GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,570
4 members and 1,566 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Sigma Chi National Service Sorority

A new service sorority will be starting on the campus of Florida Memorial University. Right now all of us are pledging, our prospective brothers are Gamma Beta Chi who are pledging us. We are the founders and we feel that we need to know what it feels like to be pledged before pledging.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just wondering

Why are you starting a service sorority, when several national ones already exist, such as Gamma Sigma Sigma and Omega Phi Alpha? (heck for that matter, why don't you and your 'brothers' just form a co-ed chapter of Alpha Phi Omega National Service Fraternity?)
Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This is quite off topic... but that signature (I think that's what we call them?) makes me sad everytime I read it.
Quote:
Lambda Sigma Chi National Service Sorority, Inc. representing the independent, non-stereotypical, and well-educated sisters of the new millenium.
Makes me feel as though the rest of us are supposedly dependent, sterotypical and stupid... which is hardly the case.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STL Kappa
This is quite off topic... but that signature (I think that's what we call them?) makes me sad everytime I read it.

Makes me feel as though the rest of us are supposedly dependent, sterotypical and stupid... which is hardly the case.
great point. Not very good PR. And especially for a new org that will need the support and assistance of other orgs in growing
Old 04-11-2005, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lambda Sigma Chi National Service Sorority, Inc. representing the independent, non-stereotypical, and well-educated sisters of the new millenium
Why in the world, then, would you allow men to be involved with your membership process? Also, why would you broadcast any information about your process on GreekChat?

(Not trying to be mean...just asking.)
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

hsballer2004...
Best wishes for a successful journey! I think that it is admirable to want to focus on service, and I admire the determination it takes to start something from scratch.

Please take the comments here as an opportunity to learn. The people here are *usually* very supportive, but they also want to protect the integrity and image of Greek life.

I hope you find that this organization brings everything that you hoped for in a Greek experience.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

WOW, I never remembered saying anything about the rest of the women in the world being stereotypical, dependent, or whatever else. Why do people always have something to say when someone wants to do their own thing? If I don't want to join an already established service sorority, is there really anything wrong with that? It is my choice right? As long as it's something positive, that will contribute to the community, why should it be a big deal that it is new? I'm not trying to offend anyone, in fact I have done nothing to offend anyone as far as I am concern. I just thought that as a new organization it would be great to come on this sight and let other organizations know about us. To make it any worst, other people are misinterpreting my words. I feel like I have nothing to explain, what's said is done.

Negative remarks only make my organization stronger.

God Bless
Old 04-12-2005, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Um....

I'm glad that you're starting a new sorority for service and I hope that it prospers but when did Florida Memorial College become Florida Memorial University? Last time I checked... which is pretty recent cos it's near my house and BOTH my grandmas' houses, it was FMC.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Negative remarks make your organization stronger? How so?

Like we said, your signature comes across as ignorant towards other greeks. And that's not cool, and does not make your group look good at all.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I think its great that you are ambitious enough to want to form a new group.

I do have some questions I would like you to mull over though.

If you are creating a service sorority from scratch why do you feel the need to be "pledged"?

You have no history, no real rules or procedures and no traditions. I can only imagine that you are focusing on silly stuff invovled with pledging.

Also, you still won't have the experience of "pledging" you will just have the experience of showing obedience to a group of boys.

The reason I say that is:

1. Boys and girls are different. So I would hope you would do it differently.

2. You are not being pledged by their real process because they are not initiating you into their organization.

3. You are not being pledged by your own process because you don't have one.

Also, this focus on a Big Brother group is more similar to what local sororities do than my experience with national service organizations.

Why do you need Big brothers anyway? Doesn't that make you an auxillary group to them?

You may want to check out the Locals forum and Pm some of the active members there.

As a tangent, I wish a group of girls had come into existance and wanted to subordinate themselves to a process a I created for them.

The possibilities for mischief boggle the mind.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I commend you in starting a new group, it is no easy feat.

Like others on this board I do want to challenge you a little bit.

If you are aiming to be independent, non-stereotypical and educated women let me pose this to you.

You are allowing a male fraternity to pledge you. Why? As independent women of educational means you should be able to understand that (I believe) most if not all national organizations do not allow 'little sister' programs, especially women's organizations. No pledging experience is the same for any two people and you will not 'understand' the process that someone else goes through just because some guys 'pledge' you. I would like to offer this suggestion. Elect a new member educator, pledge director (whatever name you want to call it) and have that sister create the progam and take you through it. It would require creating some traditions, for example, if you want part of your program to be creating a book of all sisters, have her start it. Take photos and bios and put them in a binder decorated with your organizations name/symbols etc. Keep doing it as you get new sisters. Plan a sleepover before initiation. These types of activities will go to further the sisterhood part of your organization and help you create a sense of tradition. (Keep in mind that you don't haze)

Look at this from the outside though and you will see why we wonder. Your statement is snotty, fine. But then, at least to me, you contradict yourself by allowing a men's group (or another group for that matter) to be in charge and dictate your pledging experience. To me that is not indpendence or non-stereotypical, to me it defines the opposite of what your aims seem to be.

I wish you luck.

*sorry if it is rambling, work is sooooo slow.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Great post, Little E!
Old 05-17-2005, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that this post is a little old, but I just wanted to remind everyone that there are some BGLOs, LGLOs, and MGLOs that have brother or sister organizations. So, it is not something focused on mostly by local sororities.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very intertested in starting a sorority at my school as well, but I am extreamly confused???.. How did you come up with ya'll name?.. And I was wondering would the sorority be considered a "non-greek" sorority? If you have ANY help I would really appreciate it.
Thanks