GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,379
1 members and 2,378 guests
John

Old 07-21-2020, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my closest friends is a DPhiE (now alum) and she's Southern Baptist, and another very close friend is Jewish and a Phi Mu. Sororities and fraternities should not change their ritual. Stay true to the ritual.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
For NPC groups it started with school admin trying to curb hazing and pushing the groups for shortened pledge periods. Last I heard, all but Chi Omega had gone to 6 weeks. they still have semester long...but that may have changed by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Didn't someone recently tell us that Chi O did go to 6 weeks? I swear I heard that.
Do I recall Chi Omega being able to initiate classes from second semester primary recruitments at six weeks, since most of those students had already made grades during first semester? And where a campus only allows UC to be recruited (no frosh) isn't a six week initiation then allowed by Chi Omega?
Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Granted, it has been awhile, but when I rushed, we were "required" to work it into conversation during house tours that we were founded by "five Christian women".

My own experience as a non Christian/non Jew is that the religious elements of my ritual were totally fine with me. At the time I was agnostic, now I'm an atheist. I regard the Christian elements of our sorority as a pleasant and old-fashoned - much like the Greek mythology incorporated into these organizations.

I don't try to convert people to my way of thinking - we are all welcome to interpret based on our experiences. And I knew had I pledged D Phi E or SDT, there might have been elements that didn't line up with mine. They both cut me just before prefs, which I found disappointing.

Now, if they wanted to edit or change our ritual, I can't say I would be appalled or devastated. I think the critical elements would still be there. Namely - and I hope this is the underlying thesis of all orgs - "these are your sisters, be kind to each other".

But I don't have much of a stake in soft-pedaling religion in ritual.

Now, had our ritual stated that only Christians were good people and we should spit on non-believers, and that whites are a superior race, I would have politely gotten up and left.

Old 07-23-2020, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Now, had our ritual stated that only Christians were good people and we should spit on non-believers, and that whites are a superior race, I would have politely gotten up and left.
It must be the partial quarantine getting to me, because somehow that sentence makes me laugh out loud.