GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,500
1 members and 1,499 guests
naraht

Old 09-30-2015, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

When a legacy gets cut, does Mom get a call from her sorority?

Do ya'll know if sororities still call Mom if her daughter/legacy is cut? And do sororities still try to make that cut after the first round?
Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe it depends on the chapter. That is definitely one courtesy that I strongly feel should be observed.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I do no think that is the norm.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

It depends on the sorority, the chapter, and the strength of the legacy. If every legacy was given a pass to second round, there could be entire new member classes of only legacies. It's good to get some new blood in the chapters.

The strength of the legacy can be determined in several ways, such as how active the elder member has been over the years, did she hold offices, does she belong to alumnae associations, was she a member of that particular chapter, was she a legacy herself - just some examples.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Contacting the legacy's relative is standard practice for the majority of Chi Omega chapters.
Having said that-- this year, there was a PNM who's mother was an alumna (& current members remember meeting them during the Open House in the Spring on Bruin Day).
But NO legacy status was indicated on her UCLA Recruitment profile, NO RIF was received and we had NO contact info on the mother. (SparkleBerry -- if this was you, we apologize.)

Last edited by ChioLu; 09-30-2015 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefan View Post
I believe it depends on the chapter. That is definitely one courtesy that I strongly feel should be observed.
The other side of the coin is that some groups believe the woman is a young adult, and so calling someone else to tell them about her recruitment is an invasion of her privacy.

One stance or the other is not right or wrong, just saying why different groups may do different things.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that calling is the sisterly thing to do. Unfortunately, it's not always possible at some chapters when they have large numbers of legacies going thru. But I do think they should and our sponsor form (rec) has a place to note that you want to be called if you are the legacy connection. We should honor that request...but then again, I'm southern and that's just the proper thing to do.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with you Titchou.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter advisors run into more problems than you would think by not having alumnae phone numbers. They do make the attempt.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The other side of the coin is that some groups believe the woman is a young adult, and so calling someone else to tell them about her recruitment is an invasion of her privacy.

I think this is our policy/reasoning, but, I am in favor of calling the legacy connection, if possible.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I did not get a call when my younger daughter was cut. But, my older daughter had joined Tridelt, so I'm sure they felt that they needed to focus on PNMs who were more likely to join. As it was, my younger also pledged Tridelt.

I never felt insulted. It was what it was.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 PM

A legacy may only be released from a chapter’s membership invitation list with due justification and prior approval of both the chapter’s College Chapter Director and the Regional Collegiate Director.

I believe it is the CCD or the RCD who calls the legacy's family, and I can only imagine what that must be like in a big, southern school where the number of legacies is actually higher than quota!

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 10-03-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillarneyRose View Post

I believe it is the CCD or the RCD who calls the legacy's family.
Similar here. If you get cut, the call is likely coming from someone in our Chapter Services department.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
With Sigma Kappa, the call should be made from the local recruitment supervisor.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 09-30-2015, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

One stance or the other is not right or wrong, just saying why different groups may do different things.
And we know there are PNM's who tell mom they were released rather than tell mom they didn't want to join her chapter.