GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,597
0 members and 1,597 guests
No Members online

Old 01-30-2005, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

great post alphalpha!

LSU rush is very well known for being competitive, this is no great secret. So you knew what you were getting into ahead of time. There is never a guarantee that you'll get a bid anywhere.

You've said that none of the 300+ other orgs on campus interest you? I think you're wearing blinders. Even if you had gotten a bid, most houses would require you to be involved in at least one other extracirricular activity. I can at least speak for KD in saying that this is a requirement. Heck, who knows, maybe this was a reason you got cut was because you had no other activities and no hobbies or interests? Those sort of things are definitely things that can be factors. A sorority wants a girl who brings something to a house. There were 900+ "nice" perfectly lovely girls that went through. Most of them probably had something to bring to the group besides being nice!

Find something else to do with your life. I don't meant to seem harsh, but you've been continually whining about how it's not fair and there's only so much patience in me. Life's not fair. Lose the woe is me attitude and get off your behind and do something about it. You DID have a chance, and i'm sorry that maybe you didn't make the best impression, but all those other girls were in the same boat. They made the best of it. You should've too.

If there is absolutely nothing out there that interests you (do you have no hobbies?), then I feel sorry for you. If there is something that interests you, and there's not a group, get off of your ass and start a group. At my school you just needed 10 people and an advisor, fill out a form, and you're good to go.

MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LSUgrrl126
All of the chapters at LSU have rules stating that if they've cut you, they can never reconsider you for membership, guaranteeing that they'll never have a place on sorority row. Is this where these girls were meant to be?

do you know this to be a fact? or is this one of those rumors that tends to be spread to "explain" why some women go bidless?

i've never heard of such a thing.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

I don't understand this about the rules saying that sororities can't bid someone they've cut before. One of my daughters pledged a sorority that had cut her the year before. I know of several similar situations.

It wouldn't make sense to have such a hard and fast rule! First, you'd have to keep track of several girls and what would you do if you realized you'd bid a girl you'd cut the year before? Drop her? I don't think so.

Also, I know of many girls who didn't get a bid at ABC University, transferred, then had their choice of sororities at DEF University--all chapters that had cut them. There's certainly no way that sororities could track girls from college to college, making sure that they didn't get bid by a group who'd formerly cut them.

Finally--people change. There are PNMs who get overlooked the first time they rush and they become strong leaders or get to know a lot of sorority members during their freshman year. The next year, the sororities are like, "We want her! How could we have overlooked her last year?"
Old 01-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

once cut, always cut

i am not familiar with this rule either. perhaps it is a school thing? anyway, lsugirl, alphalpha gave you awesome advice. start a local. or if you simply feel you will be incomplete unless you are a member of an npc sorority, transfer schools and choose a school with a less competitive recruitment. as kddani pointed out, you need to get out an circulate-join an organization. i do not believe that with over 300 organizations to choose from, you can't find one that interests you.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
I always hear that people are upset cause they got cut from EVERY sorority . . . I also find that hard to believe . . . I mean yes I am sure that there is some random girl out there who actually may have gotten cut from EVERY sorority but MOST of the time they mean that they got cut from what they considered to be the best sororities.

Well, Wahh! In reality you cut sororities and its not them cutting you. Quota is set to give the most girls a bid . . .its not set to cut girls from the greek system. And when you hear that some rush went by and 40 out of 200 girls didnt get a bid check to see if any of the sororities didnt make quota and then you will see who is cutting who.

Don't get me wrong pnm's have the total right to WANT WHAT THEY WANT but I find it difficult to feel sorry for them because they didnt get a bid from "abc" when "abc" has total and quota and they are devistated or sour graped by the greek system.

Sorry I must be in a mood today but I just had to give my spill.

(also and this is to anyone who is worried about who will give them a bid. . . the truth is there are "good" and "bad" chapters of EVERY national sorority but when I graduated I became a member of something bigger then just my chapter and I didnt know it until I got involved as an alumnae . . . I know it is hard to get as a 17-19 year old, but every organization is what you make out of it)
Old 01-30-2005, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

A.) Truthfully, I was cut from every single sorority. All 10. There were no "top houses" in my opinion, they were all great. I did not cut ANYONE.

