GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,138
0 members and 2,138 guests
No Members online

Old 06-01-2009, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

New Professional Fraternity Recruitment Ideas

I just started a new professional fraternity for foreign service at my school and this fall we are taking our first real pledge class. It is co-ed and we have about just under 50 members right now. Our members are very diverse, but are all interested in careers in the international sector.
I was wondering what kind of events would be good for recruitment. I am the new president and my pledgemaster and I are in charge of making up the entire pledge process. I am a little overwhelmed and am just starting with recruitment ideas. Any help you could give would be great!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

What activities have you done in the past? 50 members is a respectable amount, so you guys must be doing something right.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

well we didn't have any type of recruitment last semester. Anyone who wanted could pay the small fee and join. We may have less then 50 members starting next fall, as dues go up and we expect more commitment from people. so i'm not sure where to start.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonia2399 View Post
I just started a new professional fraternity for foreign service at my school and this fall we are taking our first real pledge class. It is co-ed and we have about just under 50 members right now. Our members are very diverse, but are all interested in careers in the international sector.
I was wondering what kind of events would be good for recruitment. I am the new president and my pledgemaster and I are in charge of making up the entire pledge process. I am a little overwhelmed and am just starting with recruitment ideas. Any help you could give would be great!!!
Quote:
I just started a new professional fraternity for foreign service at my school and we are taking our first real pledge class this fall. I am the new president and my pledge master and I are responsible for making up the entire pledge process.
We are a very diverse group, but all are interested in or looking at careers in the international field. Right now we have about 35 members, and it is co-ed. I need ideas for both co-ed groups, and girl only groups.
I don't even know where to start so any advice or help would be great!
QFP

One thread will suffice.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

actually they are two seperate questions, if you actually read them carefully. one asks about recruitment and one is about the pledge process.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Did your founders pass anything down? If you've taken in new members in the past, how did they learn fraternity business?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I am one of the founders of our chapter so we don't have anything at all from former members because there are none. The only other chapter we have been in contact with is male only so their recruitment stuff is way different.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

OK. It sounds like you're pretty much doing everything from scratch.

Read this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174

If your organization has another chapter, you should probably get pledge process information from them (as I'm sure there needs to be uniformity across the board). You can get recruitment ideas by skimming the recruitment threads.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

well almost all that information is on social sororities and fraternities. I need help with a professional fraternity, whose goals and processes are quite different
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe have a couple of open interest meetings where you let prospective members know about your organization. Then have an invite only event and extend bids at that time.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
well almost all that information is on social sororities and fraternities. I need help with a professional fraternity, whose goals and processes are quite different
That link was intended to give you a jumping off point. There is no "one size fits all" formula for GLOs. If you are a founder, you are the one who comes up with rules and processes (otherwise, what's the point of creating a new organization). You'll need to do a little research on your own.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Why not contact delta phi epsilon foreign service fraternity for help? Or decide what your membership standards are before you start planning rush? Look at some other professional fraternities as models.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Why not contact delta phi epsilon foreign service fraternity for help? Or decide what your membership standards are before you start planning rush? Look at some other professional fraternities as models.
They've been getting a lot of free publicity on GC these days!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Maybe have a couple of open interest meetings where you let prospective members know about your organization. Then have an invite only event and extend bids at that time.
This is how we got new members in Alpha Kappa Psi--Professional Co-Ed Business Fraternity. It has been awhile but I dont think we took first semester freshman. I believe PNM's had to have a certain college GPA to join and then another to remain an active member.

Remind yourself of the principles on which you were founded. Use that as a way to guide you as to what you are looking for in new members.

I would come up with a set of bylaws for your chapter as well that includes membership (requirements and a process to follow if a member needs to be released from the chapter).