GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,446
1 members and 1,445 guests
No Members online

Old 03-02-2003, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

I know that this has been said before, that SL has not affected the numbers for recruitment, but I work with alot of high school seniors that are graduating in this June and they are going away for college. Some of them have been following SL and have applied the stereotypes to all greek orginations. They feel that greek life are just about of snobby girls that party all the time. I keep on telling them no that is not it. I have come to the point where I make them promise me that they will at least keep an open mind and meet some of the ladies that belong to grrek organizations on their college campuses. Maybe it is just my experience with people going into college, I hope that this is not the general rule. I am watching greek life die on my undergradaute campus because (a) they still have "hazing" they get around that be telling the pledges that they don't have to do anything that they don't want to. They can also say no and have a consquence or they can just drop. (b) Many women that I have met don't want to do degrading things and have someone be a bitch to their face and than turn around and be all kissy, kissy. All see this all in the season.

Back to the topic. That girl Janel reminds me of Mariah Carey (I am not saying that it is bad or good). Her movements and facial expressions are similiar to Mariah's.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-02-2003, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madaboutap

Back to the topic. That girl Janel reminds me of Mariah Carey (I am not saying that it is bad or good). Her movements and facial expressions are similiar to Mariah's.
I was thinking the same thing about her.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile It's rather sad...

that poor janel chooses to come across as the gate guard...
she really doesn't need to.
i suspect there is a nice person in there.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I need some clarification-- Is it true that the houses that participate in Sorority life and Fraternity life add a letter to their name so they aren't recognized? I heard that it is really Sigma Chi in fraternity life and not Sigma Chi Omega.
also why is DZO-- called Delta XI Omega? DZ is pronounced Delta Zeta so why isn't the Z pronounced Zeta in DZO?
Old 03-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

YES! YES! YES! I was thinking the exact same thing!!
Old 03-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by trisigmaAtl
I
but then... i don't want to judge, mtv is only showing what they want us to talk about anyway.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I thought the same thing! They look very much alike.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
I need some clarification-- Is it true that the houses that participate in Sorority life and Fraternity life add a letter to their name so they aren't recognized? I heard that it is really Sigma Chi in fraternity life and not Sigma Chi Omega.
also why is DZO-- called Delta XI Omega? DZ is pronounced Delta Zeta so why isn't the Z pronounced Zeta in DZO?
No. Sigma Chi Omega was/is an interest group for Sigma Chi (meaning the members formed it with the purpose of wanting to become a Sigma Chi colony) but is not, as of this point, affiliated with Sigma Chi in any way -- and probably won't ever be, after this show. Both of the groups are local groups, and as far as I know, always have been.

The Greek alphabet is not a letter-for-letter translation of the English alphabet, obviously, so the Greek letter "Xi" is alternately nicknamed "Z" or "X" when English letters are used to symbolize it. For example, the NPC sorority Alpha Xi Delta is often referred to as "AZD" or "AXD." Also, "Xi" can be pronounced a number of ways -- "zy," "zee" and "k-zee" all being acceptable.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Season 2 better already

Quote:
Originally posted by 14dst01
I have to agree with Serenity in the fact that there are not a lot of the sisters and if you are interested in pledging/rushing a sorority, it would be in your best interest to get to know the sisters!! I didn't think any of the DZO sisters were snobby or stuck-up. I guess I can relate because of the fact that I had to humble myself when I was a prospective. But each organiztion is different and each one has it's own personality.

I think this is a lot better than the first season in the fact that in the first season, I couldn't tell who was the Big Sister and who was the pledgee!!!! They did not show any respect to their Big Sisters. I forget the one who dropped out (blondie) but I remember an episode where she told the big sisters to F*&% off!!! I was like, WHOOOAAA!! I would not live to tell that story if I would have done that while online!!!! I don't know, I guess it's a respect thing for me. I also like how in the fraternity show, the president tells the pledgees, "If you're early you're on time, if you're on time you're late and if you're late don't bother showin' up!!!!" That's what I'm talking about, people have to understand that none of the bids are guaranteed!!!! (Nice to see the DZO president make note of that at their ice cream social)
From what I'm starting to understand, it looks like DZO's rush/pledge process is a lot more like NPHC intake than the NPC sororities' -- does anybody else think this is true? And while NPC sororities don't generally guarantee all rushees bids, I think Sigma AEPi's rush/pledge process was much more similar to the average NPC sorority's. It seems like that in the NPHC sororities, more focus is put on the rushee to make a good impression (just like in Delta Xi Omega), whereas in the NPC sororities, it is much more up to the initiates to make the new members feel welcome.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Season 2 better already

