GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,174
2 members and 1,172 guests
Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 08-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

it doesn't always mean

that houses don't want you when pnm's are cut. it can mean that they had to cut a percentage of pnm's and you were someone who didn't have a rec. or who was not easily remembered. it can also be the result of a terrible mistake,i.e. my senior year i was a recruitment counselor. the daughter of a tri delta national officer ,who also had a sister in the tri delt chapter at fsu was going thru recruitment. she preffed tri delt and 2 others, but everyone knew she was going tri delt. well guess what? her name mistakenly was left off their(tri deltas) first bid list, and she was on the first bid list of her 2nd choice. boy! what a mess!! luckily, both groups did the above board thing and she was allowed to pledge tri delta. so you see, mistakes can happen!!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by coffeegirl13
As for the strong vs. weak... I really believe that a lot of girls are unhappy where they ended up because they are going off of hearsay from older guys/girls about a certain house and are not keeping an open mind... you know... "XYZ is supposed to really suck god I hope I don't get invited back there" or just talk after the parties "XXX's refreshments/skit/girls/outfits/house/etc/ was awesome!... Oh you didnt get asked back there... OHHHH.... well they were great." you would be dissapointed too If everyone was talking about their great experiences (and maybe a little jealous) I think this clouds the minds of many pnm's and then when they go back to houses that they WERE invited back to they sulk/pout/and generally just shut down.
You summed this one up very well. This is exactly what happens at my school and one of the reasons why I do not think deferred recruitment would work there. The stereotypes of each chapters become too well known, even though they are not true at all from what i have seen. I have heard bad enough things in front of the houses before parties- and these are things that the PNMs manage to find out BEFORE school even begins.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:35 PM

BUMP- this was a good topic.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess if it this holds true, then I'm right-I'm not good enough to be greek and I'm not meant to be. Therefore, I'm not in a sorority.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Not everyone is meant to be Greek... Get over your little pity-party and start living life. Find something else to occupy your time instead of posting lame posts.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nongreekloser
I guess if it this holds true, then I'm right-I'm not good enough to be greek and I'm not meant to be. Therefore, I'm not in a sorority.
So what if I say you're right? Happy now? That's what you've been waiting for someone to say. Thanks, glad I could help...I hope you feel important now.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Here in the middle of second semester recruitment, I want to bring this thread up again! Any more views?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
I rushed last year during Spring Formal. I got CUT. At first I was upset, but now that I think about it I really wouldn't have fit in at all with any of the NPC's on my campus. I saw a flyer for a multicultural that's being established, and I went to the info meeting. Long story short, I spent a whole semester being a interest and doing all the fundraisers, meetings...and I'm glad I did. Alpha Phi Omega's starting up here too, and I'm also interested in it as well.

I'm where I need to be because I wanted to be involved in Greek Life, but wasn't really satisfied with the little my school has to offer. So I decided to look for something else.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I dunno... I think that it's sad to say that girls are going to be disappointed because where they were "meant to be" is in a sorority that's about to fold. I was thrilled when I got a bid into Delta Gamma (I'm talking, jumping up and down hugging my friends) and made the absolute most of it. I got active on campus, used it as a stepping stone to get to know other people in greek life, and ended up on several different "important" committees and as a member of exec. And yet, our chapter closed. And at the end of it, as sad as I was, I could look back and be thrilled that I still know that I pledged the chapter where I was "meant to be." Oh, and I personally think I'm one of those cute, active, personable girls that make great PNM's and later sorority members. Sure, noone wants to get into a sorority just to have it fold on them, and I'm not saying that, but I also wasn't comfortable with the "big" sororities on campus, even though I ended up having a lot of friends with girls in them. We had a rho chi once that told girls to go where they could imagine late nights in pajamas talking. I feel like that's the best advice ever. Even though I have friends in other sororities, those are the friends that I go to meetings with and out to 5 points with. The fond memories that I have with DG are the "boys suck" cakes after a bad break-up and the delirious nights when we put kool-aid in the shower heads. And there are some of you who are sitting there thinking how stupid that is... and that's my point. I'm not 100% sure that I could have had that somewhere else. And nothing, not even a chapter closing, can take that away.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

At some schools, well at least at LSU, so many girls go through rush and end up without a home simply because they just fell through the cracks of the system. All of the chapters at LSU have rules stating that if they've cut you, they can never reconsider you for membership, guaranteeing that they'll never have a place on sorority row. Is this where these girls were meant to be?

I'm one of those girls. Many people told me that I'd end up where I was meant to be, so to me, it sounds like I was not destined to join a sorority. Just my $.02. I wish everyone would stop saying that...
Old 01-29-2005, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LSUgrrl126
At some schools, well at least at LSU, so many girls go through rush and end up without a home simply because they just fell through the cracks of the system. All of the chapters at LSU have rules stating that if they've cut you, they can never reconsider you for membership, guaranteeing that they'll never have a place on sorority row. Is this where these girls were meant to be?

I'm one of those girls. Many people told me that I'd end up where I was meant to be, so to me, it sounds like I was not destined to join a sorority. Just my $.02. I wish everyone would stop saying that...
i'm sure you're frustrated, but maybe you weren't meant to be in a sorority? it's not the end of the world, it's not going to totally utterly change your life forever. Find something else to do and enjoy it!
Old 01-29-2005, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
I hate to say it, but Greek Life isn't for everybody, and not everybody is for Greek Life. When a door closes, a window opens. Girls who get cut will hopefully redirect their energy into something else, and maybe one day look back and realize that everything did work out the way it did for a reason...
Old 01-29-2005, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
glo change every 5 years

I typed this whole long post saying what I believe about bids and making the best out of any rush situation but well, . . . nevermind. Life is too short be happy.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
i'm sure you're frustrated, but maybe you weren't meant to be in a sorority? it's not the end of the world, it's not going to totally utterly change your life forever. Find something else to do and enjoy it!
Well, I know I probably came across whiny, but the gist of my post was that 100+ girls were left bidless this year and their chances are blown if they ever wanted to rush again. Yes, some girls weren't meant to be in a sorority but surely some girls were the perfect candidates who slipped through the cracks because they didn't really know anyone in the chapters?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

LSUGRRL

This maybe the stupidest idea in the world, and i have read meny posts as to why it might not happen, but why don't you try to find some of those girls who are in your position and try forming a local sorority. Again, i have read many posts as to why it is hard to bring a NPC sorority onto a campus like LSU, but that does not mean that you can not start a local. And maybe in a few years if enough women join your sorority then maybe you could join a NPC. Its just a thought and its what i would do if i were in your shoes. I really think that cut once cut always policy is stupid especially if there is such a high number of PNM comming through rush and with what i have read how many and easily it is to fall through the cracks. i know it is lots of work, but i am sure that there would be many women who would

1) help you out on here (GC) with advise, and
2) there would be alum who could help you. I mean out of those 100 plus girls there has to be some who have relatives who were in sororities that can offer advise and assistance as advisors in some capasidy (SP) or another.

Anyway, i can understand how disappointed you can be. I had to transfer to another school because i was so disappointed, not cause of greek life but cause of other stuff, in the university. I think that the best way to handle the situation is take an action and if it were me i would try to start a local. i bet that there are lots of women who would want to be part of a sorority, espcially with the cut once, cut always policy.

Good luck, with whatever you choose.

debbie