GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,456
2 members and 1,454 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

News Article: Why joining a sorority may be bad for your health

News article:
"Why joining a sorority may be bad for your health"
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ur-health.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing I can say is Tri Delta has moved forward with an amazing body image program called Reflections. Where some see negatives with sororites there are positives as well; and this is one of them!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Couldn't the same be said about any number of activities that women participate in?

But of course, let's focus on sororities.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-03-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I think the quote sounded bitter. The whole thing just makes me want to:
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I can safely say my chapter did not have any (and still does not) have an overall love affair with image. Trust me...
Old 03-03-2010, 11:03 PM

That woman's skin looks like a leather purse. Someone either tanned in the sun or went to the bed far too often for her skin type. Failing to embrace your paleness (and making it a lifelong addiction) is far worse than living in a sorority house for 3 years, dumbass.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like someone didn't get a bid.

Anyway, I had a blast during rush week; and, as a collegian, it was always one of my favorite events. It will be what you make it.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Failing to embrace your paleness (and making it a lifelong addiction) ...
Why did I picture Snooki on a llama?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That woman's skin looks like a leather purse. Someone either tanned in the sun or went to the bed far too often for her skin type. Failing to embrace your paleness (and making it a lifelong addiction) is far worse than living in a sorority house for 3 years, dumbass.
LOL it seriously does look like leather. She doesn't exactly radiate "health," herself.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Banned

This thread doesn't do much to counter the notion that sorority women are disproportionately focused on looks. Is an ugly woman less qualified to comment on empirical research on looks than a beautiful woman?

If the women that dropped out of rush have a higher BMI than those who pledged, I think that's a problem. If the research the article refers to wasn't reliable or generalizable, let's talk about that. But I don't see how it's less likely to be true because it's cited by someone with bad skin.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Unless she was a serf or a migrant laborer, there's no reason for your skin to look like that - unless you purposefully do something to make it that way. Like skipping SPF or using a tanning bed. This isn't just an appearance matter, it's a health matter - and one that can be so easily prevented.

You're the one that called her "ugly" - not anyone else in this thread. She'd be an attractive woman if her skin wasn't so damaged.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
This thread doesn't do much to counter the notion that sorority women are disproportionately focused on looks. Is an ugly woman less qualified to comment on empirical research on looks than a beautiful woman?

If the women that dropped out of rush have a higher BMI than those who pledged, I think that's a problem. If the research the article refers to wasn't reliable or generalizable, let's talk about that. But I don't see how it's less likely to be true because it's cited by someone with bad skin.
I think that this has been misinterpreted. All the article says is that they dropped out, not that they were cut. These women had normal BMIs, and were not overweight. Since we have no further information, I imagine that these women are those that get cut from the "elite" groups and drop out rather than pledge the "lesser" groups on campus. Sorry...I don't feel sorry for these girls. It's a fact of life that won't change even if we get rid of sororities. If they try to just be friends with these same girls, they would be rejected.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

From the information provided it seems like the author of the study failed Statistics 101...correlation does not prove causality. I am the first to admit that sorority recruitment does tend to be biased in favor of women with certain images (whether it be skinny, well rounded, connected, well dressed, etc) regardless of what the national offices of these GLOs do to prevent that. But this article doesn't seem like it established any sort of causality at all, which practically invalidates it from a statistical standpoint.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
She'd be an attractive woman if her skin wasn't so damaged.
You're still focusing on her appearance. How is this relevant to the validity of the study? What does bad skin have to do with anything?

APhiAnna is addressing the study on its merits. That's the kind of discussion I hope that college-educated people, Greek or otherwise, would get into.

Quote:
It's a fact of life that won't change even if we get rid of sororities. If they try to just be friends with these same girls, they would be rejected.
It may be true that the skinny girls won't be friends with the less skinny girls whether there's a Greek system or not. But if the Greek system is, in effect, sorting women by their weight, we ought to talk about that fact, and correlative studies can serve an important purpose in sparking conversation.
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
You're still focusing on her appearance. How is this relevant to the validity of the study? What does bad skin have to do with anything?

APhiAnna is addressing the study on its merits. That's the kind of discussion I hope that college-educated people, Greek or otherwise, would get into.

It may be true that the skinny girls won't be friends with the less skinny girls whether there's a Greek system or not. But if the Greek system is, in effect, sorting women by their weight, we ought to talk about that fact, and correlative studies can serve an important purpose in sparking conversation.
I agree, but I think a little much is being made of this. It would be different if these girls were completely cut from all groups. While the author of the article said that the BMIs were significantly higher, she didn't state that they were "statistically" significant, which is an important difference. She also stated that all of the women had normal BMIs. This meant that no one fell in an overweight or obese weight range. I personally would like to see the actual article since having seen numerous bid day pictures from campuses all over the US on GC, women with normal and even high BMIs have been receiving bids despite the findings of this article. Not to mention, generalizing health risks based on findings from one university's recruitment is ridiculous since as we all know, ALL campuses are very different when it comes to competitiveness of recruitment.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 03-04-2010 at 09:11 PM.