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
It seems like that in the NPHC sororities, more focus is put on the rushee to make a good impression (just like in Delta Xi Omega), whereas in the NPC sororities, it is much more up to the initiates to make the new members feel welcome.
I understand what you are saying but for the most part, we do make our "rushees" feel welcome. However, our rush process is sort of extended. If a woman is interested in our (NPHC) orgs', she needs to make it known prior to the actual rush party. IE: coming to community service events, etc. By the time she shows up at the rush party, we already know WHO she is and what she is about. And by the same token, She knows what is expected of her---no suprises. So the process can take from six month up to a year or more (depending upon the circumstances of the chapter.) By this time, she should feel like the sorority is home already or she has a very good connection with said sorority. But yes, in the long run, we want the prospectives to make a good impression.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Season 2 better already

Quote:
From what I'm starting to understand, it looks like DZO's rush/pledge process is a lot more like NPHC intake than the NPC sororities' -- does anybody else think this is true? And while NPC sororities don't generally guarantee all rushees bids, I think Sigma AEPi's rush/pledge process was much more similar to the average NPC sorority's. It seems like that in the NPHC sororities, more focus is put on the rushee to make a good impression (just like in Delta Xi Omega), whereas in the NPC sororities, it is much more up to the initiates to make the new members feel welcome.
Yes and no. Now that I'm on the Greek side, I would expect for for those intersted in Delta to know the history of the organization, have their gpa and community service in tact and also get to know the members of the chapter they are seeking membership into. As far as making a good impression, I would hope all sororities, black, white, NPC or NPHC would expect their prospectives/rushees to make a good impression on them. That's why I was not impressed by the first Sorority Life show. If I would have done half the some of the pledgees did (walking out in the middle of the social, going to a strip club, getting drunk all the time, etc...), I would not be a member of DST, period!!!! I think the fact that DZO put emphasis on the fact that they wanted their rushees to get to know them more makes sense and something I personally can relate to.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Season 2 better already

I just wanted to say that the two rush processes (DZO and the usual NPHC rush) obviously aren't identical -- I just thought it was interesting that most (although not all) members of NPHC sororities seemed to be empathizing with the sisters whereas most of the NPC sorority members were empathizing with the rushees, and figured that might be attributed to the differences in member selection processes. And while all sororities do try to make their potential new members feel welcome (hopefully, at least!) and all PNMs have to make a good first impression to be considered by a group, it seems like the NPC organizations are much more likely to excuse PNMs' ignorance than the NPHC sororities -- and rightfully so. It's not so difficult to thoroughly research the histories and purposes of four different groups, if you're committed to it, but a little harder to do the same with 26! Then again, as has been discussed before, it seems like the NPC organizations are all pretty similar to each other, whereas the NPHC groups have more significant differences between them -- so it's usually more okay for the potential new NPC members to be ignorant about the purposes of the organizations until they become actual members.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Season 2 better already

Quote:
I just wanted to say that the two rush processes (DZO and the usual NPHC rush) obviously aren't identical -- I just thought it was interesting that most (although not all) members of NPHC sororities seemed to be empathizing with the sisters whereas most of the NPC sorority members were empathizing with the rushees, and figured that might be attributed to the differences in member selection processes. And while all sororities do try to make their potential new members feel welcome (hopefully, at least!) and all PNMs have to make a good first impression to be considered by a group, it seems like the NPC organizations are much more likely to excuse PNMs' ignorance than the NPHC sororities -- and rightfully so. It's not so difficult to thoroughly research the histories and purposes of four different groups, if you're committed to it, but a little harder to do the same with 26! Then again, as has been discussed before, it seems like the NPC organizations are all pretty similar to each other, whereas the NPHC groups have more significant differences between them -- so it's usually more okay for the potential new NPC members to be ignorant about the purposes of the organizations until they become actual members.

I get your point. That's why I'm addicted to this show because it's interesting to see how other sororites (particularly NPC) operate and handle their rush process. Hopefully the next SL3 will follow a NPHC sorority. Even thought I find that very unlikely!!! The fact that the whole country will be in on what goes on in the chapter which is a representative of the org., maynot go over well with ours or any other NPHC's Nat'l officers!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by volgirl2376
Regardless of editing, the stuff coming out of peoples mouths were still said.
You are correct. I was trying to give them DZO the benefit of the doubt. Now I will stick my butt out the window and recite the Greek alphabet backwards before a match burns out.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Season 3 of Sorority Life

Ever since that daily recap of the first episode came out, I've been reading 'Make It A Double Sweetie''s website.

Season 3 of SL is in production..

For more info check out this link: http://www.doublesweetie.com/season3.html

Intersestingly enough, they used the MTV logo in their advertisements for rush!