GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,369
2 members and 2,367 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Rush

I am going to rush spring semester at auburn, and I was just wondering how it works in the spring. I cannot seem to find anything on the ifc website at auburn. Do I need to get in touch with the fraternity now? Is there formal rush? Are there parties for rushees? The fraternity that I plan to rush does accept spring pledges.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I know there was a post on this last year, but the question was never completely answered. Any help?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

When I read your posts I thought maybe you had not done your homework- but you are right. I just checked the Auburn IFC site and I do not see any info about rush dates or spring recruitment.

I did not attend Auburn, but I am from a Southern School with a similar Greek system and made a few road trips to Auburn in my day.

Based on that I feel comfortable telling you that spring rush might well be a bit trickier there than at less competitive campuses. Many fraternities will take spring classes, but generally at the better houses those classes are populated by guys that are known to the chapter before rush begins.

You are looking at rushing a fraternity at a school where a huge percentage of rush candidates go into their freshman fall semester as legacies and/or with plans to go Greek and who were identified as rush candidates during high school. Does not mean you are out of the running, but it is good to keep this in mind. There is always room in a Greek system for a good rush candidate who was not planning to go Greek before college started- but do know that because of how schools like Auburn work you are best served by getting introduced in advance of spring rush by people already in the Greek system.

If there are any young women in sororities in your classes or social circle that you know well and consider friends, your best bet is to let them know you are interested in joining a fraternity. Same goes for any guys you know who are currently actives or pledges in a fraternity.

Football season is not over and the winter formals are still weeks away. The most solid spring rush candidates at schools like Auburn are going to be invited to post-game parties and formals so they can be evaluated well in advance of formal spring rush.

So now is the time to ask people who already know you if they can steer you in a good direction.

That said, if you go into spring rush blind with no previous contacts- you may still get a bid. In fact, you will more likely than not get a bid somewhere since there are lots of fraternities. At the lower social eschelons, fraternities will bid anybody. Now, if you happen to like a given house low in the social pecking order- then this is no big deal, you go for it and have a blast. 10 years after you graduate college you will look back and realize that social pecking order did not matter as much as being in a place you wanted to be.

But if you want to have choices and the best possible choices- now is the time to act.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a freshman at UGA and didn't rush this fall and I really regret it. Is it possible to rush in the spring or next fall?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabethr View Post
I am a freshman at UGA and didn't rush this fall and I really regret it. Is it possible to rush in the spring or next fall?
Yes. However, not all chapters may be e taking a spring pledge class. Call the Georgia Office of Greek Life at 706.542.4612 for specific details. You may want to check the websites for each Georgia fraternity chapter regarding information about Spring Rush.

Also, please read EE-BO's post. It is applicable to Spring Rush at Georgia as well.