GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,221
2 members and 1,219 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I have not read this entire thread, but I wanted everyone to be aware that some Sororities - who some have previously refered to as college sororities - do initiate women after college. Sigm Kappa for one has a very active alumna initiatie program. If you are interested in more information, check our the web site at www.sigmakappa.org, and request more informaiton.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skgator68 View Post
I have not read this entire thread, but I wanted everyone to be aware that some Sororities - who some have previously refered to as college sororities - do initiate women after college. Sigm Kappa for one has a very active alumna initiatie program. If you are interested in more information, check our the web site at www.sigmakappa.org, and request more informaiton.
It's beneficial that you try to read this entire forum and the discussions that have taken place regarding the subject of Alumnae Initiation in NPC sororities.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
It's beneficial that you try to read this entire forum and the discussions that have taken place regarding the subject of Alumnae Initiation in NPC sororities.
Very respectfully said. And very good advice...
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skgator68 View Post
We, as sisters of Sigma Kappa, should not refer anyone to our national web site to request more information about AI, because as per our own handbook-a potential Alumna Initiate is to be chosen & pursued by an active Alumnae or Collegiate chapter to be bestowed as an honor and nothing less.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I was wondering, are there any fraternities that have this as well?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

IMO, It is best to do your own research and return if you have questions.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lisa_ View Post
We, as sisters of Sigma Kappa, should not refer anyone to our national web site to request more information about AI, because as per our own handbook-a potential Alumna Initiate is to be chosen & pursued by an active Alumnae or Collegiate chapter to be bestowed as an honor and nothing less.
I don't have a problem with random people requesting information about AI through Sigma Kappa. I know our sorority (and every NPC) will choose the right members for AI. Very few women, if any, who approach AI this way will get an invitation to join.

With that said, I wouldn't encourage a random person to request info about AI. AI is for women who already have some connection to a member or members, and those members generally approach a woman asking her to become an AI.

Last edited by violetpretty; 04-10-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Ladies,
I am truly fascinated by this thread, and I will be completely honest, I've not read the entire forum, but am interested in the concept of alumni initiation for a former (read: deactivated) member of an NPC sorority. Granted, the likelyhood of even honorary membership in another NPC group is out of the question, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) becoming a member of one of the listed community sororities is possible?

I have known, in some cases, where my chapter (of an NPC) has made faculty/staff advisors honorary members, though they were initiated sorority women in another NPC sorority. Do any other sororities do this?

Please know, my questions are not for myself, but for my masters thesis with a focus on GLO life on campus and the students these groups attract. Yes, I am currently an advisor to a GLO, but it is a service group, not a social.

If anyone has any input, public or private, I welcome the comments.

Thanks everyone.
In the bonds of sisterhood and friendship,
Elyssa
Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAPhiOAdvisor View Post
Ladies,
I have known, in some cases, where my chapter (of an NPC) has made faculty/staff advisors honorary members, though they were initiated sorority women in another NPC sorority. Do any other sororities do this?
I think either you misspoke in this post or misinterpreted what happened.

ASA has 2 honors (Phoenix Recognition and Mother Patroness) that we can present to nonmembers for service rendered to the sorority, but it does NOT mean that they are members - honorary or otherwise. I'm guessing that DZ has something similar and that's what was actually done (if I'm totally off base, DZs, correct me).

Re the community service sororities, they are not part of NPC so an active/disaffiliated/anything member of an NPC group would definitely be able to join one.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-11-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
If your friend was initiated into an NPC member group, she cannot be initiated into another NPC member group. Period. That is an agreement between the NPC members. The groups listed in the first post are not members of NPC so there is no such agreement.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think either you misspoke in this post or misinterpreted what happened.
Could be....all I know is that the chapter made two women on campus alumnae initiates, and I was told that at least one of them had been in a sorority when she was an undergrad. Maybe there is another name for what they became in the sorority. This all happened well before I became a sister.
Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

If the woman who was previously in a sorority was in a chapter of the sorority which initiated her as an ai, that would make sense. I have known of women who pledged, but were not initiated, who were later initiated as ais. But as was said previously, once you are initiated into a NPC sorority you may not be initiated into another NPC sorority.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JMNew83 Send a message via Yahoo to JMNew83
I'd like to add to your list: Gamma Phi Delta Sorority, Inc.

Gamma Phi Delta Sorority is a national business focused sorority that is non-political, non-sectarian. We are not part of the NPC OR NPH. We are sisterhood of distinguished, congenial business and professional women offering opportunities for community service, networking and leadership development to civic-minded women.

We welcome women in all fields, business-related positions and vocationally trained occupations. To join a graduate alumnae chapter, you must have one of the following: a) educational training such as a Bachelor's or an Associate's, b) two-years of professional work experience OR c) be a business owner.

Recently, we recently started a graduate chapter in New York City -- Beta Lambda -- and are coming over the bridge to New Jersey. For more information, feel free to message me.

If you live outside of this area, visit our national website at http://www.gammaphideltasorority.com!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

This was such a helpful thread. I am so excited to find it. I Googled all of them and some of this info could stand to be updated, but I really, really, really appreciate the time it took to put this together!! I've contacted a bunch awaiting any next steps. Hopeful I will find the right fit.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrigamiTulip View Post
Maybe you had an unsuccessful rush in college, or you didn’t rush at all. Maybe you attended a college without a greek system, or didn’t attend college at all. Maybe you were a member of a service or professional sorority, or were a member of a local that folded. Whatever the reason, you’ve found yourself longing for sisterhood, and are thinking about joining a sorority. You are not alone! Thousands of women past the traditional college age have found their sorority home in one of the many community sororities. (Community sororities are also known as civic sororities, non-academic sororities, non-collegiate sororities, adult sororities, or philanthropic sororities.)

For over a century, community sororities have provided sisterhood for women who chose to join. Membership in a community sorority can be just as rewarding and is usually a better fit for most post-college women than trying to become an alumna initiate of a collegiate sorority. There are more than 20 community sororities located across the US and Canada, so there are a lot possibilities to find a sorority that is a good match for your interests and needs. Usually membership in these sororities is available by invitation to women over 18 years of age, with each one having its own membership selection process.

<snip>