GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,382
3 members and 1,379 guests
aangelasuasd942, naraht

Old 05-21-2000, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Shelacious: It wouldn't be in the bylaws of NPHC, it would be in the constitution & bylaws of each particular organization.

To All: As I mentioned before, I can only speak for my organization, (Delta Sigma Theta) and in our constitution it states that if you were currently a member of (or had been expelled from) an org in the NPHC or the Panhellenic Conference that you are not eligible for membership. I can't speak for the frats of the NPHC and what they allow, which is why I suggested that the person who was interested in joing a NPHC frat should ask members of the organization they were wanting to join.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-22-2000, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Question

Here's a scenario, along the lines of discussion on this thread. How would you/your chapter handle this situation.

Your GLO is a local (ie. not governed by IFC, NPC, NPHC, etc. at the university or nat'l level).

Among the current pledge class, one individual suddenly depledges, with little or no explanation why. Later, it is found that (s)he has pledged a national (IFC/NPC/NPHC etc.), nearly immediately after depledging your house.

This situation troubles me for two reasons:
(a) there was a breach of honor for leaving your house, without explanation, and leaving loose ends, *and*
(b) pledging another house right after leaving the first.

If I am to understand things correctly, even as a pledge, there's a protocol to follow in the depledging process. Also, I know for NPC sororities at least (at my school, at least), if you depledge one house, you cannot pledge another one, for at least another year.

It should be noted that the "new" house has no knowledge/documentation that their newest pledge has just depledged a local GLO, since the local is not connected through the university-GLO governing body.

I'd be curious as to everyone's response, whether you're a local or nat'l organization. And feel to take any (or all!) points of view, including that of each GLO, the member in question, etc.

Old 05-22-2000, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

To all the Alphas and Kappas out there: How exactly would you feel if someone had really made a wrong decision in joining a "white" fraternity (some hidden racism surfaced, esp. from alumni), deactivated through their nationals (meaning they were erased from the books), had friends who recently joined your organization and they wanted to pledge more than anything. Would you turn them away?
Old 05-22-2000, 03:00 PM
Simon

Booooo, man, shut up!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jae:
To all the Alphas and Kappas out there: How exactly would you feel if someone had really made a wrong decision in joining a "white" fraternity (some hidden racism surfaced, esp. from alumni), deactivated through their nationals (meaning they were erased from the books), had friends who recently joined your organization and they wanted to pledge more than anything. Would you turn them away?
Old 05-22-2000, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you an Alpha, Kappa, or just someone offering their two cents?
Old 05-22-2000, 03:28 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
Here's a scenario, along the lines of discussion on this thread. How would you/your chapter handle this situation.

Your GLO is a local (ie. not governed by IFC, NPC, NPHC, etc. at the university or nat'l level).

Among the current pledge class, one individual suddenly depledges, with little or no explanation why. Later, it is found that (s)he has pledged a national (IFC/NPC/NPHC etc.), nearly immediately after depledging your house.

This situation troubles me for two reasons:
(a) there was a breach of honor for leaving your house, without explanation, and leaving loose ends, *and*
(b) pledging another house right after leaving the first.

If I am to understand things correctly, even as a pledge, there's a protocol to follow in the depledging process. Also, I know for NPC sororities at least (at my school, at least), if you depledge one house, you cannot pledge another one, for at least another year.

-True, unless the house/colony is disbanded. Former pledges can then pledge another NPC house immediately if they want.

It should be noted that the "new" house has no knowledge/documentation that their newest pledge has just depledged a local GLO, since the local is not connected through the university-GLO governing body.

-The "new" house should be a little more careful when picking their pledges. If they know and don't care, they obviously value numbers over character. Their problem.

I'd be curious as to everyone's response, whether you're a local or nat'l organization. And feel to take any (or all!) points of view, including that of each GLO, the member in question, etc.

I'm going to ass-ume that this situation happened to you, and here's my thought: the girl who did this is a backstabbing jerk. You probably could make a stink about it and hold her to the bid she took from you, even if you're not NPC. But do you really want someone like that to be your sister? Take it from me, you are much better off. The only thing I would have to say to her is "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
Old 05-23-2000, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:

I'm going to ass-ume that this situation happened to you, and here's my thought: the girl who did this is a backstabbing jerk. You probably could make a stink about it and hold her to the bid she took from you, even if you're not NPC. But do you really want someone like that to be your sister? Take it from me, you are much better off. The only thing I would have to say to her is "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
Ditto.