B.) Extracurriculars? Hobbies? Hell, I'll email you my resume...I am most certainly not lacking in that department. Can you join a choir in the middle of the year? No.

C.) At LSU, all 10 chapters have this rule. Greek Affairs confirmed this, along with alums who personally called the chapters. I'm not exaggerating.

D.) I did not know that LSU rush was so difficult, I thought all schools were like this. Obviously I had not visited GC prior to rush.

If I missed something here and you want the answer, feel free to ask.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Great Resume means high gPA and alll kinds of activities I guess . . ..

Are you flaky? Like over sensitive, easily offended, high strung, and it shows in conversations? Are you less aesthetically pleasing to look at than the average mainstream ideal?

Are you medicated for depression anxiety disorders?

There are a lot of intangible reasons why you can get cut other than how you look on a piece of paper.

It would be like auditioning a potentianl boyfriend or girlsfriend . . . their resume looks awesome, but there was something about them you didn't like enough to want to date.

Maybe they were flighty, overly stressed, or not good enough looking.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: my opinion...

Quote:
Originally posted by BearyCuteAPhi
One can never know what to expect. All we can do is go through recruitment with an open mind and by being your true self. That way whatever happens you know you were yourself and if they did not offer you a bid, you probably didn't belong there anyway.

Ronnie
I'm really glad that you said that. I just went through rush because a lot of my "greek friends" told me that I should go through with it only to find out that I ended up bidless. I was sad; I cried my eyes out and questioned myself but I was like being rejected or turned down by someone isn't the end of life so I got up and moved on cuz life goes on. If they wanted to invite me back then they would but everything happens for a reason....
Old 01-30-2005, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

ending up where she was meant to be

This is just a thought that i had. Maybe LSUGRRL getting cut from every sorority was where she was meant to be in the sence that she could open a local and provide a new sorority for the women on the LSU campus. ????

I am just saying this cause if i were in her position that is what i would do. i don't really take "rejection" well and I would fight for what i wanted. If i had wanted to join a sorority and got cut from every single one and could not join a sorority. I would take the perverbial bull by the horns and start my own local sorority.

just my 2 cents.
debbie
Old 01-30-2005, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Re: ending up where she was meant to be

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaalpha
This is just a thought that i had. Maybe LSUGRRL getting cut from every sorority was where she was meant to be in the sence that she could open a local and provide a new sorority for the women on the LSU campus. ????

I am just saying this cause if i were in her position that is what i would do. i don't really take "rejection" well and I would fight for what i wanted. If i had wanted to join a sorority and got cut from every single one and could not join a sorority. I would take the perverbial bull by the horns and start my own local sorority.

just my 2 cents.
debbie
Exactly. This is what my friend is doing here at OC. She was cut from all the houses after novelty round, and she was pretty bummed. She ended up bidless. But after being upset for a while, she realized that it wasnt that they didn't like her, it's that she just didn't fit. So she's creating (refounding actually!) a new sorority, and she said to me the other day, "I'm so glad I didn't get a bid, refounding Arkady (rho kappa delta) is going to be my legacy."
Old 01-30-2005, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

To continue with the You'll end up where you were meant to be idea. I have to say that personally it is in my personallity that i want to be in charge and so staring a new sorority would be more fitting to my personallity. I have to say that i do not fit into a lot of places cause I already have lots of leadership and don't do well in an environment where I can't be in leadership.

I choose my group cause it was small and i could take a leadership position right away. Actually it was hard for me to wait until after my pledge period was over cause it ended up being like 9 weeks (long story as to why), but i was dying to actually get in charge of something. Maybe its just me, but if i got cut from every sorority and i knew that there were 100 women going bidless, i would walk right up to the greeklife office and talk to someone about starting a new local sorority. But maybe that is just me and my wacky personality.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LSUgrrl126
A.) Truthfully, I was cut from every single sorority. All 10. There were no "top houses" in my opinion, they were all great. I did not cut ANYONE.
Then why in your other thread did you say, "and I have it narrowed down to 4 out of 10 that I'd accept a bid from." Sorry. With an attitude like that, no sympathy here. Just like maybe you didn't get your chance to make your best impression on them, maybe those other 6 houses didn't get a chance to make the best impression or maybe you didn't give them a chance to.

