GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,306
2 members and 1,304 guests
indygphib

Old 12-15-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Some honesty, thank God, in SAE and Chi Psi magazines

Saw the new SAE magazine today, and I salute them for honestly listing problems that exist. Their "state of the Chapters" section lists "disciplinary status" for each chapter, and a bunch of them are "suspended", on "fraternity or univ. probation", under an "alumni commission", closed, or dormant.

SAE's letters section even contains a letter from an alumnus, asking that a great chapter now in rough times not be "recolonized", since it could never return to it's former greatness.

Chi Psi's new magazine devotes a full page to Gordie Bailey, the Colorado pledge who drank himself to death Sept. 16, although the page is nearly hidden in the back pages. Chi Psi should have been more specific about how the death occurred, saying the chapter violated risk management policies related to alcohol. Every Chi Psi chapter has received a visit from an alumnus leader since Sept. to conduct an educational program reviewing the CO incident.

Other interesting SAE news: their foundation donated $100,000 to the National WWII memorial; risk management fee revenues ($1.3 mil) equalled SAE's income from dues and initiation fees; risk management expenses were $1.1 mil.

Congratultions to these two GLOs for publicly presenting and discussing problems - even a death. I wish more GLOs sought improvement by finding problems, airing them out, and changing.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2004, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Encouraging that these two GLO's are publicly showing the problem.

I still don't think it will help...there is still way too much "it can't happen to me/us" mentality out there. I still think that is part of the root of the problem. Young and indestructable, that is the mindset, and until it DOES happen to them, the blind eyes prevail.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

Re: Some honesty, thank God, in SAE and Chi Psi magazines

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
risk management fee revenues ($1.3 mil) equalled SAE's income from dues and initiation fees; risk management expenses were $1.1 mil.
I don't understand this hoosier. Can you explain?

What are risk management fee revenues?

-Rudey
Old 12-15-2004, 03:43 PM

Maybe it's different for guys, but I don't think that is a good idea. These are not private documents, they're open to anyone who wants to read them. If I'm not mistaken, most NPC HQs receive the publications of all the other NPCs. A sorority chapter could be technically on "probation" for things like being a half point under their GPA or not achieving quota.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for discussing tough issues and ways to resolve them, but I think something like this just ticks people off. If it's a private publication, however, that's another story - I want to know who did what to whom, when, and how.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-15-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Rudey--

I would assume that each chapter is billed their insurance $$ for the year, for risk management, which would be their revenues (what they collected). The expenses, I would assume are what they had to pay out due to violations. I could be wrong...just a thought.

All of the NIC and NPC publications go to the other organizations. As Editor of my sorority's magazine, I get a copy of most of the magazines. I don't think it's a bad idea that the men are stepping up to the plate and showing their alumni and collegiates what is the "state" of their fraternity. NPCs do their state of the sorority in a positive light, by giving kudos to the chapters with highest GPAs or making quota during recruitment or being at total. I don't think the NPC groups EVER really publish anything that goes on in terms of risk management in their magazines. I applaud SAE and Chi Psi for doing as such.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat
Rudey--

I would assume that each chapter is billed their insurance $$ for the year, for risk management, which would be their revenues (what they collected). The expenses, I would assume are what they had to pay out due to violations. I could be wrong...just a thought.

All of the NIC and NPC publications go to the other organizations. As Editor of my sorority's magazine, I get a copy of most of the magazines. I don't think it's a bad idea that the men are stepping up to the plate and showing their alumni and collegiates what is the "state" of their fraternity. NPCs do their state of the sorority in a positive light, by giving kudos to the chapters with highest GPAs or making quota during recruitment or being at total. I don't think the NPC groups EVER really publish anything that goes on in terms of risk management in their magazines. I applaud SAE and Chi Psi for doing as such.
Well usually there is revenue from dues and initiation fees. Then there are expenses like risk management. I am thinking there were $1.3MM in dues collected and $1.1MM of that went to risk management. Is that the case?

And risk management is a pretty broad topic. Does installing sprinklers in a house fall under risk management?

-Rudey