GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,508
0 members and 2,508 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I would like to add a comment as well. I remember back in the day, there were many individuals that I knew personally that did not have a 2.5 GPA in high school. Then, they went to UF, FSU, USF, and UCF and basically smoked their college courses. They had higher GPA's than numerous individuals that left high school with amazing GPA's.

I understand that there must be cutoffs and rules, but I do have mixed feelings on it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-13-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phine View Post
As someone with learning disabilities, I don't know how I feel about this decision. On campus, I have actually been able to achieve a lot through my sorority even though I continue to struggle academically.
that was pretty close to my experience as well
Old 06-13-2008, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been my experience (at three different universities) that students with learning disabilities are allowed exceptions within the classes, but not with degree/university requirements. Profs are notified by the proper university officials regarding the student's problem and the exception(s) to be made as a result. So, for instance, a student with LD could be given extra time for exams. That way, the students' needs are met, but the integrity of the university's degree isn't affected.

It seems that, since students with LD are given these types of exceptions, it makes sense to abandon GPA exceptions.

I don't know Ole Miss' policies, however, so maybe they don't allow extra time for exams, etc...

Regardless, I think it's good that all students are held to the same standard. And, as others have stated, if a student can't maintain a 2.5, then sorority life shouldn't be a priority anyway.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, now perhaps I'm being just a little naive here, but is it common at some of these well-established, large schools to have incoming freshman with UNDER a 2.5? At my school, incoming freshman averaged above a 4.0 and I don't recall ever seeing listed GPAs under 3.8 during recruitment. Admittedly, our school had high admission standards, but I don't recall my high school colleauges going to 4-year universities with UNDER a 2.5. In those cases, Community College was often a better option (plus you could save money).

Doesn't it seem weird to come into a college practically on academic probation already?
Old 06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

That should read freshmen, as in plural. I obviously need more coffee.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:52 PM

I agree, to even get into colleges you must have a certain GPA average. a 2.5 from high school is easily attainable even for people with learning disabilities( I know this from experience) . If a person had a learning disability to the extent where it was extremely hard for them to have a 2.5 than in my opinion they need to spend so much time investing in studying in college that it would not be wise for them to join a greek organization.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
LOL, I was actually going to quote it!

It's one thing to go through and meet people with a high chance of being released if the fee is small...$100 is not small.
Really? $100 is all that theirs costs? I was talking to a few girls a couple days ago and said our sorority rush is something like $270. Maybe that's for something else though. Fraternity rush costs 100$ if you sign up early, 120$ for later if I remember correctly. Keeps the deadbeats out that couldn't afford dues anyways.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-13-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Really? $100 is all that theirs costs? I was talking to a few girls a couple days ago and said our sorority rush is something like $270. Maybe that's for something else though. Fraternity rush costs 100$ if you sign up early, 120$ for later if I remember correctly. Keeps the deadbeats out that couldn't afford dues anyways.
Well, of course there's all the outfits you buy and such, so even if the fee is only $100...plus the $270 might include staying in the dorm or something. There's a thread on here about what rush costs at the different schools.

But I was talking about $100 is not small as opposed to $20 or less at a school w/ a teeny Greek system.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Ok, now perhaps I'm being just a little naive here, but is it common at some of these well-established, large schools to have incoming freshman with UNDER a 2.5? At my school, incoming freshman averaged above a 4.0 and I don't recall ever seeing listed GPAs under 3.8 during recruitment. Admittedly, our school had high admission standards, but I don't recall my high school colleauges going to 4-year universities with UNDER a 2.5. In those cases, Community College was often a better option (plus you could save money).

Doesn't it seem weird to come into a college practically on academic probation already?
I had the exact same thought so I looked it up:

http://www.olemiss.edu/admissions/fap.html#regad

At Ole Miss, if you get a certain score on the ACT/SAT, it doesn't matter what you got as your high school GPA. If you score high enough, you can get in with a 2.0. Although it does look like you have to least have a 2.0. But... that's not very good.

Frankly, this makes a lot of sense to me given that I know that a lot of students who can't get into Texas end up at Ole Miss. (The top 10% rule at Texas state universities now accounts for around 80% of admissions to UT. So lots of kids from prestigious high schools now find it difficult to gain entrance to UT.) The score guarantees you'd get in.

It also looks like you get in automatically with a 3.2 regardless of what your high school GPA is... that's sort of surprising to me too.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, of course there's all the outfits you buy and such, so even if the fee is only $100...plus the $270 might include staying in the dorm or something. There's a thread on here about what rush costs at the different schools.

But I was talking about $100 is not small as opposed to $20 or less at a school w/ a teeny Greek system.
That definitely has to take care of housing. I know that Registration Fees help pay for rush t-shirts, booklets, and other rush-related supplies, but I can't imagine it being $270 (housing not included), even at a big competitive school.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
That definitely has to take care of housing. I know that Registration Fees help pay for rush t-shirts, booklets, and other rush-related supplies, but I can't imagine it being $270 (housing not included), even at a big competitive school.
Housing's not an issue because it's during school and all the girls live in the dorms.

I'm not sure... gee ess might know more on how much it costs, but I do know that it's gotta be at least higher than our fraternity rush (120 if you sign up late)
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 06-13-2008, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
That's probably with housing and/or maybe all meals for the week at dining services.

If you do the late registration at UGA these days, it's $145 and that's including some meals and transportation, but there's no housing portion. You either just move in early for Fall in the dorms or you move into your apartment.

Interestingly, some girls pretend they are going through recruitment and pay the recruitment fee so that they can move into the dorms early. That's really funny to me. It kind of says, I want a week of straight up partying before classes even start.

It seems like long in the past that UGA did rush week and then there was a week before classes started, so that you did separate housing for rush week in the dorms that wasn't your actual room for fall. I might be misremembering that though. My point is that maybe some campuses are still doing something like that.

ETA and somewhat actually on topic: is Ole Miss someplace where sophs or juniors are free or is it someplace where if you don't rush as a freshman it really hurts your odds? Because as much as having a grade exception for learning disabilities seems very compassionate, if a PNM can rush with success as a soph, it's probably a lot better for anyone without a 2.5 out of high school to wait a year and see how it goes.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 06-13-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

IMHO, no girl with a 2.5 GPA has any business getting involved with date parties, exchanges, philanthropy commitments, sisterhood retreats, etc. School comes first, ladies!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
It must be for something else. Arkansas Panhellenic fee is $190. BTW, IFC cost is $90 for early and $100 for late sign-up.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-14-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

It was ~$270 at my school last fall, but that covered 5 days in the dorms (which we moved right back out of to move into a sorority house or into a different dorm at the end) as well as meals and everything else with recruitment.