GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 968
1 members and 967 guests
No Members online

Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapel Day happiness and confusion

Today was chapel day for me, but I didn't get my first pick. Now with that said I'm grateful I didn't because I truly wanted to be in AGD where I had found friends who cared about me and a very diverse group, but I was afraid to go there because they are the "bottom tier" sorority at my school. They are small and get made fun of, and even during recruitment plenty of people said they would be happy anywhere but there..... Im happy with where I am but conflicted at the same time. Any advice on dealing with this or any advice to help and get our image turned around? I really love these girls and I want to be confident about the letters I wear, even if we are "bottom tier".
Old 01-23-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

I have never heard of Chapel Day. At first I thought you were honored at a chapel day, but now I get it.

Congratulations on your invitation to join AGD. We each get out of our experiences what we put in. Throw yourself into your chapter. Go to all the sisterhood events. Study with your sisters. Have meals and go for coffee with your sisters. The busier you are with your chapter the less time you will have to listen to the negative things. Join a different org on campus-show them how cool an AGD girl is. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I forgot it's different everywhere! Chapel day is when we get our bids, then dress up in our new colors and run out of the chapel into the arms of our sisters! sorry for any confusion!
Old 01-23-2017, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Dear heart, every single GLO has college chapters that are "top" "middle" "bottom" or what have you. The "bottom" chapter at one campus is "top" somewhere else. And vice versa.

Guess what? It doesn't really matter! HONEST. You will be happy in AGD, based on your statements that you truly wanted to be there and they are diverse. Trust me on this: you'll have a lifetime of benefits, and you'll connect with other like-minded Panhellenic women. I enjoy all my Greek friends, no matter what letters they wear. College is short. Build lasting friendships with the women in your chapter. And %&#! those who say mean or petty things about your chapter. They are insecure, shallow, and stuck in high school. You know it, I know it. So what? Pay no attention to them!

MY OPINION HERE: The sisterhood I've seen at a "bottom" chapter is stellar, and to be envied. The "top" chapters are full of infighting, pettiness, and back-stabbing. Important lesson: what other people think can make you or break you - if you let it.

end of lecture, grasshopper.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Back in the olden days when we went through "rush" and were "pledges", I went to a school in which there were 2 very top tier chapters. I joined a lower tier chapter. Fast forward many years and one of the top tier was kicked off campus and lost their charter for almost 10 years because of hazing. My lower tier chapter had lost the majority of the collegiates in the spring before I pledged to graduation. There were only 24 collegiate members but we had a pledge class of 14 (only 12 stayed to be initiated). Today my chapter has a membership of almost 300. The tide ebbs and flows over the years. You are only a collegiate for about 4 years, your alumna membership of forever. No one cares if you came from a chapter which was considered to be top tier or lower tier. Just go out and help support your chapter, have fun, and be proud of your sisterhood!

DaffyKD
Old 01-23-2017, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD_Cutie View Post
Today was chapel day for me, but I didn't get my first pick. Now with that said I'm grateful I didn't because I truly wanted to be in AGD where I had found friends who cared about me and a very diverse group, but I was afraid to go there because they are the "bottom tier" sorority at my school. They are small and get made fun of, and even during recruitment plenty of people said they would be happy anywhere but there..... Im happy with where I am but conflicted at the same time. Any advice on dealing with this or any advice to help and get our image turned around? I really love these girls and I want to be confident about the letters I wear, even if we are "bottom tier".
Congrats on your new home. I know the school you speak of. You have a really great chapter and all the members are so sweet. Keep your head up. It's almost an advantage to join a smaller chapter. You have a chance to get to know all the members that much better than you would with a larger chapter. Help inspire everyone to wear their letters with pride and when they look their best. If you have any friends that were on the fence and didn't go through recruitment, see if you can invite them to get to know your chapter.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06