GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,676
1 members and 1,675 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 07-02-2005, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
As I was reading about the recruitment budgets, I thought the same thing about Philanthropy. Then I thought.. how about if chapters' recruitment budgets were based on their philanthropy efforts? So, you could only spend half of what you'd earned for your sorority's philanthropy the prior year? That would at least help them get their priorities straight, I would hope!
The only problem I see with this is that I know that my sorority chose our philanthropy because they DIDN'T want money, they wanted manpower. We wanted to see PHYSICAL results of our work, not just financial. Sooo...would you do something like a "this is how much you would have earned had you been paid for your services" type of thing?
Old 07-02-2005, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont agree with a recruitment budget based on philanthropy donations b/c any one can write a check but the hours you put in are more meaningful!

One of my campus's has 8 NPC chapters and quota is like 18 on average. They have smaller parties of like 20-30 pmn (there are like 10 rounds of parties and you get 2 breaks as a chapter) over 3 days with some breaks in the day. Their budget is like %$600 but its a no-frills recruitment. so the panhellenic tells the chapters what types of food they can serve each day (like juice and finger food, cookies, etc...) 1 day is house tours, one is a philanthropy day, and the pref. its sooo much nicer than the frills before. There are no skits and only chants when the PNM's are exiting on day 1 and day 2 so its not so over whelming
Old 07-02-2005, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TxGirl
New NPC rules have made silence rules less strict. This should have been implemented last recruitment, but I know that some find it hard to make the change or are worried that chapter members will go from super strict silence to no-silence if given any lessening of the rule. But the NPC idea is to allow Suzy Sister to say hi, talk about class and tell Rita Rushee (just doesn't have the same ring as Rita PNM!) that she can't really talk to her. NPC is aware that strict silence was causing some women to feel alienated by the chapter members.

As for terminology - Recruitment doesn't bother me - it's just so long to type/write. Same for PNM - but I actually kinda like it better. I can't remember what the new one for "pref card" is but it's pretty long to. My pet peeve when it comes to names - calling chapters houses. I joined a chapter of Alpha Xi Delta - I didn't join a house of Alpha Xi Delta. If the house burned down and you built another one - are you still a member if you joined a house??

I agree with the rec stuff - while NPC and most Recruitment Rules says officially we as chapters are responsible for finding our own recs for each woman we are interested in - we all know it's not true. I guess that women need to realize that going through recruitment (which is why I guess recruitment is really the better term) is like going on the biggest job interview of your life. You wouldn't go there looking like you just rolled out of bed (which I've seen), you will have a completed application/resume (another pet peeve - you didn't do anything while in high school bu sleep and go to school???) and you have personal recs. Personally, I think recs from teachers/professors, clergy etc. are just as important as those from chapter alumnae who may or may not know the PNM. They often give more insight as they were written for college applications or the like.

As for frills no frills - NPC gave recommendations about that in the late 80's - of course they are just recommendations and some campuses have made the change while others have not. At my alma mater recruitment budgets are supposed to be about $10,000, but everyone spends more than that - some spend 3 or 4x more. I've never understood that, but until there is someway to make them stick to an actual budget it will go on. FYI, alumnae doantions are supposed to count into your recruitment budget. Only the use of items you currently have (say from prior recruitments) don't count.

The only way I can see to curb recruitment budgets is to not allow the chapters to recruit out of their chapter houses except during the "open house" round. If all other rounds were on campus in similar rooms and you were given a list of specific things you could have - then that would get it under control. But of course it won't happen.

I love the songs and most campuses have rules about so called "hot boxing". While it is different from campus to campus I would say 6 to 1 is a no no anywhere. Bid promising is another pet peeve and I have told any chapter that I'm at that I will have the persons pin if I find them doing it. It isn't fair to the PNM or to the chapter. One person cannot and should not try to speak for the entire chapter. Beside the fact that they can't really guarantee a bid and if the PNM doesn't get one they have just hurt the entire system.

As always, I have lots of opinions!!

