GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195

Old 02-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post UC Berkeley NPC Expansion

So, I was looking for something on the CAL greek site and saw this:

Quote:
UC Berkeley Announces NPC Extension
Posted by Tiffany in News on 12 10th, 2010 | no responses
The University of California, Berkeley Panhellenic Council is excited to announce it will be opening for extension to add a National Panhellenic Conference chapter to the community. Read the extension bulletin here: NPC Extension Bulletin
http://www.calgreeks.com/2010/12/uc-...npc-extension/
The bulletin won't open so I can't post more info.

If anyone has anymore info, feel free to post it here.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 02-19-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, Calif.

The NPC Extension Committee has received minutes evidencing the Panhellenic Council’s vote to open for extension. There are currently twelve (12) NPC groups on campus: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, and Sigma Kappa. The chapters range in size from 115 to 141. Chapter Total is 127. There are thirty-five (35) chapters in the Interfraternity Council, five (5) chapters in the National Pan-Hellenic Council, and twelve (12) chapters in the Multi-Cultural Greek Council.

All NPC chapters are housed, and chapter houses are owned by their local house corporations and employ full-time and part-time staff as house directors, cooking and cleaning staff, and/or maintenance. Other amenities include, but are not limited to, bedding, living space, study lounges, meeting and ritual rooms, and recreational areas. All chapter houses are located off campus and house capacity between 48 and 71 members.

Located in Berkeley, California, the University of California, Berkeley is a public institution which enrolls 25,540 undergraduate students, 52.9% of which are female. The University of California, Berkeley offers baccalaureate degrees in the traditional liberal arts and sciences, interdisciplinary studies, and professional schools, along with Master’s degrees in several specialized areas. For more information see the University’s website: www.berkeley.edu.

Panhellenic Council at UC Berkeley has not extended since 1948, and we are excited to announce the opportunity to welcome a new NPC organization to our CalGreeks community, a rich tradition at UC Berkeley that has been in existence for over 140 years.

Applications for the possibility of colonization will be released in January 2011. The Extension Committee will be sending detailed packets of information to the NPC member groups who are not currently on campus.

Questions can be directed to: Maria S. Iglesia, M.Ed.
Program Coordinator, Fraternity and Sorority Life

(personal contact info redacted)
Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

My mom was a Zeta at Cal in the fifties. At that time, there were over 10 NPC chapters. Alpha Gam, Delta Zeta, Alpha Xi Delta, Kappa Delta and Phi Mu are among the NPC's that were once at Cal. I wonder if any of those chapters would consider re-colonizing?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Correction- I meant to say that there were more than 20 NPC chapters at Cal!
Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently a student at Berkeley, and being in a position where I've had to work closely with the Greek Life Office, this is something I'm aware of.

It'll be exciting to see such a significant change in the system. It's been almost a decade since the PHC community has last changed, and another sorority will introduce a lot of the much-needed diversity.

I hope I'm not saying too much, but I personally have a strong feeling that AGD may recolonize because their housing corp still owns the house, there's an alumni organization around, and last I knew, a regional chapter that was renting the house recently decided to shut down its operations.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post
I'm currently a student at Berkeley, and being in a position where I've had to work closely with the Greek Life Office, this is something I'm aware of.

It'll be exciting to see such a significant change in the system. It's been almost a decade since the PHC community has last changed, and another sorority will introduce a lot of the much-needed diversity.

I hope I'm not saying too much, but I personally have a strong feeling that AGD may recolonize because their housing corp still owns the house, there's an alumni organization around, and last I knew, a regional chapter that was renting the house recently decided to shut down its operations.
Having our Omicron Chapter come home to Berkeley would be such a blessing.

My Chapter Advisor from my collegiate days is a member of Omicron and I remember the day she let us know that her chapter closed. It was obviously very tough for her.

The evolution of the Omicron house can be found here: http://www.alphagammadeltahouses.com...-berkeley.html
Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, AGD has chapters at SF State, and Sonoma State.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This is wishful thinking... but I would LOVE for AST to colonize there. We only have one other chapter in California. I don't think it's very likely though...
Old 02-20-2011, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't even imagine how much it would cost to build a house there. Our house is on such prime real estate with a beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge, that I cannot imagine what the cost of that land would be in today's dollars. I haven't been out to see our house, but it's definitely on my list.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow -- I had no idea that was the AGD house. I wonder where alpha Kappa Delta Phi would move if AGD came back.

The sorority houses are Berkeley are beautiful, old and large. I have no idea where a new one would go -- you'd have to buy an apartment complex or co-op or something. Or, maybe other groups still own their houses too. For example, until I googled it just now, I never knew the Tau house was called the Tau house of AEPhi. I wonder if they still own that...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think that AGD would have a great opportunity to come back, since they still own their house. As for aKDPhi, I didn't think they were still on campus? They're not listed as recognized by the school anymore.

