GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,515
4 members and 2,511 guests
TLLK

Old 11-27-2004, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

The Diary of Samantha Spady's death at U Colorado

Partying turns deadly as college student drinks herself to death
________
By Angie Wagner
ASSOCIATED PRESS

9:37 a.m. November 27, 2004

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – By the time the rainy night stretched into early morning, Samantha Spady had been drinking and partying for hours. Earlier it was beer and shots of tequila. Now, inside a fraternity house, she was swilling vanilla vodka straight from the bottle.

The binge had gone on for 11 hours. When it was over, the Colorado State student's blood-alcohol level was more than five times the legal driving limit in Colorado. She was stumbling, unable to even stand on her own.

Two students wrapped the 19-year-old's limp arms around their necks and walked her to a forgotten fraternity room full of extra furniture, old beer bottles and the glow of a black light.

They laid her on a couch, and a few minutes later, Sam blinked her eyes and nodded as the last person left the room.

She just needs to sleep it off, her friends thought.

__

Sam grew up in Beatrice, Neb., a small town in the southeast corner of the state about 35 miles from Lincoln. There, her father owned a car dealership and everyone knew her.

It was hard not to. Senior class president. Head cheerleader. Honor student. Homecoming queen.

Almost perfect.

On weekends, she and her friends would head to the country to hang out and sometimes drink beer. But Sam never drank to get drunk, said her best friend from high school, Kelleigh Doyle.

More than anything, she wanted to escape her rural life. Fort Collins, with its 127,000 people, was just big enough. She loved this college town, its quaint downtown shops and tree-lined neighborhoods. In the fall, streets fill with amber and chestnut leaves that crackle when students stroll to class in the Colorado chill.

The sophomore business major hadn't really known anyone here, but quickly made new friends. Her mother had always admired that about her, the way people were drawn to her.

Sam had pledged Chi Omega sorority as a freshman, but it took up a lot of time. There were functions to attend and it was hard to balance with schoolwork. She longed for home-cooked meals and her bed at home and by her second semester, had dropped out of Chi Omega.

In her health class journal, she talked about her struggles with the sorority and how she missed her family.

Mirna Guerra hadn't known Sam that long when the two decided to get together Sept. 4, the Saturday before Labor Day and the evening of the big Colorado State-Colorado football game.

Sam picked up Mirna, a freshman, just before 6 p.m. and they went to a house to watch the game. Sam drank a beer, downed two shots of tequila, ate a hot dog and munched on chips and dip. They left two hours later.

They watched the rest of the game at another house, where Sam drank a few beers from a supersize cup. They left around 10:30 p.m.

Friends told police Sam had been out partying the past three nights. It wasn't unusual for her to drink three or four times a week. Sometimes, Sam vomited and later passed out.

"It's what everyone does," said Sam's roommate, Sara Gibson. "Some people party every night."

It's college. Away from parents, often for the first time for any extended period, college students can come and go as they please and are free to experiment with alcohol. Drinking becomes part of the culture.

Parties come on the fly, and there's never a shortage of kegs to tap. In pubs and bars near campus, drinks are cheap, and women often get them free. All-you-can-drink nights for $5 a pop are common. All of it is an invitation for binge drinking, said Henry Wechsler, director of the College Alcohol Studies at the Harvard School of Public Health. And there is no one to tell them "no."

"They're without parental supervision. They're at a period of life when they explore and experiment," he said.

Nationally, 44 percent of college students report binge drinking – five drinks in a row for men, four for women – at least once in the previous two weeks. Half of those students do it more than once a week.

While the percentage of binge drinkers has stayed about the same over the past 11 years, the amount they drink at one sitting has increased, Wechsler said. Members of fraternities and sororities tend to drink more than other students.

Nationally, there are more than 1,400 alcohol-related deaths each year among college students, according to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Most are the result of automobile accidents.

