GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,343
2 members and 2,341 guests
Sen's Revenge, Titchou

Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Kateee, I am just catching up and continuing to wish you well. Kevin provided a more concrete outline for the letter than I did, which should be helpful. I also recognize that you are a devoted member of your organization, which, taking the long view, is an asset and deserves mention. You may wish to cut back on non-sorority extracurriculars (other than physical activities -- exercise is good) so that, until the academics have righted themselves, your focus is not spread too thinly. Continued best wishes to you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 PM

I'm sure that if she was taking any kind of pain meds or antihistamines for the sinus infections/tonsillitus, that almost certainly exacerbated the depression issues. Getting that under control should help a lot.

Katee, definitely get in touch with the academic counseling center at your university - showing you have a clear plan in place is a point in your favor. You have to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps, don't count on others being there to help you. Life is too uncertain for that.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

T

Last edited by kateee; 06-12-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
.... random thought....
what kind of winterguard competes on Saturday morning?!

my competitions were always in the evening. I'm also intrigued as to what college has a competitive winterguard. I can only think of 2 around here. I wish UMass had a competitive winterguard when I was there.... sigh.

So sorry for the double post! I should clarify, we met Saturday mornings to practice before competitions but would usually compete around dinnertime, so it was an all day affair. But I had lots of time to study on the bus and the president of my sorority was the captain so she kept me on track haha. Winterguard is very new to my campus, as is our marching band in general (4 year old marching band, 2 year old winterguard). There are only 2 other schools in our division as well. It would be nice to compete against more.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority probation advice aside, I'm genuinely shocked that you were sick and seeing a doctor who you didn't have that doctor write a note explaining the situation to your Dean or advisor and the registrars office to appeal the grade.

I had a mental breakdown during a semester and just stopped going to class, I failed every single one. When I was healthier my psychiatrist wrote a letter and I wrote a letter explaining what had happened and my grades were switched from an F to a medical withdrawal.

I know you're still deciding what to do. Have you considered taking the fall semester off to work on yourself. Maybe get into some counseling, find some support networks, you can do volunteer work. Really just take time to be introspective and figure out who you are and what you want to do.

Last edited by Nanners52674; 06-12-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 AM

Kateee, I think you are wise to reevaluate your entire college career at this time. Maybe it would be best for you to take a break and resume when you are at 100%. It sounds like you are incurring a great deal of debt to pay for college, so you will need to obtain gainful employment upon graduation in order to repay that debt. With extremely low grades, the chances of getting a good job are significantly diminished. This could lead to severe financial woes that could follow you for much of your life. That could certainly exacerbate depression, as well as get you off on the wrong foot. You need to try to think ahead to what is best for you in the long run, not just the next couple of years. College should be the foundation for a better life, not the first step to financial ruin.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Maybe HQ and your chapter officers can just read this thread and you won't even have to write a letter.

Why, oh why, would you think it's a good idea to go to a Greek message board for help with this? Local, in-person support would be much more appropriate.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

katee, considering your circumstances and your overall academic history (good freshman year, tough sophomore year) I am willing to bet that your chapter will work with you for a positive outcome. You're not one of the "party girls" that thinks this whole scholarship probation is a joke and really doesn't care about grades.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Maybe HQ and your chapter officers can just read this thread and you won't even have to write a letter.

Why, oh why, would you think it's a good idea to go to a Greek message board for help with this? Local, in-person support would be much more appropriate.
Initially I felt the exact same way, but she has received great advice and support in this thread. She may not have gotten the same response had she kept it local, in person.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Banned

Or she may have gotten the same response had she kept it local, in person. Maybe posting this on GC will receive a negative response from her chapter. Who knows. Good luck to the OP.

/lane swerve
Old 06-12-2014, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

True.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 PM

Her chapter is small enough that I doubt any of this is news at this point.

She is also not in an area where people are immersed in figuring out how to handle every sorority issue imaginable from dawn until dusk.