GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,546
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annatfancesa349
» Online Users: 2,381
0 members and 2,381 guests
No Members online

Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Not only are the criteria for these rankings ridiculous, but the rankings don't seem to add up based on that criteria, and some of the information isn't accurate.

I vote for TJ's method! But as I said in the other thread regarding these rankings - they should be more informational and used simply as a comparison between each group, rather than stating, "This sorority is the best!"

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2012, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Isn't Newsweek kind of on the same level as Star Magazine now?
Worse. They admitted this week that they employ ZERO fact checkers. It has the credibility of something posted on Livejournal.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just about! DH and I are not going to renew our subscription. We've discovered the Christian Science Monitor Weekly. It is an excellent source for news and commentary.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen and a new low for Newsweek. They're trying to quantify something that isn't quantifiable (is that even a word?)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The general public is going to equate NPC with "sorority." If you say "black sorority," you're talking NPHC.
Actually, I'd be surprised if the general public has a clue that there's such a thing as NPC, NIC, NPHC, etc., or that there's a distinction between NPC, NIC, NPHC, Latino, multicultural and other Greeks beyond "traditionally white," "traditionally black" and the like. I'd wager the general public just sees them all as "fraternities" and "sororities."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
Quote:
Just about! DH and I are not going to renew our subscription.
Newsweek went downhill fast after the Washington Post Co. sold it. We cancelled our subscription a few years back when they revamped the format -- couldn't stand the new format.

Not that the format will matter much longer, since they've announced the Newsweek will be moving (by an undetermined date) to electronic only and will no longer have a print edition.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Tina Brown, who used to edit Vanity Fair and now edits the web site The Daily Beast, is just now recently over Newsweek. I have a lot of respect for her I hope she see that this sort of journalism is extinguished there.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned

Among the general public that actually knows about Greekdom, "fraternities" and "sororities" means the predominantly white (inter)national GLOs. People do not have to know the names of councils and conferences to know the images conjured.

/Based on my collegiate and post-collegiate discussions with people over the years, the GC posts over the years that treat NPC and NIC as THE sororities and fraternities, and media depictions of Greekdom
Old 08-24-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Among the general public that actually knows about Greekdom, "fraternities" and "sororities" means the predominantly white (inter)national GLOs. People do not have to know the names of councils and conferences to know the images conjured.

/Based on my collegiate and post-collegiate discussions with people over the years, the GC posts over the years that treat NPC and NIC as THE sororities and fraternities, and media depictions of Greekdom
The whole article reeks of journalistic incompetence at its worst for just the reasons you cite.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

Agree. I was referring to the general public that doesn't really know anything about Greekdom. But I think that the end result is the same.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Didn't we have this discussion less than a month ago?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, as Kevin mentioned in the first response to the OP.