Old 07-02-2005, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally posted by TxGirl

. Bid promising is another pet peeve and I have told any chapter that I'm at that I will have the persons pin if I find them doing it. It isn't fair to the PNM or to the chapter. One person cannot and should not try to speak for the entire chapter. Beside the fact that they can't really guarantee a bid and if the PNM doesn't get one they have just hurt the entire system.

Haha, kicking ass and taking pins.

The bid promising thing really irks me too, especially when it's not said "outright" but said in every other way.

Another rush pet peeve is the lack of honest information the girls can recieve because of talking Panhellenically. We had a group on campus (widely considered the best) that had an unfortunate situation earlier in the year and were put on social probation for the entire year (pledging mixers were OK, sisterhood events, no go). And my PX partner and I told the girls straight up about it, and what had ACTUALLY happened, so that they didn't have to hear it from the anti-greek grapevine. A couple of people thought that I shouldn't have told them that, because it could be seen as discouraging. Nope, not discouraging, just telling the truth. I hate the rumor mills, and since I had sat on the governance board for that infraction and I work for the paper, I knew what was up FOR REAL...so I let them know as much as I could let them without breaking confidentiality. That chapter still took quota and then some, and they're still a fabulous chapter.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Great topic!
1. Much better information for pnms especially for those where recruitment is frighteningly large. Chapters miss out on wonderful women who simply haven't a clue about about the process. NPC shoud make a recommendation about types of information that shoud absolutely be available to pnms.
2. Upfront and honest information regarding financial obligations.
3. Recruitment back to rush please. There is nothing offensive about the word Rush-and honestly it is a far more accurate word for the experience.
4. More alumnae involvement with rush. In addition to rho chis (or whatever they're called). Some alumnae women should "disaffiliate" to be able to counsel and advise rushees.
5. Better training for rho chis. Unfortunately these women can often be a source of mis-information and or prejudice. They have enormous power, especially the first few days and even a raised eyebrow at a certain question can color a rushee's opinion of a certain chapter.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:25 PM

*It'd be nice if one of the parties included presentations by a group of women from the local alumnae chapter, to emphasize the lifetime commitment.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
*It'd be nice if one of the parties included presentations by a group of women from the local alumnae chapter, to emphasize the lifetime commitment.
Nice idea, but what about colonies / new chapters who may not have a local alumnae chapter yet?
Old 07-07-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LightBulb
Nice idea, but what about colonies / new chapters who may not have a local alumnae chapter yet?
New chapters/colonies could have one of the assisting alumnae groups do it or the closest alumnae chapter to that area.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kasis-anon
4. More alumnae involvement with rush. In addition to rho chis (or whatever they're called). Some alumnae women should "disaffiliate" to be able to counsel and advise rushees.
5. Better training for rho chis. Unfortunately these women can often be a source of mis-information and or prejudice. They have enormous power, especially the first few days and even a raised eyebrow at a certain question can color a rushee's opinion of a certain chapter.
I LOVE this suggestion. I remember our RhoChi's were really anxious to get back with their chapters and party with the new members. Having non-affiliated adults to take on some of this burden would be a stellar idea....especially at the larger schools. It'd almost be like having a PNM's mom there to cry with.

I also like what you mentioned, ariesrising, about the information sheets. This would not only help out keeping groups straight, it would eliminate a lot of the small talk that takes up time in short parties!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish the rush application had been a bit more... "intensive" just so that matching went better. I remember getting asked the same questions over and over at some houses (such as "where are you living? what's your major?") and wanting to shoot myself. I would have rather only spoken to 2 sisters each day and had better conversations with them than 6 sisters reviewing the same thing every time. Even if the rushee's nametag had that info on it (we had name tags) like place of birth, major, name, would help b/c then the sister could say "oh, i see you're a (insert here) major, why did you choose that?" and it would make things a little less... interview-like and more conversational.