__

It was raining hard and Sam was having a hard time seeing through her windshield because of the storm. She hit the median and ended up flattening two tires. Mirna didn't think Sam was drunk.

Upset and unsure of what to do, Sam called her parents. No answer.

It didn't spoil the evening. Sam and Mirna still wanted to find a good party. They soon found one.

For about two hours, they drank and danced to Michael Jackson. Sam downed four or five cups of beer. She may have played drinking games.

"By then, we had started drinking pretty fast," Mirna said.

Still, Sam seemed fine. She and Mirna were having a good time, talking about music they liked and possibly rooming together next year.

Around 2:30 a.m., Sam and Mirna were at the Sigma Pi house, a place she felt comfortable. Sam had lots of friends in the fraternity and had dated a few members. Some considered her a little sister.

"She always made people smile," Sigma Pi President Darren Pettapiece said.

About 25 people were at the fraternity house, hanging out in the hallway or drinking and talking in rooms.

"You could kind of tell she was drunk, but you couldn't tell how drunk," said Matthew Kilby, a student at Colorado Northwestern Community College in Rangely who was at the Sigma Pi house that night.

Gibson, 19, and another one of Sam's roommates were also there, but they left about an hour later. They knew Sam was drunk, but they had seen her worse.

"I was like, come back with me," she said. "She looked me in the face, saying I want to stay."

Another beer later, and Sam and Mirna were hanging out in one of the bedrooms, listening to the rock band Dispatch with other students. By then just a few people were still awake at the Sigma Pi house. Around 4 a.m., Sam and Mirna were doing swigs of Sam's favorite drink – vanilla vodka. They put the bottles to their lips and tilted their heads back, as the room echoed: "Go, go, go!"

__

Minutes later, Sam was sitting on the front stoop, resting her head on her elbows.

She was unable to stand and fell back. Her head hung down and she didn't respond when friends spoke to her.

"When did you get so drunk?" Mirna asked.

Unresponsive. Incoherent. She should have been taken to a hospital then, said Dr. Charles Lieber, an expert in alcohol metabolism at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. But she wasn't.

Around 5 a.m. Sigma Pi member Baylor Ferrier and a friend helped Sam upstairs and put her on a couch in an unused social room they called "Le Boom Boom." Ferrier had dated Sam the previous semester and says he had seen her worse; he thought she just wanted to sleep.

"It didn't seem like a big deal at all," he said.

Mirna stayed with Sam for a half hour, urging her to walk back to her dorm room with her. She tried to help Sam stand, but Sam swayed and then fell over, so Mirna put her on another couch.

"She was going in and out of it. I would wake her up and clap," Mirna said.

Sam opened her eyes, but couldn't speak well. She nodded her head. She just wants to sleep, Mirna thought. She'll be fine.

But the homecoming queen with the megawatt smile was dying.

She was likely in a coma, Lieber said. Her brain cells asleep, her respiration slowed. If she had gotten medical help, he said, even that late she might have lived. But there was no help in the Sigma Pi storeroom.

Soon after Mirna left, Samantha Spady took her last breath.

As Sunday dawned and the glint of orange crept through the mountains, Sam's cell phone started ringing.

"Sam Bam, you were so drunk last night," Mirna's message began.

Her mother, Patty Spady, called, then waited. She called again. Still no Sam. She tried not to worry, but it was so unlike Sam not to call back.

Sam's roommates tried too, calling Sigma Pi members, asking if anyone had seen her.

At Sam's house near campus, Gibson had a bad feeling.

__

Almost 13 hours after Sam had been left to sleep off the drunken night, a fraternity member was giving his mother a tour of the house. Beer bottles and cans littered the house. Panties and bras hung from the entryway chandelier; a stripper pole was in one room.

When he opened the door to the social room that had been stuffed with extra couches, he saw Sam's alcohol-poisoned body, clad in jeans and a yellow T-shirt. Her long blonde hair was pulled back. Her knees were on the floor, her face resting on a foam cushion. Her arms were outstretched to each side, almost like she was crawling.

