GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,297
1 members and 2,296 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2001, 05:17 PM

Exclamation Questions Regarding Membership and Intake

I think it is very rude and unprofessional to post that those interested on the graduate level need not express their interest, "Dont' call us we'll call you". There are so many professional women who are involved in civic activities that could offer much to your organization. I say your organization because I am not a member. Perhaps if those who brought you in had the same exclusionary attitude that you had, you wouldn't be a member. I have so many girlfriends that pledged a sorority undergrad that tell me all the time to simply approach a member of a graduate chapter to learn more about that chapter and find out if it is right for me. None of them have that elitist attitude that you ladies have. Perhaps being an AKA and being able to exclude other people gives you gratification but from the women I know that were secure in who they were before they pledged never took pleasure in demeaning those who were simply trying to learn more about becoming a member.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-11-2001, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me try to assist here...

I don't think sorors were trying to be 'elitist' here. The graduate level is different from the undergrad .....membership is by invitation ONLY.

I think the confusion lies in 'we will contact you'....this is a true statement. Since its by invitation only, someone within the organization (an 'active' Soror) must bring you to 'OUR' attention.
So....to all the graduate interests, you may do what you like to make your interest known -- I've know people who have done all sorts of things. You may talk to sorors about the organization and etc. But remember, in the end....membership is by invitation ONLY -- which means its not guaranteed even if you know everyone in the chapter.

Moderators...I know you will edit this if it is inappropriate But I just thought someone should say something!

SOROR, now you know that WAS TMI! I'm really LMAO!

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 12-11-2001 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Thumbs down Re: Questions Regarding Membership and Intake

Quote:
Originally posted by spelgrad00
I think it is very rude and unprofessional to post that those interested on the graduate level need not express their interest, "Dont' call us we'll call you". There are so many professional women who are involved in civic activities that could offer much to your organization. I say your organization because I am not a member. Perhaps if those who brought you in had the same exclusionary attitude that you had, you wouldn't be a member. I have so many girlfriends that pledged a sorority undergrad that tell me all the time to simply approach a member of a graduate chapter to learn more about that chapter and find out if it is right for me. None of them have that elitist attitude that you ladies have. Perhaps being an AKA and being able to exclude other people gives you gratification but from the women I know that were secure in who they were before they pledged never took pleasure in demeaning those who were simply trying to learn more about becoming a member.
"Elitist attitude?" Don't you know by definition that sororities are rather exclusive organizations?
What is so demeaning about getting an INVITATION?

Moderators, I also wanted to chime in before this goes on lockdown.
Old 12-11-2001, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down BBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOO!

OH, PUHLEASE!
Old 12-11-2001, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Re: Questions Regarding Membership and Intake

Quote:
Originally posted by spelgrad00
Perhaps if those who brought you in had the same exclusionary attitude that you had, you wouldn't be a member.
Since I was INITIATED into a GRADUATE chapter, I WAS brought in in the SAME EXCLUSIONARY ATTITUDE. So, now what?

I think that my Soror, Happydays, explained what we meant very well. This topic will be closed, and later deleted, for reasons stated in the ORIGINAL thread with this SAME topic.

I honestly have a problem with non-sorors questioning our policies and procedures. But, God forbid I share my feelings on this, because my post might be MISCONSTRUED as being rude. But I'm going to let it all hang out today.

1) NOT ALL AKA'S ARE THE SAME. PLEASE refrain from comparing us to the AKA's you know and the AKA's here and the AKA's there. Yes, we are all sorors, but we were INDIVIDUALS before. We have varying opinions, we weren't created from a mold, we broke it.

2) It makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE how you feel about our ELITIST, RUDE, and UNPROFESSIONAL procedures, because since you are NOT A SOROR, you can't change any of them. But if it makes your feel better to post your feelings, knock yourself out.

3) WHY DO WE HAVE TO BE ELITIST BECAUSE WE ARE SELECTIVE? I'm growing a little tired of that label as well. But I guess if the shoe fits, we'll wear it. We've been called worse.

4) Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is not here to appease the masses, we are here to SERVE the masses. PERIOD.

5) People KILL me thinking that they know SO much about who would and wouldn't make a good member. NOT ALL PROFESSIONAL WOMEN ARE ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA WOMEN!!!!! Like we said, if we feel that they would be an asset, WE WILL CONTACT THEM!!! You can approach as many graduate chapter members as you want. See how fast that will get you membership. I KNOW, because I HAVE BEEN THERE. We don't give certain information to be mean, BELIEVE IT OR NOT. Perhaps we said DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU, because we want to save YOU time. But nevermind that, talk yourself 'til you're blue in the face.

Nothing I said here was meant to be rude, but I meant EVERYTHING that I said. If you feel it was rude, oh well. Ideal08 is not here to please the masses either.

Old 12-11-2001, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I smell fear of rejection and a lot of insecurity. We didn't make the rules, we just abide by them.
Closed Thread