GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 703
0 members and 703 guests
No Members online

Old 11-05-2008, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Another UF fraternity accused of hazing

The report appeared in the Alligator today.

http://www.alligator.org/articles/20...104_hazing.txt

Not again!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Chris Loschiavo, director of UF’s Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Office, said the hazing allegations are among the worst he has ever seen.

I have a problem with an administrator saying this before anything has been proven. Tau Epsilon Phi is still under investigation. I don't think an administrator should make a blanket statement like this without (a) having completed the investigation, or (b) giving specifics if they are known.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Chris Loschiavo, director of UF’s Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Office, said the hazing allegations are among the worst he has ever seen.

I have a problem with an administrator saying this before anything has been proven. Tau Epsilon Phi is still under investigation. I don't think an administrator should make a blanket statement like this without (a) having completed the investigation, or (b) giving specifics if they are known.
I once fussed out a sitting Regional Vice President in my frat for making similar comments on a regional yahoo group.

Pissed me off!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

He said the allegations are bad, not that the hazing performed by the chapter was bad. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I don't see that he substantiated the allegations.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is a followup

http://www.alligator.org/articles/20...081105_tep.txt
Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It says something about UF fraternities if these allegations are the worst the administrator has ever seen.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Update: Tau Epsilon Phi House to Be Closed for One Year; Membership Review to Be Done

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...61002/0/NEWS01

Excerpts:

Published: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.

. . . A University of Florida fraternity has been suspended and its fraternity house closed for a year over a hazing incident in which pledges were found shirtless and kneeling in the house's basement.

Tau Epsilon Phi's alumni board will also conduct a member-by-member review and overhaul the pledging program under an agreement reached between fraternity and university officials.

Authorities have decided against pursuing criminal charges against members for violating the state's anti-hazing law.

. . . State Attorney William Cervone decided against filing criminal charges because there were no significant injuries and the university judicial system was handling the situation, according to university police. . . .

The fraternity house, 9 Fraternity Row, will be closed Dec. 31 and reopened Jan. 1, 2010, under the agreement.

Last edited by exlurker; 11-26-2008 at 04:56 PM.