi Que that are in perfect agreement with the National Fraternity on policy on membership and gender. Their activities in various areas (pledging, fellowship, competition, etc) may be those that the chapter at University of Alaska - Southeast would never consider doing (and would be stupid to do), but that doesn't mean they aren't doing just fine.

On the other hand, as far as I can tell, both Viking *and* Rising Sun as any part of a self description at the individual or a group *do* indicate a discontent with at least the current policy of forcing chapters to go co-ed and almost certainly discontent with the decision of the Fraternity to admit women in the first place. *NO* alumni association referring to itself with either of those terms will *ever* admit a woman. The Fraternity as a whole has never placed any rules on who a geographical alumni association must accept as members and until that is done, the fraternity is accepting de facto all-male alumni associations (Men of the Rising Sun - (city name)), even beyond those which exist for inactive chapters which have never admitted women. (For example Mu Gamma - Morgan State U).

As for websites on Tripod, I have no idea the last time that Jesse updated it...

Let me know if there is any issue on the thread I haven't covered...
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I'd also be interested in any chapter with a set upper limit on the number of pledges that they will take that isn't done with the idea of keeping the pledges from overwhelming a small chapter (If a chapter of 8 wants no more than 12 pledges, I can understand that)
Gamma Gamma just limited its pledge class to 50 this semester because the chapter is getting too large. They apparently have around 200 actives right now. I don't live in the Bay Area and haven't visited, so I can't confirm that number, but I got that number from an advisor I trust. Word on the street is that the idea was discussed at the Membership Academy in San Jose, and several chapters in Region X are proposing similar limits.

Last edited by Pingyang; 09-12-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I've never heard of any concern about Alpha Phi Omega chapters starting to operate like an NPC (Hist White) sorority. The NPC chapters wouldn't want us counted in with them and unless the greek system is incredibly weak, they wouldn't consider including us in their rush concept. Just because a chapter starts blackballing doesn't mean that they are emulating the NPC.
There was a thread on here (I'm pretty sure you posted in it) about an APO chapter being part of the school's IFC, and a member being elected IFC president. This makes no sense as IFC deals with rushing and such and APO shouldn't be rushing in the same way as an IFC is.

I have never heard of an APO chapter running like an NPC. That's not really what I was referring to. A service sorority chapter here and there, though, yes - although I think the more stringent insistences on having proper insurance are wiping this out.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyang View Post
Gamma Gamma just limited its pledge class to 50 this semester because the chapter is getting too large. They apparently have around 200 actives right now. I don't live in the Bay Area and haven't visited, so I can't confirm that number, but I got that number from an advisor I trust. Word on the street is that the idea was discussed at the Membership Academy in San Jose, and several chapters in Region X are proposing similar limits.
Interesting. I *think* a preset limit would be acceptable with the National Pledging Standards.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There was a thread on here (I'm pretty sure you posted in it) about an APO chapter being part of the school's IFC, and a member being elected IFC president. This makes no sense as IFC deals with rushing and such and APO shouldn't be rushing in the same way as an IFC is.

I have never heard of an APO chapter running like an NPC. That's not really what I was referring to. A service sorority chapter here and there, though, yes - although I think the more stringent insistences on having proper insurance are wiping this out.
I seem to remember the thread as well. Due to Sorority Rush being *significantly* more organized and regimented then Fraternity Rush, I expect a school's IFC to spend less time percentagewise on rush than a schools NPC.

Yeah, I actually see Alpha Phi Omega's refusal to be on FIPG as being a more significant argument for keeping us *out* of the NIC/NPC/Greek Council than the fact that Alpha Phi Omega brothers can also be in other members of the Council.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyang View Post
I don't think I've said recently how much I love Gamma Gamma.

I love Gamma Gamma.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:49 PM
88Lover

I personally am not dealing with the situation. It's more a few chapter Brothers feeling uncomfortable with the situation and it was brought up to everybody's attention.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
88Lover

It's actually a situation involving a Grand Little (my little's little) and her friend who is also a chapter Brother. Neither of them have transferred but there have been a few incidents where they have told me about APO/A-Phi-Q conflict and a few of those members have transferred to the school. I no longer attend the school.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe you should let these chapters do their own thing, who are they bothering? Let each man rep his own fraternity as he see's fit. cough cough excuse me, men and women.

Make no mistake however, nationals putting their foot down makes separatist organizations like mine that much more meaningful

Pi Chi
All-Male Since 1966
Old 09-16-2010, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPiChi View Post
Let each man rep his own fraternity as he see's fit. cough cough excuse me, men and women.

Make no mistake however, nationals putting their foot down makes separatist organizations like mine that much more meaningful
"The man doth protest too much, methinks."

Pi Chi
All-Male Since 1966
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvid1978 View Post
That isn't about "white folks who don't want black folks in charge", so please take your race card elsewhere as it is not accepted here.
see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBmGW8nflIQ

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut