GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau

Old 04-26-2000, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Post Planning for the future..

I thought I'd start a positive discussion topic...

If you could do anything for your fraternity or sorority, what would it be? Could you accomplish this during your college years or as an alumnus/alumna?

Old 04-27-2000, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

Barb-
I had to think for awhile on this one

My answer to the 1st part of the question is: re-initiate lost chapters and see more chapters colonized. Here's some background info...

My GLO grew quickly after it was founded, and was spread out across the U.S. quickly. We went co-ed in about '75 (I think this was when or about when most PFA GLO's went co-ed?) About this time, we lost quite a few chapters. Some of them, the schools themselves closed. Others were/are all-girls universities, so that hurt as as well. And there were a few than eliminated Greek life. And I'm sure there were numerous other reasons. Thankfully, the alumni chapters stayed pretty strong, and the collegiate chapters that exist are operating in full-swing.

After I pledged, I did some research (Baird's has so much cool stuff!) and saw just how many chapters were lost. So I started contacting the Greek Advisor's and/or Student Activities coordinator's at all of these schools that are still around to see if they had any records of the chapters that they could indulge me. Out of maybe 28 schools, only 1 of them had any records, and he was kind enough to put me in contact with the founder of that chapter! (She and I have exchanged several letters since).

So then I realized that eventually the alumni numbers would dwindle as well, and our awesome organization could eventually fade out. Which i definately don't want!

So to answer the 2cnd question: BOTH...

When I was a junior in school I started my chapter's website as a way to put us out into the world; let people know we are around and give them a way to contact us. Less than a year later, our nationals had an official site up and running. Since then, we've had several inquiries from students who are interested in colonization.

Now that I am an alumnae, I still maintain the site. So I get to stay in contact with a lot of students who find us that way. But I also get to be involved in a lot more national stuff, part of which is making each other aware of the potential for growth. Just putting each other in that mindset helps a lot. And I offered my assistance to our National Council in any way they could use help.

So, that's the 1 thing I really want to see happen w/ my GLO. And what's really exciting is that I'm seeing some of it happen right now.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 04-28-2000, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I had to think about this one a while too. What wouldn't I do might be a better question! What I'd like to do is ensure that our tradition endures and grows, ie. I would (a) like to ensure that already established chapters (three, as of April 1st!) grow strong, and (b) like to help in founding new chapters.

Given how young my sorority is, both nationally and at the chapter level, I think I could accomplish things at any level of membership. I actually have, I guess, been doing these things already, by staying involved with my chapter, and being a big sis to a sister at the recently founded chapter.
Old 04-28-2000, 05:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hi equeen,

what sorority are you a member of?

Asia
Old 04-28-2000, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Hiya Asia,

I am proud to be an Alumnae of the Beta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies. What about you?
Old 04-29-2000, 09:04 AM
dirtyharry

Angry

I'd like to think that I accomplished a great deal during my time as a UG. I made and initiated 6 men, we won chapter of the year and performed a variety community service projects. Hell we even helped open a store in economically developing neighborhood. I was chapter Brother of the Year. Our chapter had the highest GPA of any frat on campus. Plus I have 6 or 7 shows under my belt. Basically we ran the yard on all levels. All of that carried over to the alumni chapter I joined where I chaired another community service program.

It is possible to accomplish everything if you and the members in your chapter have goals and are willing to take the initiative to excel. You are only as strong as the members in your chapter.
Old 05-13-2000, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite dream is to reclaim all the inactives and to be able to get mobilized as we were in the 6o's and 70's. There is so much that could be accomplished by a unified group!
Old 05-13-2000, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by equeen:
Hiya Asia,

I am proud to be an Alumnae of the Beta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies. What about you?
Hi, I am not greek yet. I am working VERY hard with my organization to bring a chapter of an Asian American sorority to my seriously lacking campus!

Old 05-18-2000, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Awesome! Best of luck to you. What campus are you at?

Quote:
Originally posted by Asia2000:
Hi, I am not greek yet. I am working VERY hard with my organization to bring a chapter of an Asian American sorority to my seriously lacking campus!