GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200

Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ckdCosmo
Looking for some advice on Greek life

I go to a small school (maybe 3,000 people, including commuters) and Greek life is pretty small. The administration is trying to get rid of us, and people aren't all that interested in pledging. For whatever reason, most people (including Greeks) don't really care about doing anything that does not involve drinking. The campus is basically saturated with apathy. Has anyone been in/seen a situation like this where you are trying to bring back Greek life? Any tips on how to jumpstart Greek life, get people interested? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-11-2006, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TKEmanKM Send a message via Yahoo to TKEmanKM
Ok coming from a regional advisor point of view there are a few things that you can do.

One, start using proper risk management procedures when pertaining to your social events and if possible do not serve any alcohol at them. This has a couple of reasons behind it. One: you want people to get to know you not just that your a drinker, Two: this will show that your organization is somewhat responsible enough to limit alcohol from being the focus of greek life. Three: you will be more apt to get people who are non drinkers to come to your function if it is not associated with alcohol.

Two: Recruitment needs to be an all the time thing. People know you from the organization that you are from, start cleaning house as it were and start recruiting the people with the grades and adminstrative connections

Three: Public Relations is everyone's job. Start with community service. Start by having everyone do two hours a week in the community. Wear letters and let everyone know where you go to school. If the school sees you reflecting good on them, they will keep you around for good PR. People see this and if your organization is achieving grades and social events in balance, then more people will be apt to come looking. Work other areas and recruitment together as needed.

If people in other organizations start seeing your organization grow then by all means let them know what you are doing. A good and growing greek system is everyone's dream.

Interfraternally,
Rob

Last edited by TKEmanKM; 11-12-2006 at 09:00 AM. Reason: forgot a letter
Old 11-11-2006, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Excellent advice.

The seed is planted by one person or group.

Do the proper thing, follow the rules and make sure you are a stand out organization which anyone would be proud to belong to.

Be leaders, not followers.

It will pay off in the long run for you and your Fraternity.

Remember, there are smaller schools that have very thriving Greek Organizations.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
jessicaelaine

one thing that i know helps with getting a positive image of greek life out at my school is doing things for the school. it's not just about presenting a good image or giving the school a good name by volunteering, but actually making every students time spent at the school a better one. we have a social commitee for all of ifc with a representative or two from each org. we not only hold events for just greeks but things for the whole school. and they all have to be alcohol free because my sorority is dry. non-greeks at my school sometimes feel that being greek is something totally different from being a student at our school. but to me, being greek suppliments all the other experiences that i have at college.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TKEmanKM Send a message via Yahoo to TKEmanKM
Problem with this is that IFC's have their own agenda and many organizations do not have a council member on the board. Now at your school, the IFC may be good but I have seen more than one IFC that has had its own agenda's by kicking groups out of IFC and not giving them recognition. If an individual organization keeps their path free of obstacles and is responsible then the administration of the school may look on it favorably.

Ultimately it comes down to fraternal values. We as greeks really need to look at our values and the values of the entire greek community and take them into account when taking action. We cannot give administrations an inch toward eliminating greek life.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been involved in similar circumstances. The administration will succeed in getting rid of you if they really want it bad enough. Money and alumni donations are the only reason why my university still has a greek system. one fraternity's alumni donated 300,000 dollars to the university. As long as stuff like this is going on, greeks are safe for the most part. However, you can still do something stupid, like haze and get banned.

I really don't think any amount of philanthropy or good deed doing will save you if the university is already set on killing you off. If this is the case, their eyes and ears are closed. Best you dont fuck up anymore, however. They'll use any excuse they can to close a chapter if they really want you gone.

In order to survive, you're going to have to think outside the bubble of the university itself. You need to grab the university by the balls. You need to form a group of alumni and actives to discuss the situation and possible solutions for it (Please note, I'm talking about alumni from all greek social organizations, not just your chapter). The best solution would be for some powerful alumni to step in and "voice their happiness of the university's continued support of greek life." (read in between the lines).

My recomendation is that you meet off campus and meet regularly.

People are apathetic becuase they have no leader. They are scattered, and probably fighting amongst one another while the university kills them off one by one. You need to be that leader. Throw a party, invite a bunch of greek leaders. sit them down, talk about the issue and set the ground work for the meeting i suggested. You want to meet with people on a non-formal basis, in a non-formal discussion. This is to spare your meeting group from being encumbered by rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdCosmo View Post
I go to a small school (maybe 3,000 people, including commuters) and Greek life is pretty small. The administration is trying to get rid of us, and people aren't all that interested in pledging. For whatever reason, most people (including Greeks) don't really care about doing anything that does not involve drinking. The campus is basically saturated with apathy. Has anyone been in/seen a situation like this where you are trying to bring back Greek life? Any tips on how to jumpstart Greek life, get people interested? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by archangel689; 11-17-2006 at 03:58 PM.