GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,210
1 members and 1,209 guests
JayhawkAOII
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Kappas badly represented

Just wanted to let y'all know that I saw a particularly disturbing picture of some Kappas. My boyfriend's buddy was e-mailed a pic of Kappa Bid Day 2000 (no school noted) and every Kappa is topless. Some are wearing bras but most are totally nude up top and holding their breasts, all of them displaying big grins. My friend has put this pic on his computer as wallpaper, for all Greeks here to see. I wouldn't appreciate this kind of representation for my sorority and I hope you feel the same way. This picture does not represent y'all well, I am friends w/several Kappas and know you are great girls, but this pic is making y'all look bad.
Old 03-05-2001, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

That is really sad to hear, but I guess what it really comes down to is that all chapters of Kappa can't control what other chapters do or how they act. Unfortunately, this picture may make us look bad, but that is NOT how we all act.

Erin

------------------
Rise and shine and become a Kappa Gamma!
Old 03-06-2001, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

That is disgusting! Why do males want to exploit women like that and why do women think that's cool? Nothing on Kappas in particular, because lord knows there are women in every group and walk of life that do stuff like that, unfortunately. It is such a poor reflection on the group and on women as a whole. To me, there is a difference between expressing sexuality and just being pronographic for no reason whatsoever. It makes me sad that some women do this...especially when they are representing me (a sorority woman). I hate it when people prove those damn stereotypes right!
Old 03-07-2001, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the note TxTechChiO--

Yes, the photo is out there (it's been emailed to me several times). Kappa HQ is working with the chapter (which shall remain unnamed) to help them see that what they did was less than "womanly and true," and to try to do some damage control.

If any IFC or NPC members email the picture to you, could you let them know that as members of the Greek family they should know not to proliferate such materials? I agree with SuperXO's sentiments, and as Greeks we need to try to help each other out!

Thanks again!

Panhellenically,
imsohappythatiama

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 03-07-2001, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I am grateful that NPC is taking action. FYI-- every time I go to my boyfriend's house, I run into his roommate's room and hide the picture. Every time I do this, I hide the picture under a different file name, making it all the more difficult find him to find the picture!! I've done this about 20 times and it drives him absolutley bonkers and he still can't figure out why his beloved picture keeps disappearing! I am such a sleuth. He he he he.....
By the way, he really is a great guy (and both are Greek) but I guess boys will be boys, some longer than others!!!
Old 03-09-2001, 07:12 PM

Question

This is a stupid question, and I'm not being smarta$$, but if they're topless I assume they're not wearing letters - so how do we know they're Kappas?
Old 03-10-2001, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Just a positive note here; I met a Kappa Kappa Gamma at a charity luncheon yesterday. She was not only very beautiful but sincere and we became fast friends at the lunch. I hope the KKG's don't stress about this incident to the point of making yourselves crazy - EVERY CHAPTER IS DIFFERENT - and we all know that fact! Take care and know in your heart - you are one of the best out there! Sue

------------------
I'd rather be lovable than popular and democratic than exclusive!
Old 03-10-2001, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

ISU-XO:

Thanks for the nice words. I don't think KKG HQ is stressing TOO much about the "topless photo" thing . . . just taking appropriate steps.

33girl:

The women are Kappas . . . we know because it was a bid day photo (of the Seniors, not of the whole house), and so there is a "KKG Bid Day 2001" caption across the bottom of the photo (the professional photographer who took the photo put that there). Also, not that this makes it any better, but just FYI--most of them are wearing bras and jeans. . . the other ones have on jeans but no bras or shirts, and are covering their boobs with their hands. Think of that Janet Jackson CD album cover that came out a few years back . . . that's about what they're doing.

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!

[This message has been edited by imsohappythatiama (edited March 10, 2001).]
Old 03-27-2001, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Whatever they looked awesome and I wouldn've done the same thing.

[This message has been edited by KappaGirl03 (edited March 29, 2001).]
Old 03-27-2001, 01:24 AM
Unregistered-

Despite this incident, I still believe that KKG is a wonderful organization, and this chapter's behavior should not be a reflection of ALL KKGs.

I know I'm not a Kappa, but I don't know how any KKG sister can condone this kind this kind of behavior (see the previous post--"my Kappa sisters looked hot"). But then again, with a signature like that, it comes to no surprise that a comment like that was made.

Sorry if I had offended anyone, that's just my $0.02.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

KappaGirl03--

If you are a Kappa, you should know it is inappropriate for you to use curse words in reference to the Fraternity.

Please edit your post and your signature, and use more discretion in the future. You're doing Kappa and yourself a disservice by such statements.

