GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,275
2 members and 2,273 guests
flirt5721

Old 12-15-2009, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you bring outside meals into the movie theater?

I was talking about this in one of the random threads a few weeks ago, and a few people made comments which turned into a small discussion. I personally find it to be kind of tacky. I mean, candy is o.k. but I'm talking about actual meals like McDonalds, Burger King etc. One of the movie theaters that I go to has a bar, so you can actually bring alcohol into the theater. So, I could see if there was a McDonalds or Burger King inside the building for the same kind of thing. I understand some of the movie beverages and snacks can be expensive to some, but bringing in actual meals inside when the theater clearly objects to it doesn't make sense. Plus, the sound of fast food bags can be pretty annoying. I dunno, it's just that I think it's low-class, and inconsiderate to people who want to watch the movie without having to hear loud fast food bags.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 12-15-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't go to the movies that often, but I have brought my own candy. I usually buy a kids size popcorn and drink combo, but the candy I like they either don't sell or it is HUGE. I can buy a package of eight fun size candy bars for a dollar at Rite-Aid and take two with complete satisfaction for tenty five cents.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I brought a chicken sandwich from wendy's in once, but that's only bc I had JUST bought it and didn't have time to eat it outside before the movie started. I just put it in my pocket, I didn't bring annoying food bags in
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll own up - yeah, I do it. I'll pop my own popcorn at home and bring in a bottle of water. Seriously, a medium popcorn and a soda at the movie theater costs more then a ticket, and those are over 10 dollars!

We used to do Jewish Christmas in high school, and we would get chinese food to bring into the theater... tacky, I know, but most 16 year olds don't care. And on Christmas day we were never the only ones doing it, lol!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I would never bring a meal in but I usually buy my own candy and bring it in my purse.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Bottle of water, yes. Meal, no. I can last 2 hours without eating.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I don't go to the movies that often, but I have brought my own candy. I usually buy a kids size popcorn and drink combo, but the candy I like they either don't sell or it is HUGE. I can buy a package of eight fun size candy bars for a dollar at Rite-Aid and take two with complete satisfaction for tenty five cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceniczip View Post
I would never bring a meal in but I usually buy my own candy and bring it in my purse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Bottle of water, yes. Meal, no. I can last 2 hours without eating.
I don't eat a lot of candy, if any at all. I just like the popcorn. But I don't see anything wrong with bringing in your own candy. I mean, movie candy is over $3.00. I've seen the same large size of candy at Meijer for less than a dollar.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I could never imagine bringing in a meal, but I am definitely one to stop at a store like CVS or Wawa to buy some candy and a soda. (Now that I think of it, next time I go for a long movie, I might just have to smuggle in a Wawa Shorty!)
Old 12-15-2009, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I've done it and have no problem with it. When I was little, my mom would bring us to the movies or ball games and would pack the picnic basket full of hotdogs, burgers, chips, etc.
Now, I just carry it in my purse, which if I'm going to the movies, I carry one of my big purses. Now, I don't make a bunch of noise when opening up my food, but I also notice that I'm not the only one that does this.
I don't do a lotta candy and if I want the popcorn, I'll usually pony up for that. But if I just stopped and bought a meal somewhere, I'll throw it in the purse and away I'll go.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

If I want to eat during the movie, then go to theaters that serve food like Studio Movie Grille or Alamo Drafthouse.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlovemyAKA View Post
If I want to eat during the movie, then go to theaters that serve food like Studio Movie Grille or Alamo Drafthouse.
Or Chunky's! http://www.chunkys.com/

I love movie theaters where you can actually order a meal while you watch. At a normal theater, I usually won't bring in outside food. I brought in candy a few times when I was much younger, but I tend to prefer popcorn during my movies. However, I always make sure I have someone who will split it with me Let's face it, it gets expensive.

(But that's why I usually wait for movies to come out at the dollar theater )

@~/~~~~
Old 12-15-2009, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I am notorious for bringing my oversize purse and stuffing as much candy as I can into it. Shoot the candy at the theaters are around $4, and I can get the same ones at the dollar store, so why not?

When I was younger, we used to take our own sodas in too. My family was too cheap (lol) to buy the twist tops, so we had to try and find a way to make the pop top sound not as long. lol.

To me I rather just splurge on the soda, and bring in my own pickles, candies etc. Meals can wait, however. I am not aware of a time we ever brought in food. If I was hungry I ate prior, or I just sucked it up and waited til the end.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I love movie theaters where you can actually order a meal while you watch. At a normal theater, I usually won't bring in outside food. I brought in candy a few times when I was much younger, but I tend to prefer popcorn during my movies. However, I always make sure I have someone who will split it with me Let's face it, it gets expensive.

(But that's why I usually wait for movies to come out at the dollar theater )
I am completely jealous! I have never experienced either of these phenomena. What heaven do you live in?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanMami0286 View Post
I am completely jealous! I have never experienced either of these phenomena. What heaven do you live in?
New England holds three Chunky's theaters. And the dollar theater (although I think it might have gone up 50 cents) is in Erie, PA.

Chunky's is awesome. Just as long as you don't go to a kid's movie... because they tend to run around everywhere. But the theaters have these huge seats, which are taken out of cars, and long tables that you can eat on. The servers have electronic hand-helds where they enter your order. And although I've never thought to order any, I believe they do serve beer.

It's wonderful

ETA: And the menu is hilarious... one of the appetizers: "Mr. Potato Skins".. Their New England claim chowder is called "The Perfect Storm" .. There's the "Kevin Bacon Burger"... The "Love Me Tenders"...

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 12-15-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If I want to eat a meal during my movie, I'll get a DVD.

It's their theatre, their rules. No outside food is hardly unreasonable.