GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,273
0 members and 1,273 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quick Question

Situation:
I have been looking to pledge and I looked at two fraternities. My fallback fraternity invited me to a social thing tonight via email and used the phrasing the brothers and ABC (random fraternity symbols) "have met you and deemed you a man of good character." So, I assume I got the bid for it.
My top choice fraternity invited me to a brunch last Sunday where they told everyone that bids would be given out on Wednesday. As I left, the president said either, "We hope to see you on Wednesday" or "We will see you on Wednesday." Alluding to the fact that they want me in and the decision has already been made because I have met the majority of the members and we are on a first name basis. I don't know which one because I was hungover as fuck.

Question(s):
Would it be rude to email the Rush Chairman of my top choice fraternity and ask it I got a bid?
What would you guys do?
I don't want to be a nuisance, or come off as rude or anything. I am also asking this because I don't want to go to my second choice fraternity gathering tonight and then get the text/email/whatever to come to my top choice frat's house to pick up the bid and then tell my second choice one that I'm dropping them for another.

Last edited by woolworm; 02-12-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Do not call the first fraternity. Wait until Wednesday.

You can go to the 2nd fraternity's event. IF you are offered a bid to them at their event tonight, tell them that you appreciate it but you do want to think about it because it is a serious commitment.

And, not to sound like a jerk, but do not "assume" you got a bid to the 2nd fraternity or think that just because you already know and are "on a first name basis" with the majority of members of the top choice group that they offered you a bid. You would be surprised at how contentious bid sessions can get in a fraternity and anything can happen. Seen it on GC and seen it in real life.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Alright, thank you very much for the quick response and course of action.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sure this has more or less resolved itself by now, but just like in a job search, always charge forward as though there is no other job offer on the table if there isn't. Trust me, I've had interviews that were practically job TRAINING, only to not get the job. But in either case (rush or career) you should be allowed some time to consider your options before accepting. Good luck however it works out.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Got a bid from both. Decision time.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolworm View Post
Got a bid from both. Decision time.
Congratulations! Now the decision is up to you!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Word of advice (although this might apply more to the girls): you will not have made the wrong choice. Once you decide, move forward and don't spend time worrying that you made the wrong choice or drop out because the guys aren't whatever fantasy you have of what fraternity guys are supposed to be. Also, don't forget that your membership is for a lifetime. Don't forget your commitments the day you graduate! Good luck and have fun.