GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,138
2 members and 2,136 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 10-18-2007, 11:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up The Board of Directors of The Coca-Cola Company Elects Alexis M. Herman as Director

The Board of Directors of The Coca-Cola Company Elects Alexis M. Herman as Director

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 18, 2007--The Coca-Cola Company Board of Directors today elected former U.S. Secretary of Labor Alexis M. Herman as a Director of the Company, effective immediately. As part of her election, Secretary Herman was appointed to the Public Issues and Diversity Review Committee of the Board.

Secretary Herman served as America's 23rd Secretary of Labor and was the first African-American ever to lead the U.S. Department of Labor. Secretary Herman currently serves as chair and chief executive officer of New Ventures, Chair of the Diversity Advisory Board of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., and is a member of the boards of directors of Cummins Inc., Entergy Corporation and MGM Mirage. She served as chairwoman of The Coca-Cola Company's Human Resources Task Force from 2001 to 2006.

Secretary Herman was appointed by President Jimmy Carter as the youngest director of the Women's Bureau in the history of the Labor Department.

A recipient of more than 20 honorary doctorate degrees from major colleges and universities, she also serves on the Board of Trustees of Xavier University of Louisiana and is a trustee of the National Labor College. Her nonprofit work includes the National Urban League and the National Epilepsy Foundation as well as her role as co-chair of the Bush Clinton Katrina Fund.

The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company.

Along with Coca-Cola(R), recognized as the world's most valuable brand, the Company markets four of the world's top five nonalcoholic sparkling brands, including Diet Coke(R), Fanta(R) and Sprite(R), and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light beverages, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees, energy and sports drinks. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding 1.4 billion servings each day. For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, please visit our website at www.thecoca-colacompany.com.

http://www.blackprwire.com/display-news.asp?id=3546
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Soror Josephine Lightfoot Whitsett, Charter member of Gamma Iota, Lauded by the Charlotteville, Virginia Community

Josephine Lightfoot Whitsett, a retired high school counselor, devotes most of her time to her church, Ebenezer Baptist, and her sorority, Delta Sigma Theta. (The Daily Progress/Andrew Shurtleff)

Charlottesville has undergone some major transformations in the past eight decades. Schools have been desegregated. Neighborhoods have changed. The population has increased, as has traffic.

Josephine Lightfoot Whitsett, 84, has seen it all. Whitsett, who lives in the same house on Page Street in which she was born, worked as an educator in the city school system for nearly four decades and remains active in the community both through her public service sorority - Delta Sigma Theta - and her church - Ebenezer Baptist on Sixth Street.“I can’t even fathom the number of lives she has touched,” said Jacqueline Estes, who attended city schools and has taught at Charlottesville High School for 29 years. “She’s made a big impact across the city of Charlottesville on so many people, especially children.”

As a child, Whitsett fell in love with school.

“I was always infatuated with school,” Whitsett said. “And I like people, especially young people, so I think that motivated me to become a teacher.”

Read the rest here
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

That's Wonderful

I will forward to my chapter sorors!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool The Great Debaters and Delta Sigma Theta

By now, you've seen the movie The Great Debaters and you admired the character Samantha Booke portrayed by Jurnee Smollett. But did you know that Samantha Booke is really the story of Henrietta Bell Wells? Last week I did some research about Samantha which led me to Mrs. Wells. This morning I learned that Mrs. Wells is our Soror who is ill right now. She's also served as past president of Houston Alumnae chapter.

For some reason the Houston Chronicle article won't open for me, but here is another article from a closer source to Soror Wells.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

CT4,
Why was I almost in tears after listening to this amazing woman?? These are the types of stories I love to read about!!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkies up View Post
CT4,
Why was I almost in tears after listening to this amazing woman?? These are the types of stories I love to read about!!
Me too! In the Houston article, it mentioned how she worked 3 jobs at the same time while taking her classes and preparing for the debates. Talk about hard working.

I wish I had known the Houston article was temporary because I would have saved it to my hard drive.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to arizona13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 View Post
Me too! In the Houston article, it mentioned how she worked 3 jobs at the same time while taking her classes and preparing for the debates. Talk about hard working.
sounds very familiar...a mirror of sorts...I wish her well...
Old 01-07-2008, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

That Houston Chronicle article is no longer available online but here is another article that offers a great look at our Soror Henrietta Bell Wells.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FLKING
Wink

Quote:
That Houston Chronicle article is no longer available online but here is another article that offers a great look at our Soror Henrietta Bell Wells.
Paper: Houston Chronicle
Date: Sun 12/23/2007
Section: A
Page: 19
Edition: 3 STAR

PROFILE: HENRIETTA BELL WELLS / `Great Debater' overcame odds to bust barriers / The team's sole woman and last survivor grew up in the Fourth Ward

By SALATHEIA BRYANT
For The Chronicle

The Great Debaters, opening in theaters on Christmas Day, tells the story of the triumph of underdogs. It is also Henrietta Bell Wells' story.

Born in Houston's Fourth Ward on the banks of Buffalo Bayou and raised by a struggling single mother from the West Indies, Wells became the only female member of the 1930 debate team from Wiley College who participated in the first collegiate interracial debate in the United States. She is the last surviving member of the 1930s team coached by Melvin B. Tolson.

