GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,393
0 members and 1,393 guests
No Members online

Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to you and Theta!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah,,,
finally a happy ending.
good for you, enjoy the ride
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi so the PM idea was good originally but i didnt realized HOW MANY girls actually read my thread so I created this
Houses
Old 10-12-2005, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on KAPPA ALPHA THETA!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Congrats to you and KAPPA ALPHA THETA!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on THETA!
Old 10-12-2005, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Congratulations!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCFStefanie
How very exciting!!!!!!

Welcome to the best sisterhood around!!!

CONGRATS

(Of course I am a little biased)

Old 10-12-2005, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and Kappa Alpha Theta!
See, your patience paid off after all.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
YIPPIEEE! Congrats to you and Kappa Alpha Theta!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

awesome

Tink
congrats on T H E T A

My best friend at school is a Theta, and though I know chapters vary from school to school, I am still convinced (having gone to boarding school in CT and thus having friends in college all over the place) that KAT is a fundamentally classy org. It seems like Theta never fails to produce chapters where the girls have a killer combination of exceptional intelligence and a super strong sisterhood that has fun doing pretty much anything (+ most everything their girls do = fun)
!

This thread is by far the happiest re-rush story I have read on this forum. By the end I looked down and I had literally bitten my nails down to the quick w/ out noticing because I felt so nervous for you when you were waiting to find out your pref night parties.

It is crazy how much your thoughts and impressions of the experience remind me of the things running through my head back during my recruitment a few years ago. My school also has 9 houses, and the overall range of chapter reps and personalities you describe is so similar in composition to USCs greek system that it made it impossible not to pair each of the “colors” w/ its SC equiv while I read ….

I know this post grabbed me mostly because, as a 2nd time rusher myself, I know how daunting the second try is no matter how the first one went (I dropped the second day Fresh year before I was dropped by any sorority save I because I realized I had no idea how rush worked was in over my head). My second attempt was an ultimately positive one, but while I was going through it I had no sense of how it was going to end or if it was even going well because in each round I received an almost surreal mix of very top, middle, and bottom level invites which made sense to no one .

Also interesting about your post was the variety among the chapters you ended up visiting after the first, in terms of where you ranked them initially, how you thought the chapter was perceived generally, and how you felt about them after spending additional time there. When you grumbled about going back to red, I knew exactly how you felt-- how frustrating it is to know that you have to keep going back to a place that you would not be willing to take a bid from and it takes the spring out of your step just thinking about what went so wrong at house x/y/z that you couldn’t be anywhere but there. Or when you talked about the Indigo girls being a bit too intimidating, I had a mini-flashback of being led around on a house tour of the top house here by two insanely beautiful girls and feeling like I couldn’t relax or drink or be comfortable even though they were actually girls I had more in ommon w/ than 90% of my rushers and I later become close with both girls and very close with one. Or when you wondered about green cutting you even though it was your favorite both times…. I remember being cut both years from my dream house even though I (sigh) also had gotten a rec………. and it was like being SLAPPED when I was cut Or how one house that I hadn’t really considered but liked right off the bat ended up being the one I realized I wanted but not before one that I had written off (though unlike yellow was not a lower house but the top one vs. my “blue” which is in the middle) actually gave it a huge run for its money.

…..one thing I wanted to tell you about Orange/Gold which hopefully is at least a little bit interesting for you……
….I can tell you for sure that in most place and at most schools if you receive a bid from a chapter in a given year, or had a good indication from a chapter that they considered you a good match for their sorority and EXPECTED you to pref….(as in you are someone they don’t think is destined for a “better” house) or you are someone who perhaps might not get an invite pref regardless of circumstances and so are being given a “favor” or are “lucky” to be invited to pref (ie not if the chapter hands out bids to all moderately pleasant girls and only becomes selective for the least attractive segment of the pnm pool in reality) AND that they felt they had developed a somewhat special relationship with you / you are certain you were a PNM who had caught the attention of that house to a degree where they would remember you a year later and that the group was legitimately distressed by your decision not to pref them…. THEN……… …….The likelihood they would invite you back into their house again even if you were Gisele Bundchen and had a 4.0 g.p.a and have told the house in question that you have your heart set on suicide rushing this year…………..is just about ZERO. It would be conceivable that they keep you around for one day extra or that they proclaim to have no memory of the incident whatsoever……… you still would have an far better chance of getting invited to Pref at SAE/ a sorority at another school than you would w/ the house(s) involved.

UNLESS ………….you walk into these houses and give them a story explaining your behavior the year prior that is literally on the level of plausible denial of ANY responsibility for the previous incident or something so terrible/ sympathetic that a reasonable person should be around 15-20% likely to get misty eyed when hearing it. Examples: “I was being mind controlled by space aliens,” “It was my evil twin sister who dropped out last year in order to sabotage me because she knows this is my FAVORITE group,” “My mother died on bid day last year when she succumbed to a heart attack in

Anyway thanks for sending me down memory lane and grats again!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Tinkgirl becomes KiteGirl!!

Congratulations, tinkgirl and Kappa Alpha Theta!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Thumbs up

Congratulations on becoming one of Theta's newest members!! Enjoy every moment of your time with your new sisters ~ you deserve it!

Thanks also for sharing your story with us ~ one of the best ones yet!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEWEST MEMBER OF KAPPA ALPHA THETA!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: awesome

First off - TINK - Congrats on Theta! May you have a wonderful experience!!!!

On a separate note - I'm completely confused by what southerncalgpb is saying...Someone help?

Quote:
Originally posted by southerncalgpb
…..one thing I wanted to tell you about Orange/Gold which hopefully is at least a little bit interesting for you……
….I can tell you for sure that in most place and at most schools if you receive a bid from a chapter in a given year, or had a good indication from a chapter that they considered you a good match for their sorority and EXPECTED you to pref….(as in you are someone they don’t think is destined for a “better” house) or you are someone who perhaps might not get an invite pref regardless of circumstances and so are being given a “favor” or are “lucky” to be invited to pref (ie not if the chapter hands out bids to all moderately pleasant girls and only becomes selective for the least attractive segment of the pnm pool in reality) AND that they felt they had developed a somewhat special relationship with you / you are certain you were a PNM who had caught the attention of that house to a degree where they would remember you a year later and that the group was legitimately distressed by your decision not to pref them…. THEN……… …….The likelihood they would invite you back into their house again even if you were Gisele Bundchen and had a 4.0 g.p.a and have told the house in question that you have your heart set on suicide rushing this year…………..is just about ZERO. It would be conceivable that they keep you around for one day extra or that they proclaim to have no memory of the incident whatsoever……… you still would have an far better chance of getting invited to Pref at SAE/ a sorority at another school than you would w/ the house(s) involved.

UNLESS ………….you walk into these houses and give them a story explaining your behavior the year prior that is literally on the level of plausible denial of ANY responsibility for the previous incident or something so terrible/ sympathetic that a reasonable person should be around 15-20% likely to get misty eyed when hearing it. Examples: “I was being mind controlled by space aliens,” “It was my evil twin sister who dropped out last year in order to sabotage me because she knows this is my FAVORITE group,” “My mother died on bid day last year when she succumbed to a heart attack in

Last edited by xo_kathy; 10-12-2005 at 03:53 PM.