I wish Rho Chi's had prepared me for the gauntlet. I am the only female greek in my family and I had no clue what was coming. When we were standing in front of the house and all of a sudden I hear loud chanting and the doors opened and I saw all the girls, I almost started to shake I was so overwhelmed. It is VERY intimidating at first.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

In an ideal world, recruitment skits, songs and decorations would be banished. PNM's would have opportunities throughout the semester to interact with sororities by being invited to special dinners, sisterhood picnics, enrichment workshops (ie: Resume Writing, Self-Defense, Living on a College Budget, etc) and community service events or fundraisers. They would get a feel for the members and what it is like to be a member of a sorority.

Recruitment would be a year-round casual practice, and members would be COB'd in without a formal song and dance routine to court them.

Realistically, that would never happen.

So ideally, I'd like a week where PNM's go to all houses on the first night and then have the option to travel from house to house through a 4 hour window for refreshments and conversation. Chapters would have awards on display, a video recalling their accomplishments and chapter highlights and conversation would be the most important part of the event... not the red carpet runway being held in place with duct tape and push pins. After some general discussion, members would be offered bids on the spot and given 24 hours to accept-- at which point they would begin a structured new member period and initiated pending sucessful completion of one semester with decent grades.

(you know, kind of like fraternity rush....)
Old 07-08-2005, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TxGirl

As for terminology - Recruitment doesn't bother me - it's just so long to type/write. Same for PNM - but I actually kinda like it better. I can't remember what the new one for "pref card" is but it's pretty long to. My pet peeve when it comes to names - calling chapters houses. I joined a chapter of Alpha Xi Delta - I didn't join a house of Alpha Xi Delta. If the house burned down and you built another one - are you still a member if you joined a house??

As for frills no frills - NPC gave recommendations about that in the late 80's - of course they are just recommendations and some campuses have made the change while others have not. At my alma mater recruitment budgets are supposed to be about $10,000, but everyone spends more than that - some spend 3 or 4x more. I've never understood that, but until there is someway to make them stick to an actual budget it will go on. FYI, alumnae doantions are supposed to count into your recruitment budget. Only the use of items you currently have (say from prior recruitments) don't count.

I love the songs and most campuses have rules about so called "hot boxing". While it is different from campus to campus I would say 6 to 1 is a no no anywhere.
I agree the terminology does not bother me at all. I think the change in recruitment from Rush was that Rush made it sound like you were running through a process quickly.

But I agree on the chapter VS house thing. I hate that! Which house did you join.. no I live ina house I joined a chapter. The house is physical and the chapter is people.

Hot Boxing: I believe NPC has rules on this that are or should be standard on all campuses I dont think its different at different places.

The one thing I do know is that Rho Chi's need to be more organized and so do college Panhellenics. One I worked with the Fraternity/Sorority advisor was NEVER a greek and he has no orgnaizational skills. Like party lists coming in the 3rd party or forgetting to put down a legacy, or when PNM's talk about themes and we are no frills rush! He was like I dont know how to find out if they are having a theme... Hello do a house check before rush and during! I think unviersity greek life needs more education and communication to the undergrads to promote a postive and well informed experience especially if there are many chapters on campus and PNM's can get really confused!
Old 07-08-2005, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally posted by Kasis-anon

Or if you had alumnae women from NPC groups not represented on campus as Alumnae counselors, then there's no affilitation problem.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

OR contact the local NPC alum group... like the area officers. They may be able to help out as well by at least meeting with all the PNM;s like a forum for them to share the information etc... with all the PNM's like on the rush orientation day most schools have that is manditory to attend.... this way they are not there the whole time, its hard to really push your chapter, and they are the "know it alls" on this stuff.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
I really really like the idea of involving the Greek alumnae women, if it were possible, during Rush/Recruitment, especially for being around for cuts. I think some Ro Chis don't get how a PNM feels when she has been cut hard or they can't explain why a girl was cut. If we had some other way to allow the older alumnae women to be involved like that.....

This is a good idea...what would it take to get schools/ Panhellenic Alumnae to consider this?

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida