GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,401
2 members and 1,399 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
ADPi used to have a chapter at LSU - Omega Chapter, in fact. I have no idea when it folded, but if it was recently, that's another reason they could be holding off.
From the files of IrishPipes:

Quote:
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA
August 11-19, 2012
Quota=
Campus Total=
Quota last year=84
Registered PNMs=
**Open for expansion**
Kappa Delta - Epsilon 1909 -
Alpha Delta Pi - Omega 1914-1985
Delta Zeta - Sigma 1917 -
Sigma Delta Tau - Zeta 1924-1969
Chi Omega - Phi Gamma 1924 -
Alpha Chi Omega - Beta Gamma 1926-1970
Phi Sigma Sigma - Omicron 1927-1933
Beta Sigma Omicron 1929-1964 National absorbed by ZTA, LSU chapter released to Alpha Phi

Delta Delta Delta - Delta Omega 1934 -
Phi Mu - Alpha Eta 1934 -
Kappa Kappa Gamma - Delta Iota 1935 -
Pi Beta Phi - Louisiana Beta 1936 -
Alpha Epsilon Phi - Alpha Theta 1938-1984
Alpha Xi Delta - Beta Iota 1938-1988
Alpha Omicron Pi - Alpha Omicron 1938-1980
Delta Gamma - Gamma Zeta 1948 -
Zeta Tau Alpha - Delta Kappa 1959 -
Kappa Alpha Theta - Delta Kappa 1963 -
Gamma Phi Beta - Gamma Lambda 1964-1977
Alpha Phi - Delta Tau 1965-1980
Alpha Gamma Delta - Theta Alpha 1979-1985
Sigma Kappa - Zeta Omega 1984-1993
Is 25 years considered "recent"?

I recall reading somewhere that a representative from my sorority observed LSU rush last Fall. Normally I get excited when a campus opens up and I cross my fingers that AGD throws her hat into the ring. This time, however, and this is just my opinion, I'm really glad that we're not considering LSU at this time.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
It's hard to believe that an NPC expansion team could flub things that badly, but I guess it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
This situation just happened this year, and the only presenter was not asked to colonize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDPhiE View Post
I think it could be a matter of what the school is looking for at that particular time. If a group isn't on the same page as the school or vice-versa it's not going to work from the beginning of that relationship.
The story about expansion at Carnegie Mellon is probably the best example of a group looking great on paper but not being "on the same page" as the interest group. I'm sure this can also happen with a ground up colonization. I don't think it's a matter of "flubbing", rather, the school wanted a hamburger and the sorority brought egg rolls. (Both are still yummy.)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
These are my guesses as to why some NPC's did not pursue LSU. Like I said, these are just guesses. There could be many other contributing factors such as housing requirements, expenses, etc.

Alpha Delta Pi - has 4 (re)colonizations for the fall 2012 semester (University of Central Oklahoma, Christopher Newport University, Santa Clara University and Mississippi State University).

Alpha Chi Omega - has 2 re(colonizations) for the fall 2012 semester (University of Arkansas and University of North Carolina-Wilmington).

Alpha Xi Delta - has 1 recolonization at the University of Maryland.

Alpha Omicron Pi - has 6 (re)colonizations for the fall 2012 semester (Monmouth University, Texas Christian University, University of Washington, University of Arkansas-Fort Smith, Purdue University and Sonoma State University).

Gamma Phi Beta - has 4 (re)colonizations for the fall 2012 semester (University of Connecticut, University of South Florida, Texas State University and Rockhurst University).

Alpha Gamma Delta - has 3 (re)colonizations for the fall 2012 semester (Villanova University, San Diego State University and University of South Carolina).

Sigma Kappa - has 1 recolonization at the University of Missouri.

**Alpha Phi has 1 colonization for the fall of 2012 semester at Carnegie Mellon University**
- We presented at Swarthmore College and are scheduled to present at LSU in June.
SK also just recolonized ASU and had several colonizations in the last two years. I believe we normally keep a team on campus with the new chapter for an entire year. So, that drains resources too. Although, I'm sure those reasons were the icing on the cake and not the core reasons for us not to pursue LSU.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Banned

1970 Alpha Chi Omega
1980 Alpha Omicron Pi
1980 Alpha Phi
1984 Alpha Epsilon Phi
1985 Alpha Delta Pi
1985 Alpha Gamma Delta
1988 Alpha Xi Delta

Good God. People aren't kidding when they talk about the Curse of the Alphas there. Six of those were in an eight year period too.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The story about expansion at Carnegie Mellon is probably the best example of a group looking great on paper but not being "on the same page" as the interest group. I'm sure this can also happen with a ground up colonization. I don't think it's a matter of "flubbing", rather, the school wanted a hamburger and the sorority brought egg rolls. (Both are still yummy.)
Ah, yes, and then I guess the decision may be a bit closer to mutual.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

LSU is possibly an example of a campus that's ready to move into the next phase of sorority existence - girls being more open to their options in lieu of being left out completely - but nobody wants to have their sorority have to fold twice. I would bet that every one of those Alphas are hoping someone will colonize (it sounds like Alpha Phi?) and do very well, and THEN they will gladly consider recolonizing in the next several years to a decade.

The 80's were a LONG time ago and a world apart in sorority success nationwide. I don't think there's any reason to believe another sorority or two or three can't do perfectly well at LSU. And like so many things, only time will tell. Good luck to all involved.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up University of Chicago

Just posted to Facebook:

Pi Beta Phi is very happy to announce that we have been asked to join the Greek community at the University of Chicago! We will be colonizing on campus this fall and we couldn't be more excited. Pi Phi will join our NPC sisters of Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity, Delta Gamma Fraternity and Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity. Thank you to everyone who made this possible!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
Just posted to Facebook:

Pi Beta Phi is very happy to announce that we have been asked to join the Greek community at the University of Chicago! We will be colonizing on campus this fall and we couldn't be more excited. Pi Phi will join our NPC sisters of Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity, Delta Gamma Fraternity and Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity. Thank you to everyone who made this possible!
Congratulations Pi Phi!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
SK also just recolonized ASU and had several colonizations in the last two years. I believe we normally keep a team on campus with the new chapter for an entire year. So, that drains resources too. Although, I'm sure those reasons were the icing on the cake and not the core reasons for us not to pursue LSU.
It might also have to to with the fact that the Greek Director at LSU is a Sigma Kappa and it might be seen as a conflict of interest. From looking at the SK website, it looks like SK hired an abnormally large group of Leadership Consultants this year, so some of LCs must be staying with the ASU and Mizzou colonies all year next year.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
Just posted to Facebook:

Even though my thoughts were for another presenting group, congratulations to the women of Pi Beta Phi on joining the U of C Panhellenic sisterhood !

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Alpha Gamma Delta will be recolonizing at the University of Southern California in 2013. Hoping that we'll be back at UCLA that fall as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so happy that Pi Phi will be colonizing at the University of Chicago. Sometimes prayers do work.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbino View Post
I am so happy that Pi Phi will be colonizing at the University of Chicago. Sometimes prayers do work.
Will you get to be involved? I am super disappointed that Phi Mu pushed Depaul back a year, because I was excited to be around for it.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

From FB!!

I'm so excited to share that Alpha Gamma Delta has been invited to recolonize our Delta Epsilon Chapter at UCLA in the Fall of '13.That's right sisters and friends...USC, SDSU and UCLA - here we come!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post
From FB!!

I'm so excited to share that Alpha Gamma Delta has been invited to recolonize our Delta Epsilon Chapter at UCLA in the Fall of '13.That's right sisters and friends...USC, SDSU and UCLA - here we come!
Wow! This is awesome! Congratulations to my Triad sisters!

Last edited by APhi4Ever; 06-07-2012 at 12:00 AM.