GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,772
1 members and 2,771 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2010, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

michigan recruitment

i know there is another thread about university of Michigan recruitment but nothing written on that thread was helpful because the originator was not sure where she was going to school. Well my sister knows for sure she will be attending the University of Michigan this upcoming fall and she is thinking about rushing there.

I am from the south where it can be quite competitive and letters of recommendation are a must. I know UM is a huge school but i don't know anything about their Greek life. Should i tell her to get rec letters?? is there anything about Michigan Greek life i can tell her?

any and all info and suggestions are really really appreciated!!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

AGDee would be a good resource on this one - she didn't go to a UM but across the street, I think.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think recs are necessary (although it is slightly competitive). Don't take my word for it, though - hopefully someone from Michigan can fill us in.

Last edited by agzg; 05-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Michigan is a very large school, with a very large greek system but recruitment is nothing like the south. Reference letters are appreciated but not required. (I used to be the regional adviser for our chapters in Michigan).
Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with kareng412, recs are not at all necessary but they will be appreciated. It is a big active greek system. The houses are large and staffed with cooks, bus boys, cleaning agencies, etc. She'll need VERY warm clothes for winter (not even sorority related) and should plan on jeans, hoodies, boots, warm clothes, a blanket for football games and tailgating! That's one thing that's very different than the south!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah... no cute little sundresses with heels for football up in Ann Arbor. She'll need Under Armour coldgear leggings to go under the jeans for November games. Brrr!!!! They are a tad pricey ($40-50 ish) but sooooo worth it. Saturdays in Ann Arbor are all about the game, even if Michigan has had a couple of unfortunate seasons. Many Big 10 schools take their football as seriously as SEC schools do.

As to recs, since you are in the South, your sister might have an easier time getting them since it is common knowledge as to how important they are at many southern schools. So tell her to go ahead and get some, especially the ones from people who know her and can write a great, personalized rec. She shouldn't stress about them though. We are in Virginia, one of my kids goes to another Big 10 school. She got recs because well, that is what you do here. I think it gave her a leg up in some cases since not that many girls get recs at her school-the sororities were already aware of her when she went through recruitment, which is a good thing for a girl who was from out of state and didn't have hometown/school/camp affiliations.

Even though I root for anyone who plays Michigan, it is a great, great school academically and activities-wise, and Ann Arbor is a fun college town. I hope your sister has a great time there.

Last edited by southbymidwest; 05-04-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

This tread makes me want to Zingerman's.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Zingerman's is the best. A definite place to go in Ann Arbor!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

To add a more specific question, why is Michigan's recruitment schedule so weird? Or different, I should say. It's spread out over 3 weeks! Is there a purpose to this, or is it just the university's preference?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been a while now, but one of my high school best friends went to U of M. I know my sister knows some girls there now so I'll talk to her tomorrow and see if she has any other advice.

If you can find a rec, great! But don't loose sleep if you can't find one. This is definitely not the south, but it's still competitive.

Tell your sister to just relax and have fun! Buy lots of warm clothes and blankets for winter. And a good pair of boots! My friend didn't want boots because she thought they were ugly...that lasted until the first week of December. Make sure your sister gets boots before winter (and by winter, I mean October).

Also, remember that recruitment is after school starts so be smart for the first weekends!