It looked like she was sleeping.

"Hello?" he asked. "Hello?"

He touched her leg. It was cold and stiff.

She had a blood alcohol level of 0.436 percent. The coroner said it probably was higher when she was left there; her body would have continued to metabolize alcohol while she was unconscious.

Since Sam's death, the parties continue, the booze still flows.

But the Sigma Pi house has been shut down. Fraternities have banned alcohol, and alcohol sales are banned inside the football stadium. Nineteen people were cited for alcohol-related offenses as part of the investigation into Sam's death.

"It's not so much that we have a problem," Sigma Pi member Matthew Dunn said. "It's more that we have a few people who make the wrong decision. Sometimes young people don't know how to handle alcohol."

On Colorado campuses alone this fall, there have been four other alcohol-related deaths. Three students at colleges in Oklahoma, Arkansas and New Mexico died after drinking with their fraternity brothers recently.

"It's not just the students on that campus. It's not just the faculty. It's not just the bar owners. Everybody in the community has a responsibility for some changes to take place," Patty Spady said.

Mirna Guerra and other friends Sam was with that night still party. But they also remember Sam, and they wonder how she could have drank so much – enough to die – and they didn't know it.

"I was thinking, why didn't I stay with her?" Mirna said. "Why didn't I know something was wrong?"

__

On the Net:

College Alcohol Study: www.hsph.harvard.edu/cas/

Memorial foundation: www.samspadyfoundation.org

Colorado State: welcome.colostate.edu/

__

EDITOR'S NOTE – Angie Wagner is the AP's Western regional writer, based in Las Vegas. This story is based on the Fort Collins police report, the Larimer County coroner's report, and interviews with Patty Spady, Mirna Guerra, Sara Gibson, Baylor Ferrier, Matthew Kilby and Sigma Pi fraternity members.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-27-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuPhi4Life Send a message via Yahoo to SigmaNuPhi4Life
wow..that really makes you think twice about how much you drink in one night. I know my sisters always go across the street to the Phi Sigma Kappa house and party and we drink a lot. Now I know what to look out for and all that with my sisters. But damn...this hits you hard
Old 11-27-2004, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: The Diary of Samantha Spady's death at U Colorado

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

"It's not just the students on that campus. It's not just the faculty. It's not just the bar owners. Everybody in the community has a responsibility for some changes to take place," Patty Spady said.
I don't see how the faculty figures into this at all. If she means administration and student life, well, I can see that. But, faculty involvement with a student--especially at a large school like CSU--usually ends when class is over.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

it's another example of how and why you need to look out for each other and the sadness that can happen when you don't.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:50 PM

Re: Re: The Diary of Samantha Spady's death at U Colorado

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I don't see how the faculty figures into this at all.
There was another very long article in the Denver Post this morning in which one of her professors noted that she was missing more classes, coming in hung over and showing other symptoms of substance abuse.

I'm not clear whether he/she reported it.

If she/he had, it might be possible that Sam might have received some help.

Or, maybe not.

Here's a link to the Post Article -- which is very long...

It's called Wasted Lessons. And it sounds like they may be...

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,...561135,00.html
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 11-28-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I don't get it, whats the lesson here? ITs tragic when anyone dies.

Samantha was a veteran drinker that drank herself to death in a day long binge.

She's not Greek.

I think the only lesson might be to make sure you send drunk girls home to their dorms to die, so that yu don't incur the liability of trying to take care of them.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:58 PM

I think the lesson is -- whether anyone listens to it or not -- that heaving drinking can kill you in more ways than a traffic accident.

I think it also is that you can't take situations for granted.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James

I think the only lesson might be to make sure you send drunk girls home to their dorms to die, so that yu don't incur the liability of trying to take care of them.
Or, on a less callous note, that calling 911 (or a campus equivalent) when a friend shows signs of severe intoxication like she apparently did.

