GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,612
3 members and 1,609 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter used a point system for optional events that encouraged people to participate to earn little Tri Sigma prizes at the end of the semester or become like a "top sister."

Aside from recruitment, philanthropy and rituals, I've never been a fan of making things mandatory when it comes along with a fine. I know some chapters struggle with attendance, but a lot of my sisters were juggling jobs and studying super hard on top of sorority activities, and I think if they have a legitimate excuse like a class or a work shift they can't get out of, they should NOT be fined. I've seen this happen in other chapters and it did really bother me :/

Last edited by Wynter; 08-27-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I agree that making everything optional may cause problems, but the same goes for making everything mandatory. My chapter was heavy on the "this is mandatory", "that's mandatory", "it's mandatory to have X number of people sign up for the philanthropy event". I participated, but it still got a little frustrating when everything was mandatory.
I totally agree with you. When I first joined my chapter a lot more things were mandatory and I started to hate that word haha. But we changed the rules to make things more lax and I think everyone had a better time overall as a result (and there was less drama )