GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,402
3 members and 1,399 guests
PGD-GRAD, Sarak24034

Old 04-21-2006, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MissOh2Cute Send a message via Yahoo to MissOh2Cute
No More Skit - Ideas Please!!!

Hi everyone! I did some searching and couldn't find anything....

I'm President of Alpha Phi and former VP Recruitment @ Old Dominion and we just recently voted to remove Skit Round from Formal Recruitment. We are a commuter school and based on the rush environment PHC felt it wasn't really helping us. We have decided to hold a "sisterhood night." Some chapters are playing "games" and we're going to be showing a short video and mingling but have been asked to do a bonding activity. Any ideas or suggestions on what we should do for this?

If you do this at your school, what does your chapter do?

Thanks in advance!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 PM

Do you really want to bond with all of the girls at the party when you're going to have to cut some of them? Ha ha.

I would just incorporate more conversation, rather than putting more activities in the mix.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to what 33 said!

Hooray for Video Day! We canned skits back when I was in school, too, and at the time, everyone was upset, wondering how can you show your sisterhood without a skit? Well, the very next recruitment with our video in hand we saw that our video yearbook/marketing pitch was so much more effective, and that we could work around a theme.

Don't worry about the activity-- your activity is "getting to know you" via conversations. It will help you stand out as the "house where we didn't have to play stupid games." Make the video your focus, have some sorority memorabilia on hand, photos and achievements and train your members on good conversation.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I was also a little upset about it at first but then the thought of no midnight/2am skit practices and prop-making came into my head and I was thrilled!

I wish our video/getting to know you would be enough, but since the other chapters are playing a game (literally) we have been asked to do a bonding/teambuilding/sisterhood activity. I really dont know how I feel about playing a game the night before Pref but whatev...we just can't think of anything to do!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 PM

If the other chapters are playing games, shouldn't you follow suit? "Bonding" activities may come off as a kind of dirty rush. Who asked you to do this? The panhel, your nationals, who?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
If you wanted to do a very small, relatively short game that involves a lot of mingling, you could try the "famous person" game. Every person gets a nametag w/ a famous person's name on it, put on the back of their shirt. They then get to ask 1 question of each person they meet to try to figure it out. There's several variations, but it might be a nice way to get the PNMS and sisters to mix (hopefully).

It's a pretty quick game, no real cost/risk of bodily injury or what have you.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask your resident assistant for ideas. RA's have to do tons of ice breakers and bonding activities. Someone on your school's orientation team would also have some good suggestions.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
Ask your resident assistant for ideas. RA's have to do tons of ice breakers and bonding activities. Someone on your school's orientation team would also have some good suggestions.
Off topic, but none of the RA's in my school ever did any bonding type activity

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 04-22-2006, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
If the other chapters are playing games, shouldn't you follow suit? "Bonding" activities may come off as a kind of dirty rush. Who asked you to do this? The panhel, your nationals, who?
I know one chapter is doing a sisterhood game they play normally during COB. Everyone in the room, sisters and PNMs write down a question on a piece of paper and put it in a bag. Then everyone draws a piece of paper and sits in a circle and has to answer the question. They said the questions aren't serious but more funny, get-to-know you type questions.

Panhel has asked us to do this. When we got rid of skit, the PHC VP Recruitment suggested playing a game or doing an activity that shows our sisterhood. I suggested showing a video or slideshow and using the rest of the time to talk with the PNMs, since the reason we got rid of skit in the first place was because it took away too much time to actually talk with the women. We're still showing a slideshow but we were asked to have a game. I am not too thrilled about it but I know we can make it work....but as of right now it's just a big headache!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, but is a game really going to get chapters more women? One would think the extra conversation time would be helpful in that regard. It seems to me your Panhel is a little...well, ridiculous in that respect.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MissOh2Cute
I know one chapter is doing a sisterhood game they play normally during COB. Everyone in the room, sisters and PNMs write down a question on a piece of paper and put it in a bag. Then everyone draws a piece of paper and sits in a circle and has to answer the question. They said the questions aren't serious but more funny, get-to-know you type questions.

We actually did this game (on a smaller scale) during our philanthropy night. We made up questions ahead of time and had them in buckets and the girls at the tables could pull them out and ask/answer them at any time during the evening. It was fun and silly and the girls loved it.

You could try googling for "Icebreakers" because that seems to be the type of game you're going to be looking for.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Okay - have everyone, sisters and PNM's sit in a big circle. In the middle of the circle have a bucket with pieces of paper with statements on them (ex. I put ketchup on everything; I am an only child; I remember my 5th grade teacher's name, etc.). Have one person (recruitment chair?) start in the middle of the circle. Have them pull a statement and read it. If the statement is true for you, you have to get up, run across the circle and find a new place to sit. Last person up pulls another statement. We play this game but make it real personal - you'd just have to have general statements...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
I'm sorry, but is a game really going to get chapters more women? One would think the extra conversation time would be helpful in that regard. It seems to me your Panhel is a little...well, ridiculous in that respect.
I agree!! I really wasn't crazy about the idea but it's what the other chapters voted on...I wanted just the movie and more convo! I think it's a little weird to be playing a puzzle or doing an activity the night before Preference, which is of course more serious.

Drolefille....I REALLY like that! I'm going to bring it up to my Recruitment Advisor and VPR tomorrow!
Old 04-22-2006, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Here is a link to some ice breakers we have used:

http://www.wilderdom.com/games/Icebreakers.html
Old 04-22-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MissOh2Cute
I agree!! I really wasn't crazy about the idea but it's what the other chapters voted on...I wanted just the movie and more convo! I think it's a little weird to be playing a puzzle or doing an activity the night before Preference, which is of course more serious.

Drolefille....I REALLY like that! I'm going to bring it up to my Recruitment Advisor and VPR tomorrow!
We thought it was a lot of fun, and you can make it more of a game kind of thing if you want, or just use it as a complement to the slide show (Which is what we did with Philanthropy night, plus a craft). They're really good for a boost in conversation when you have trouble connecting with a PNM for whatever reason.