Both my undergrad and my current school have similar systems in place. The campus health service evaluates students---THEY make the call whether or not the student needs to "sleep it off," not some frat boy. About 20% of the cases require hospitalization.

Neither school has had a death related to alcohol poisoning.

Coincidence?
Old 11-28-2004, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

both right

James and The Delt are both right. But drinking in the house,
period, is dumb...
Even though the words come from an old codger, I can assure
you-all I had plenty to drink but NEVER, EVER in the house. I
sit in on the Board of Advisors for my Fraternity and I yet wonder
if today's youth get the picture. What does it take?
Risk management is costly, housemothers and advisors are a necessity, and if you cannot grasp it all, then be gone. Or we
will. But if we (the old timers, advisors) leave, I feel the Greeks
will eventually go down the tubes. We do not want that, do we?
Yep, James and The Delt are right.
Drinking scholars, fine...but not in the house. NEVER.
And some of the "dry" sororities are of no help to us, either, as
they will often use our place to get blotto. We need to work together. The rewards are many, sacrifices are few. We can
indeed change the world, and the Greek experience is here for
the taking.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree

Altho I can't say I've never had a drink in the house (and the wonderful bar in the Drexel house stands out) as Eric claims, I strongly agree with him that the combination of youth, alcohol, and fraternity is leading us down the tubes quickly.
And breaking us financially thru liability law suits.

I think we'll save our youth, and our chapters, by banning alcohol.

I do note, though, that at least three GLO members died in traffic crashes, going home for Thanksgiving this week, as posted in Greek Life.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Re: I agree

Its the 21 year old drinking age that is killing us. In most cases of liability and law suits, the fact that the person is between 18-20 is the key factor.

Since the person is under the legal age of drinking the people around automatically incurr liability.

If you eliminated all cases where the major factor was "underage" drinking, there would be very few.

Quote:
Altho I can't say I've never had a drink in the house (and the wonderful bar in the Drexel house stands out) as Eric claims, I strongly agree with him that the combination of youth, alcohol, and fraternity is leading us down the tubes quickly.
And breaking us financially thru liability law suits.

I do note, though, that at least three GLO members died in traffic crashes, going home for Thanksgiving this week, as posted in Greek Life.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I honestly agree.

While there are a lot of alcohol-related incidents hurting GLOs, I don't think it all has to do with the 21+ drinking age. Regardless if the age is 19, 20, or 25, if people are still not responsible enough to know their own limits, incidents like this will always happen, and whether or not the fraternity or sorority was directly involved somehow they will get some of the blame for it. For example, the Sigma Pi house was shut down. Was it because they helped contribute alcohol to her even though she was underage? What about the other contributors that she had been partying with before she went to the Sigma Pi house... I wonder if they were ever held responsible.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Well, since there will only be 2.5 people in each chapter, that might actually work.

What do you mean? Banning alcohol from the house? Banning it from rush? Banning any member of any GLO from drinking anytime anywhere? The first two have already been tried and obviously don't work. The third would lead to worse recruitment problems than we already have.

James is right, the 21 year old drinking age is as ridiculous a social experiment as Prohibition and should be eliminated.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl

What do you mean? Banning alcohol from the house? Banning it from rush? Banning any member of any GLO from drinking anytime anywhere? The first two have already been tried and obviously don't work. The third would lead to worse recruitment problems than we already have.
Is alcohol banned from all houses (i.e. not just some IFCs and all NPCs)? To my knowledge, only some IFC fraternities & all NPC sororities ban alcohol from houses, and I believe the same goes for the rush activities.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: I agree

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess
Is alcohol banned from all houses (i.e. not just some IFCs and all NPCs)? To my knowledge, only some IFC fraternities & all NPC sororities ban alcohol from houses, and I believe the same goes for the rush activities.
No, it's not, but it seems that a lot of the fraternities that have gone "dry" still are ending up in the headlines an awful lot for alcohol issues.