GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,246
4 members and 2,242 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek, PrettyBoy

Old 11-15-2001, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

We had to fire someone today

Many of you may not realize how hard it can be on the other side.
My son is a friend (not close but a friend) of her son and we really liked her as a person. There were just too many things that were causing a disruption in our office. She never came to work on time and didn't follow through on Insurance claims. She scheduled patients to her liking and never would contact those she didn't care to talk to. Her family called during working hours to the point where my husband didn't have an assistant when I wasn't there. she made long distance phone calls and was starting to be involved with a patient. To top it off she was rather unreliable. By this I mean if we had a patient scheduled at 8:00 she might show up at 8:30. Still, we liked her. I went back to work at the office and saw how he (hubby)was being taken advantage of-when I go to work-I WORK now...I'm the *itch from hell!. I feel so bad and he does as well. He's outside moping because she didn't leave with a "smile" on her face. She told him he "Stabbed her in the back." Actually, about a month ago, he told her he was making some changes and wanted to work different hours and she said she couldn't. He also informed her he was determined to make these changes. I guess I just wanted to tell you guys that sometimes the employer doesn't have a choice. When you see an employee being a destructive force on your business (and believe me EVERYTHING boils down to the bottom line) you must let them go. I just wish it wasn't so hard and we didn't hurt her in the end.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2001, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

don't beat yourself up, she brought this upon herself by being an irresponsable employee - you did nothing wrong, she just took advantage of you, your husband, and the situation - youre nice people, it happens!
Old 11-15-2001, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks IowaHawkeye...I know in my heart we did the right thing.
It's just that it was so darned hard. Thanks for the response.
I'm going to show your response to my Hubby...he's taking it the hardest. He's such a softie. I know he will appreciate your comment.
JAM
Old 11-15-2001, 07:42 PM

That has to be rough But it sounds like she was fired for good reasons. If someone doesn't do what you're paying them to do, out they go. Don't beat yourself up - this was the right decision.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I know what you mean, justamom. I've been the head of my department for a few years now and I've not relished the moments when I've had to let people go either for economic or performance issues. I become close to the people I work with, which is the strength of my managerial skills, but also the weakness, as it makes those moments when you absolutely HAVE to assert some authority all the more difficult.

Don't stress out about it too much. You did the right thing for your business, and that's what you have to look out for, not the lazy employees needs, regardless of how much you like her personally.

And a good point to make for all the GCers who have occasional issues with their managers. Its not easy for us, either. In fact, I personally think being the boss sucks.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
You did what was best for the company, so no need to feel bad. Its just a life's lesson for her not to goof off at her next job.
Old 11-15-2001, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

She definitely brought it upon herself and you have nothing to worry about. She should be thankful that you and your husband cared so much. You should also remember that by letting her go your setting an example to other employees that work there. She might have caused some sort of domino effect. Managers definitely have it tough sometimes. I can understand how it can be tough even though I've never been one. I guess thats why they pay you the bucks.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:07 AM

Of course you are all right...

But being right doesn't make it feel good. And your actions have an impact on others -- her family, etc.

It is, I think, one of the very hardest things a person ever has to do.

But it must be done.

You did the right thing, and you feel the right way about having to do it.

If it didn't bother you, then I would worry.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-16-2001, 02:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Better work ethics

Writing people up and/or firing them is never easy, especially if you care about people. I try to look at it like this: If I never respond to someone's deficiencies, then in the long run, I'm actually doing them a disservice, even if they don't see it that way. For example, confronting an employee that is constantly late may eventually break a lifelong bad habit.

Hopefully, this will teach the lady that you had to terminate to practice better work ethics.

Last edited by tickledpink; 11-16-2001 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2001, 06:36 AM
GreekChat Member

You all are so kind, we both feel a little better about it. We hired a young woman, 20. Her instructor had worked for us prior to her current teaching position and gave a great rec on her. Her father has kidney disease and can't work. Her mother started working to make ends meet and Katy is helping with the family finances. She is sweet as can be and eager to work. Maybe we all were in the right place at the right time.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I had never seen anyone actually fired till I started my job in ATL and I will say it was an eye opening experience. But it was something we had all seen coming for so long and when it happened, I don't even think the person that was fired was that surprised. JustaMom--this girl did take advantage of your kindness and thats just not cool. But you did her a favor by letting her know that in the real world, you have to be responsible. Hopefully, she will apply this lesson to her next endevor in life and learn from this. And thats awesome you already have a new person. I bet you made her day and she is so lucky she gets to work with you!
Old 11-16-2001, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

AOPiLaLa- First, your name makes me smile everytime I read it.
There's just something about saying LaLa that makes ya feel happy!

We feel we are the lucky ones to find this young girl. Just hope everything works out for everybody!
Old 11-16-2001, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

JMom, know the feeling! I let one person go because he would not show for a meeting that I had called!!!

I was informed by my boss to fire a guy and there was no reason! I would not fire hime and I got resignated myself instead!
Probably the best thing that ever happened! The problem is having been in my own business's for the last 22 yrs., I cannot fire myself!

Dont make any money but at least i have a place to go 7 days a week!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-16-2001, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh jam...

I am so sorry about what you had to go through. I was let go one time a few years ago for not being responsible, and it was the best thing to ever happen to me. Taught me many lessons. (Of course I still am hurt by it, i did learn the lesson - and the important lessons are never easy to learn.)

Jack Canfield (I think thats his name, I could be confused) the former CEO of General Electric says in his new book that firing someone for poor job performance is the best thing you can do for someone because keeping them on benefits neither employeer or employee. Its the only way they can learn the life lesson...

Still sucks tho...
Old 11-16-2001, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to smiles23
I truly believe that everything happens for a reason. Finding this young gal is probably just what you needed.

Just entering the "real world" I have found it difficult to work with others who are unreliable and bring the whole team down. I definitely only want to work with hard-working team players in my crew.