But for Wells, her involvement in the real life events that inspired the movie that stars Denzel Washington was just about living.

"I was just lucky, that's what I think," the 95-year-old Wells said at the Houston facility where she now lives. "I just thought I was living my life. I don't think we thought we were doing any great job. We were in the debate team for fun, just doing our best."

Wells met Tolson, who would later become a role model throughout her college career, in freshman English.

Hectic balancing act

He talked her into trying out for the debate team. Reluctant, she took the stage, stood behind the podium and read for him. Satisfied with her reading, Tolson put her on the team.

"I told him I don't know anything about debating and I don't have any money to take off from class to be on the debate team," Wells said. "I was the only girl, and I was the only freshman. They (the boys) didn't seem to mind me."

The schedule was hectic. She had to make night practices in addition to attending her day classes, all while working three jobs on campus. She worked at the Wildcat Inn, a student hangout, and did housekeeping in the dorm.

Life for a young black woman during the Jim Crow era presented Wells plenty of challenges.

She remembers her home being searched during the Camp Logan Riots of 1918, being unable to try on clothes in stores and failing a voter registration test in Louisiana.

The family didn't have much money, but Wells was always a good student, finishing as valedictorian at Phyllis Wheatley High School. Her acumen for learning earned a scholarship to attend Wiley. Even with the scholarship, she had to work for her upkeep. During her time on the debate team, her friends covered her shifts while she traveled with the team. Her need to work eventually led Wells to leave the team.

Still a debater

Friends say that Wells, however, maintained that debating spirit.

"If you listen to her, you can hear the debater," said Glenice Como, a lay minister at St. James Episcopal Church where Wells is a member. "She will hold her ground with you. If she thinks she hasn't made her point, she'll do her research."

There are those who won't forget what Wells and others from the era contributed to breaking down barriers for black debaters.

Texas Southern University debate coach Thomas F. Freeman called Tolson's decision to include a woman on his team courageous during a time when a woman's role was limited. Barbara Jordan was the first woman to travel with the TSU team in 1954. Freeman recalled a time when TSU debaters were not allowed to stay in certain hotels or eat in restaurants when traveling to compete.

"Someone has to be courageous enough to become the first," said Freeman. "I hope they (students) get a sense of history from it and realization of the problems faced by young people who wanted to forge ahead."

Wells recalled that the team went up against law students from the University of Michigan in Chicago during that interracial debate. She once wrote of that experience: "It was a non-decision debate, but we felt at the time that it was a giant step toward desegregation."

She recalled that the judge was quoted in a newspaper as having said that the two teams were evenly matched, an idea she scoffs at.

"You're talking about a debate team where one member was a freshman. They were all graduate law students. That was a whole lot we were going up against," she said.

Wells recalled that before the match, Tolson gave her pointers on how to punch up her speech. "He said, `You've got to put something in there to wake the people up,' " she recalled.

The movie has sparked new interest in Wiley College, which has a student enrollment of 926. There is even discussion about revitalizing debating that tapered off after Tolson left the university.

Humbled by the attention

While friends were happy about the film being made, some were disappointed that the female character did not use Wells' name.

Despite this, they knew Wells' contribution.

"It makes me feel very proud," said J. Marie McCleary, who was also a student assistant for Tolson. "She wasn't at all intimidated by working with young men. She just stood out. She spoke very well."

As for Wells, who was unable to attend the recent screening at Wiley, she can now say that she's met Denzel Washington. Jurnee Smollett, the young actress who plays the female debater in the film, has come to Houston several times to visit her.

Wells has had the film privately screened for her in her room and gets requests for interviews.

When the movie opens in theaters Tuesday, she will spend it quietly with friends and family in her room. Como said they plan to fill her room with balloons.

Wells is humbled by the attention.

"I hope I live up to the ideals in it," she said. "The movie is supposed to inspire young people to want to go to college, to try hard, to know it's not all easy but there's so much you gain from it."
Old 01-07-2008, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Soror!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FLKING
Quote:
Thanks, Soror!
No problem
Old 01-23-2008, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Soror to visit South Africa

http://www.goupstate.com/article/200...37/1051/NEWS01

And a big congrats to Ruby Dee for her Oscar nomination for her role in American Gangster!!!!

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to Ruby Dee on her Screen Actor's Guild award win last night. Long overdue, but well deserved!!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I did a search on her name and did not see anything already posted in Greekchat.

I was informed that Henrietta passed away sometime this afternoon. I know next month her chapter is honoring her with a reception. This had been planned for a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide4 :

By now, you've seen the movie The Great Debaters and you admired the character Samantha Booke portrayed by Jurnee Smollett. But did you know that Samantha Booke is really the story of Henrietta Bell Wells? Last week I did some research about Samantha which led me to Mrs. Wells. This morning I learned that Mrs. Wells is our Soror who is ill right now. She's also served as past president of Houston Alumnae chapter.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 02-28-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: quote tags added
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrini View Post
I did a search on her name and did not see anything already posted in Greekchat.

I was informed that Henrietta passed away sometime this afternoon. I know next month her chapter is honoring her with a reception. This had been planned for a few months.
Yeah. I just read this on a sorority listserve. She will be honored by Houston Alumnae chapter.

Rest in peace, Soror Wells.