GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,314
0 members and 2,314 guests
No Members online

Old 08-01-2002, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing as a Junior

Here's my situation: I'm a math major at UC Berkeley, and plan on rushing this coming Fall. I'm also a transfer. I'm worried that there's little chance of my acceptance, being both of junior and non-legacy status, and on top of it not knowing many people. As a math major I still have about three years to go because of my class load; is this a selling point ("It's sort of like you're talking to a sophomore. . . .")? How competitive is Berkeley in the Greek system? Any enlightening tips? And how do you get a recommendation? Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

hey i dont go to cal, and i dont know what the greek system is like there, but on the west coast rush is more laid back. i rushed as a junior at sdsu...it all workes out. good luck to you, and keep us posted.
Old 08-01-2002, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm from South Carolina, so my expertise may be a little limited as well, but I know that our greek system's very competitive. Basically, transfer juniors have about the same chance as a freshman or MAYBE a sophomore. I think if you transfer, then they either figure you'll still be around for a little while, or they figure you never had a chance to rush. Don't stress, and be yourself!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I know nothing about the Greek System in California, but here are some tips that should help you out anywhere: Go through rush, but realize that it may be a little more difficult with your junior standing. The higher your GPA the easier it will be. Definitely stress when a sister brings up your year in school or your major that you will be there 3 more years.

I do not know if recs are important at Berkeley or not. My suggestion is that you find out what sororities are on campus and then ask around to your parent's friends, friend's parents, members of your church, teachers... and see if any are members of those organizations and could write you a rec. If that fails contact the Alumnae Panhellinic organization in your area, they should be able to pair you with someone who will be able to help. You should also talk to the Greek Advisor and see what advice they have about the importance of recs, and going through as a junior.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~greeks/
Old 08-01-2002, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
I rushed as a junior, too -- you'll be fine. :-)

What're you interested in?
Old 08-01-2002, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont think you should worry, when I pledged one of my pledge sisters was a senior, so i dont think you should worry, just be yourself and you will be fine
Old 08-02-2002, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Interests

What I want out of a fraternity (should have mentioned I'm a guy, lol) is pretty simple:

1. A good place to start making friends at Berkeley.

2. Social connections for future success in my career

3. A set of good friends who I can count on after I've graduated

4. A place where I have something social happening all the time

5. I want to have some friends I wouldn't regularly have (you know - like
when you have a job, and make friends there with people you never would
have otherwise)

I have a decent GPA (3.72), and I get along with people easily. I'm interested in everything: my major is math, dunno about grad school major (maybe math, maybe law - maybe both, lol). I like math and science stuff, playing sports (not too into watching them), biking, hiking, lifting weights, vegetarianism, politics, etc. But that's not a comprehensive list - I'll try almost anything, and think almost everything is interesting. I'm not religious - so no Christian or Jewish frats for me. I guess I just don't want my college experience to be entirely academic, otherwise I think I'd be missing out on a lot. I know I don't want to be in a frat that's all about partying either - I do drink, but getting hosed every weekend isn't my idea of a good time. I want to get into a frat that places a lot of importance on future success of its members, because that's important. But in reality I'm sure a lot of frats fit in this group - most seem like they're pretty good to me, and I'll have a better idea of which one I like best when I visit sometime in late August. I really appreciate all the advice, thanks.

Matt
Old 08-02-2002, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

UCB

I am a bay area girl myself, and know a lot of greeks at UCB. Since you are a guy, you'd have NO problem. The Greek system is not that competitive in Berkeley, I would say as compared to other schools, since people are more independent and cerebral there. Fraternities don't really care what year you are, as long as you are cool! I used to hang out with all sorts of UCB greeks and they are a tight knit group.

You'll be fine!
Old 08-02-2002, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

you'll be fine
Old 08-02-2002, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
i am a bay area born chick but i go to sac state. i assume that the greek system at cal is similar to ours. i know a lot of guys that rushed the year before they graduated, and they still got a fraternity of their choice. we have some older members in my group... those that transfered or took a break. our oldest gal is 25 and she fits RIGHT in with the rest of us.
The only thing that we were ever concerned with was if the NM was older, how well would they fit in with a bunch of new freshmen? You see where I am going? But I wouldn't worry about it too much... the guys seem to be a lil more easy going.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla_adpi
i go to school in alabama so i'm not sure what the greek system is like there. however, this past semester we took in girls who were even seniors so i wouldn't worry about it if i was you. plus like you said you will be there for a few more years anyways...it shouldn't matter what year you decide to go greek....because at least you will get to experience the wonderful things that the greek system has to offer and meet a lot of wonderful women. g'luck!!!

kayla
Old 08-04-2002, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone

Just saying thanks for all the positive response. I've been doing my homework on which frats I'm going to really push for, and hopefully rush'll go well. Thanks again.

Matt
Old 08-06-2002, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey UC_Berkeley_jr:

O.K., I go to Stanford-but hear me out before you boo me! On the Friday before Big Game, my fraternity has a luncheon in the City (San Francisco for those of you not from the Bay Area), with the Phi Psi's from Cal (the chapter there is inactive right now). Anyway, after the lunch, we all head down to Harrington's, a bar in the Financial District, where a LOT of Cal fraternities go after their luncheons. IT IS A BLAST!!!There are like four or five bars in the area, and the Cal people ALWAYS outnumber the Stanford people! But, at the bar we go to, the Sigma Chi's from Cal go there also, and they are the COOLEST bunch of Cal guys that I have ever met! They are SO much fun, that I would recommend those men to anyone who is rushing a fraternity at Cal! I mean, if I had attended Cal, then they would be at the top of my list! They are SO much better than the Stanford Sigs-who are, shall we say,a bit elitist (after all, Ben Savage who was on "Boy Meets World" is currently a Sig at Stanford, and Tiger Woods also joined before he went pro!). I don't dislike the Stanford Sigs, they just occupy a different social status than the other houses on campus. But anyway, good luck with rush, and GO CARDINAL!!!

...The Stanford Axe...it's been SEVEN years since Cal has seen it...
Old 08-06-2002, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

What about the other frats?

Thanks for the advice - the Sig Chis were on my list of favorites. I was also wondering about the Beta Theta Pis, and the Dekes (Delta Kappa Epsilons) - what do you think of them? I'm looking at both partially because they have chapters at schools I might go to for grad school (if I was lucky) - I even considered if they had a chapter at Stanfurd, lol.
And as for the Axe, we'll see how long that lasts, hehe. Good luck down at the 'farm,' and try to keep that damn band of yours under control - don't want to lose ANOTHER game because they're picking their noses in the end-zone, now do we? But seriously, thanks for the advice.

Matt