Less than 5 years ago, there were still rooming houses. They might be an option for a sorority ultimately to purchase and renovate. I doubt the BSC would be willing to sell any of their houses at this point.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingyang View Post
I would think that AGD would have a great opportunity to come back, since they still own their house. As for aKDPhi, I didn't think they were still on campus? They're not listed as recognized by the school anymore.

Less than 5 years ago, there were still rooming houses. They might be an option for a sorority ultimately to purchase and renovate. I doubt the BSC would be willing to sell any of their houses at this point.
Off-topic...

Sucks for aKDPhi considering Berkeley is their Alpha Chapter. Did they completely dissolve the chapter or are they just not recognized by the school?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

FYI, alpha Kappa Delta Phi is a national sorority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, Calif.

The NPC Extension Committee has received minutes evidencing the Panhellenic Council’s vote to open for extension. There are currently twelve (12) NPC groups on campus: Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Phi, Chi Omega, Delta Delta Delta, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi, and Sigma Kappa. The chapters range in size from 115 to 141. Chapter Total is 127. There are thirty-five (35) chapters in the Interfraternity Council, five (5) chapters in the National Pan-Hellenic Council, and twelve (12) chapters in the Multi-Cultural Greek Council.

All NPC chapters are housed, and chapter houses are owned by their local house corporations and employ full-time and part-time staff as house directors, cooking and cleaning staff, and/or maintenance. Other amenities include, but are not limited to, bedding, living space, study lounges, meeting and ritual rooms, and recreational areas. All chapter houses are located off campus and house capacity between 48 and 71 members.

Located in Berkeley, California, the University of California, Berkeley is a public institution which enrolls 25,540 undergraduate students, 52.9% of which are female. The University of California, Berkeley offers baccalaureate degrees in the traditional liberal arts and sciences, interdisciplinary studies, and professional schools, along with Master’s degrees in several specialized areas. For more information see the University’s website: www.berkeley.edu.

Panhellenic Council at UC Berkeley has not extended since 1948, and we are excited to announce the opportunity to welcome a new NPC organization to our CalGreeks community, a rich tradition at UC Berkeley that has been in existence for over 140 years.

Applications for the possibility of colonization will be released in January 2011. The Extension Committee will be sending detailed packets of information to the NPC member groups who are not currently on campus.

Questions can be directed to: Maria S. Iglesia, M.Ed.
Program Coordinator, Fraternity and Sorority Life

(personal contact info redacted)
Thanks Sen!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, building a house in Berkeley is ridiculously expensive. My chapter is in the process of acquiring a permanent house, and it's been extremely difficult. The average 15-room house would cost ~$3mil, if there is one for sale. As for land: it certainly does not exist, but there are several (expensive) buildings that are not up to code that you can demolish: getting a permit to actually rebuild is a nightmare though.

As for aKDPhi: in the past, the Berkeley chapter was not listed as active on their national website. However, it appears that they've come back.

Berkeley's rent control laws are strict, so a housing corp can't just kick everyone out of the house and then rent it out to actives. There are ways around that (eg. remodeling), but that is a multi-year process.

It's because of things like that why I wasn't sure if I said too much. In either case, I'm excited.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

For everyone's convenience (from Irishpipes' thread):

University of California Berkeley, CA: August 27 - September 2, 2010
Quota=39
Campus Total=127
Quota last year=28
Kappa Kappa Gamma Pi 1880-1885/1897
Kappa Alpha Theta Omega 1890
Gamma Phi Beta Eta 1896 (45)
Delta Delta Delta Pi 1900
Pi Beta Phi California Beta 1900
Alpha Phi Lambda 1901 (40)
Chi Omega Mu 1902
Alpha Omicron Pi Sigma 1907 (40)
Delta Gamma Gamma 1907 (39)
Alpha Xi Delta Omicron 1909-1969
Alpha Chi Omega Pi 1909
Sigma Kappa Lambda 1910
Alpha Delta Pi Psi 1913 (39)
Theta Upsilon Alpha (Founding chapter) 1914-1961
Zeta Tau Alpha Upsilon 1914-1969
Alpha Gamma Delta Omicron 1915-?
Delta Zeta Mu 1915-1969
Phi Mu Eta Alpha 1916-1971/1980-1990
Kappa Delta Phi 1917-1969

Phi Omega Pi California Alpha 1919-?
Beta Phi Alpha Alpha (founding chapter) 1919-1941 National absorbed by Delta Zeta 1941

Alpha Epsilon Phi Tau 1923-?
Alpha Delta Theta Iota 1924-1934 national merger with Phi Mu
Phi Sigma Sigma Mu 1926-1966
Delta Phi Epsilon Delta Zeta 1948-1969

Quote:
What was the change approx. ten years ago? I started advising in 2000, but stopped when I moved to LA around 2006. Maybe something changed right before I came to Cal or maybe I forgot something