GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,154
3 members and 1,151 guests
PGD-GRAD, zabryashulze790

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
If you like that sort of person lol

No, I think that the Grammy awards are about more than singing ability (and she's above average as it is). She was the breath of fresh air in the sea of Katy Perry / Justin Bieber / Nicki Minaj and filled the void left by Amy Winehouse (who, herself, won several Grammys in one night).
The fact that Bieber, Minaj, and Perry are part of the the Grammys is just confirmation to me that honoring record sales is just as important if not more than honoring great recordings to them. Don't get me wrong, Adele is a good vocalist and she released a good album but she IS extremely overrated.

I was surprised that Florence+The Machine didn't get any noms yet Katie Perry did....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZQPe...eature=related

Also, IIRC Amy Winehouse was a "has-been" the last few years of her life.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
The fact that Bieber, Minaj, and Perry are part of the the Grammys is just confirmation to me that honoring record sales is just as important if not more than honoring great recordings to them. Don't get me wrong, Adele is a good vocalist and she released a good album but she IS extremely overrated.

I was surprised that Florence+The Machine didn't get any noms yet Katie Perry did....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZQPe...eature=related

Also, IIRC Amy Winehouse was a "has-been" the last few years of her life.
FATM was nominated for Best New Artist.

Nomination Process (from wiki):

Quote:
Record companies and individuals may submit recordings to be nominated. Nominations are made online and a physical copy of the work is sent to the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Once a work is entered, reviewing sessions are held, by more than 150 experts from the recording industry, to determine whether the work is eligible and entered in the correct category for official nomination.

The resulting list is circulated to all NARAS members, each of whom may vote to nominate in the general field (Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best New Artist) and in no more than nine out of 30 other fields on their ballots. The five recordings that earn the most votes in each category become the nominees. There may be more than five nominees if there is a tie in the nomination process.

Whereas members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are generally invited to screenings or are sent DVDs of movies nominated for Oscars, NARAS members do not receive nominated recordings.

After nominees have been determined, final voting ballots are sent to Recording Academy members, who may then vote in the general fields and in no more than eight of the 30 fields. NARAS members are encouraged, but not required, to vote only in their fields of expertise. Ballots are tabulated secretly by the major independent accounting firm Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu.[10] Following the tabulation of votes the winners are announced at the Grammy Awards. The recording with the most votes in a category wins and it is possible to have a tie. Winners are presented with the Grammy Award and those who do not win are given a medal for their nomination.

In both voting rounds, Academy members are required to vote based upon quality alone, and not to be influenced by sales, chart performance, personal friendships, regional preferences or company loyalty. The acceptance of gifts is prohibited. Members are urged to vote in a manner that preserves the integrity of the academy.

The eligibility period for the 2012 Grammy Awards was October 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011.
So it's a popularity contest, but not necessarily a "record sales" contest.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

And I'll admit it -- I never pay any attention at all to the Grammies. They seem to me to be much more about the music industry rather than the art of music. They're pretty meaningless to me.
Exactly, just music execs patting each other on the back for good sales.

Also, how does Bon Iver win "Best New Artist"in 2012 when his debut album came out in 2008?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
FATM was nominated for Best New Artist.
That was in 2010 I think but her last album (which is amazing) didn't get any noms.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Exactly, just music execs patting each other on the back for good sales.

Also, how does Bon Iver win "Best New Artist"in 2012 when his debut album came out in 2008?
Again, from Wiki:

Quote:
The official guidelines are as follows: "For a new artist who releases, during the Eligibility Year, the first recording which establishes the public identity of that artist." Note that this is not necessarily the first album released by an artist.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That was in 2010 I think but her last album (which is amazing) didn't get any noms.
Oh, you meant that their current release didn't get an nominations? Got it.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Netflix is starting to become a waste of money.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Netflix is starting to become a waste of money.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I the only person who doesn't get the hoopla surrounding Angelina Jolie and her leg at the Oscars?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
lol
You like Netflix?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
lol
You like Netflix?
Love it. I have streaming without DVDs, and although I don't get ALL the selections I want, there are enough to keep me happy (actually, a lot of the titles that aren't on Netflix are free on Hulu, so I can just go there).

When I'm in the office, I work on the left screen and watch Netflix on the right, so it keeps me entertained on a daily basis lol

Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When I'm in the office, I work on the left screen and watch Netflix on the right, so it keeps me entertained on a daily basis lol

omg! lol lol
Freaking hilarious!!! knight_shadow, you're the best!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I was on such a roll writing this paper last night but it was 11:30 and I had to get to bed. Now I cannot get re-focused on it. I'm paying attention to everything except this paper. UGH!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Am I the only person who doesn't get the hoopla surrounding Angelina Jolie and her leg at the Oscars?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

There is mold in the garage of my townhouse that has come from water seeping into and under the shared wall with my neighbor. They don't clean their car off when it snows and when we had the massive storm in January the melt from their vehicle flooded over into my garage. As part of my Lent behavior I've been cleaning things out to give away or recycle and I discovered there is an 8 foot horizontal piece of sheet rock/drywall covered in mold.

I am allergic to mold, and this would probably explain why I've been mysterious ill and feeling crummy the past few weeks. I've been avoiding my food allergies so the fact I've been wheezy and needing an inhaler, itchy, sinuses out of control, fevers, and unexplained bloody noises is likely a result of this mold. I'm so freaked out that it could be growing in the walls and making me and my cats sick. My landlord is going to have to rip the wall out to abate the mold and replace the materials, and I'm going to take my cats and leave.

I'm going out to buy a mold mask, garbage bags, and more Rubbermaid totes. I've already got shelving to keep my stuff off the floor, but I've been collecting those paper ream boxes with lids for moving and I don't want them infected. Of course it is going to snow tonight so I want to get everything out, protected, and cleaned before more water comes in. This is such a nightmare for me since my home is my sanctuary and being there is giving me anxiety.

Thank God I have renter's insurance and the La Quinta accepts pets.