Quote:
B.) Extracurriculars? Hobbies? Hell, I'll email you my resume...I am most certainly not lacking in that department. Can you join a choir in the middle of the year? No.
You've been in school since the beginning of the fall semester. What have you done with your life since there? Once you're in college, HS activities mean jack. You said in your other thread, "I've been looking for other student organizations, but nothing has really sparked my interest that I've seen."

And you said it's no fair, what if someone's the perfect girl and they get cut because they didn't know anyone? Doesn't seem like you've done anything to get to know anyone. If you had gotten to know some people. There are a ton of activities that you can join at anytime. Make yourself more well rounded. Try something new. Maybe you're not as perfect as you think.

[QUOTE] C.) At LSU, all 10 chapters have this rule. Greek Affairs confirmed this, along with alums who personally called the chapters. I'm not exaggerating. [/QUOTE}

Ummm... you had alumnae call the chapters personally? Did you not believe Greek Life on your own? Do you know how stalkerish that looks?

Quote:
D.) I did not know that LSU rush was so difficult, I thought all schools were like this. Obviously I had not visited GC prior to rush.
Obviously you didn't do your homework. Not even necessarily visiting GC, but talking to people who go to LSU or went there or making some effort to find out what's involved. That's no one's fault but your own.

Quote:
If I missed something here and you want the answer, feel free to ask.
Nope, thanks, i think I got most of the answers.

Last edited by kddani; 01-30-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
I did not mean to get on LSUgirl or anyones case . . I mean that must suck to get cut by every single sorority or greek organization . . (I still don't feel bad if you get "cut" by some "great 1st choice" sorority) but if that is the case at LSU - that they have 10 strong Sororities, that all make quota, and are all flawless then yippee for them that must be a strong panhellenic chapter too.

All of those sororities must really work together more then any other university in this country just to keep "undesirables" out. OF COURSE I AM BEING SARCASTIC. I am about to check out LSU's greek life to see if what she is talking about is true because all of that doesnt add up.

Panhellenically Yours
Connie
Old 01-30-2005, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems like if what you're saying is true, and there are 100+ girls getting cut, it's time to expand (not to start any rumors as I know nothing more than what I hear on these boards about LSU). Maybe what was "meant to be" is being a founding sister of a new group your junior/senior year after you've already done some things on campus. Just a thought.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Then why in your other thread did you say, "and I have it narrowed down to 4 out of 10 that I'd accept a bid from."
This is what I said AFTER rush was over. AFTER I had met the girls and given them all equal chances.

Quote:

Doesn't seem like you've done anything to get to know anyone.
If you had gotten to know some people.
What? You have NO IDEA how many new people I've met during one semester at LSU. Even though I've become good friends with many Greeks (and non-Greeks for that matter), it still doesn't change the rule that they can't reconsider me for membership.

Quote:

Maybe you're not as perfect as you think.
I never said I was perfect. I've never thought that I was perfect. Why do you assume these things?

Quote:

Ummm... you had alumnae call the chapters personally? Did you not believe Greek Life on your own? Do you know how stalkerish that looks?
For your information, I did NOT have any alumnae call the chapters personally. These alums voluntarily called the chapters themselves because they were going to write me recs. Then they suggested that I called Greek Affairs to see if every chapter has this policy.

Quote:
Obviously you didn't do your homework. Not even necessarily visiting GC, but talking to people who go to LSU or went there or making some effort to find out what's involved. That's no one's fault but your own.
I did do my homework. I was simply under the impression that LSU's rush was just as competitive as everyone else's. I made plenty of effort, even moreso than my friends. You have no right to tell me that I made no effort and automatically assume things about me that are not true. Maybe you should come to LSU, rush and see how many invitations you get with your attitude.

Connie: None of this is in writing on the Greek Affairs website. LSU's NPC Advisor told me this over the telephone. I asked her why it was not in writing on their website and she said that she didn't "really think it was necessary."

Last edited by LSUgrrl126; 01-30-2005 at 10:45 PM.