I'm sorry to come down on you like this in a public forum, but it needs to be said. If you'd like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to email me privately at
hawkeyehoosier@hotmail.com

In addition, for everyone's information (including KappaGirl03's), it is not true that the chapter's charter is in danger of "being pulled." I have spoken at length to the current Director of Chapters about this matter, and steps are being taken, but the chapter's charter is not in jeopardy over this photo.

KappaGirl03, if you are a proud Kappa sister, you should know better than to spread rumours whose validity is in doubt.

KKG HQ officers are taking the matter seriously, but they also realize that actives are young and just want to have fun, and sometimes don't understand the ramifications of "crazy stunts" like this one. The Director of Chapters and other National and Province officers are working with the chapter to improve/re-establish their image on campus, and to help them learn about the effects of negative PR. Let me say that I'm proud of the way KKG HQ is handling things--it's good to know that when a sister (or in this case, a group of sisters) does something to hurt the "family," we don't just kick them out of the family (by closing their chapter), we help them to see that what they did was a mistake, and then we help them to learn how to avoid repeating the mistake in the future. That's how functional, growing families should work.

--imsohappythatiama

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!

[This message has been edited by imsohappythatiama (edited March 27, 2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 09:59 PM
Unregistered-

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaGirl03:
I don't care what ya'll say that was funny that they did that, they all looked great so why not show off???
ImsohappythatIama...who the heck do you think you are?? Kappa Mother? Get a life.

[This message has been edited by KappaGirl03 (edited March 28, 2001).]
I cannot believe that a sister could ever use words like that against a fellow sister!!!

Kappagirl, you must remember that you are a representation of your sorority. This forum is not limited to only Kappas, and many people are able to access it.

Your sister's post was not intended to start a flame. She wanted to make the truth clear to those who were wondering about the status of the above mentioned chapter.

Please remember that GreekChat is a site where us Greeks can discuss topics freely. However, if someone shows any disrespect to another user or organization, their message board privileges can be terminated at the discretion of the site's administrator.

Last edited by imsohappythatiama; 02-25-2002 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
imsohappythatiama-- seems the kappa forum would benefit from you as moderator.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

<<ImsohappythatIama...who the heck do you think you are?? Kappa Mother? Get a life.
And this line below....that's our motto at my school. We yell that at every event.>>

KappaGirl03:

Who I think I am: a proud Kappa, recently graduated from the oldest continuous Kappa chapter in KKG history...a young alumna who believes in the Founders' beliefs to hold oneself to all that is womanly and true...a person who believes that common sense wins out over all...a person who wants to see Kappa and the greek system flourish for the next 100 years.

I certainly don't consider myself a "Kappa Mother," but I do consider myself my sisters' keeper. You don't seem to understand yet that Greek life is at risk in this increasingly-PC world, and Kappa is a part of that at-risk group. We must do all we can to keep our image (and our actions) clean!

Having said that, I'd like to point out that that does not mean that we can't have FUN! I understand that the topless photo grew out of some wild and crazy, good clean fun that went a little too far. It's only been 3 years since I was part of that kind of fun (I miss it!) But we have to understand that DISCRETION is key ... we have to stop and think about CONSEQUENCES sometimes... ask ourselves questions like...who's going to see that topless photo of me and my pledge sisters?...who's going to be hurt by the questionable activity we held during the New Member process?...who's going to read my signature line on some chat room on the Internet and think that Kappa is a bunch of foul-mouthed brats?

If our sisters can't keep these questions and others like them in the backs of their minds at all times, then we as their sisters must "watch their backs" and keep those sorts of consequence-oriented questions in the backs of our own minds for their sakes as individuals, for the sakes of their chapters' individual charters, and for the Fraternity's sake as a whole. That's what I was doing when I addressed your first post in this forum. I had no intention of flaming you; I'm just watching out for you (and more importantly) for KKG as a National organization.

The excuse that your chapter yells that "line" at every event, is not a good one...We had "raunchy" songs/chants, too, but we didn't "yell" them at public events, and we certainly didn't put them on the Internet for everyone to see and judge us by. I'm sure that people like your Province Director of Chapters, your Advisory Board members, and your Traveling Consultant wouldn't be happy to hear about this chant that you do in public...if you'd keep it from them (and I'm sure you do), don't post it on the Internet for everyone to see (including KKG HQ officers, who check the Internet (including GreekChat) regularly for posts like yours). You could have put your whole chapter in trouble...that's not a threat, it's just a point to think about!

KappaGirl03, I'm sorry if you felt flamed by my comments earlier, but I hope this post explains my intentions and feelings a little more fully.

I wish you the best as a sister.

Loyally,

imsohappythatiama

------------------
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!

[This message has been edited by imsohappythatiama (edited March 29, 2001).]
Old 04-02-2001, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member