GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,422
2 members and 1,420 guests
bmilesqtivaov13, naraht

Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedRover
Brottier is the old Cricklewood/CitiLine Towers, right? I heard DU built the structure as a dorm, but for some reason, couldn't use it and Towers got built. DU sold the building to the Gumbergs, alumni of course, who turned it into apartments.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jeremypichi
yeah, it was the old CitiLine apartments, right down the hill from Old Main. Apparently DU bought it in 2004 and made it into a dorm. It is decent, but it could be a whole lot better. Hell, all the dorms could be a lot better.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brunetteddd
That's true about the dorms; I toured all the schools in the Burgh, and the dorms for all of them were god-awful.

The one I remember hating the most was Schenley Towers at Pitt. *Gags*

Sorry, I don't particularly want to live in a wedge-shaped shoebox for a whole year.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello All:

So, between all of my little sisters and some of the alumni on this site I still have to wonder how housing became the "showdown" issue. Is it more than housing that has the greek system all screwed up at Duquesne? Is this the only issue that contributed to recruitment being so low? I know the girls in my chapter have told me in no uncertain terms that they won't work with Fr. H any longer and the new head of Greek Life..they have no trust in them any longer. One of the parents of my sisters is in the process of buying a house on the southside for the chapter.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I currently go to duquesne and I am in a greek organization. I can assure you that at the very least 50% of the problem is DU's Admin., Father Hogan, and the new director. The wing rule is something like 100% fraternity/sorrority members on a wing, which at a school such as Duquesne, is rediculous. Father Hogan is trying to basically rid Duquesne of greek life. No senior member of a fraternity/sorrority wants to live in a dorm... with sophmores, juniors, and now some freshmen. It is just rediculous what they are doing. The rules are way too strict. They try to take all the fun out of greek life.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Du22:

I am getting ready for work at my school but I wanted to confirm that what you have said is EXACTLY what I have heard from my sisters, both collegiate and alum. Fr. H wants to get rid of Greek Life and the new head of Greek Life has made a complete mess of things.

One of the parents of the collegiates bought a house over the weekend on the southside and he said that if he is challenged by Duquesne he will go directly to court. He has a good attorney that said no one can tell someone that can't buy a home and who they can rent to. So, he said any noise from Duquesne and he will go to court and to the newspapers.

What a complete mess Fr. H and head of Greek LIfe have made..NO ONE wants to join a greek group now at Duquesne. Thanks alot, Duquesne!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

HI ALL:

Eventually, the bad taste left in everyone's mouth by Duquesne will lead to less money given by alum. I think someone said this somewhere already in this chat. When people are unhappy they don't give and maybe that is what Duquesne needs in order for things to get better.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I am surprised that a priest is in charge of Greek Life. Is there someone above Father Hogan who the greek community can go to?
Old 04-01-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jeremypichi
Fr. Hogan is the executive vice president for Student Life. My understanding is he is basically in charge of damn near everything as far as the students go, including greek life. I believe the only people really above Fr. Hogan are some of the other campus executives and the President of the University. Then again, there is always the alumni since they are potential donors. If there is one thing that I've learned here, its that money talks.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Money does talk. If you have trustees and some of them are greek or alumni from the on campus orgs, you may want to approach them in a friendly business matter.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedRover
Father Hogan is a member of the Spirtan congregation that owns the university. Trust me on this, the congregation supercedes everything -- alumni, the board of directors. Only the Vatican would supercede the congregation
Old 04-02-2008, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

RedRover:

I would assume that what you are saying is correct. That is truly a shame as Fr. H will ruin the school all on his own. However, as others have stated the power of money in a private school setting can often change the course of events. If enough alumni of Duquesne hear these types of messages in a larger venue, ie the newspaper, etc. they can certainly make an impact.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

There is no challenging Fr. H. If he wants it to happen, it will happen. Duquesne's Admin. is equivalent to a money hungry tyrant. I know many people would say then why wouldn't you just transfer to another school? But, i've already made friendships and I also like the majority of the teachers.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi All:

Well, what can be said is this: Look how many hits this chat has received..over 2200. That says a great deal that something at Duquesne needs to done. I really feel for my sisters and all fraternities and sororities. My advice is that everyone who is reading these comments starts to talk to their alumni friends, family members, greek national offices and anyone who will listen. The more hits, the more this information is out there.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUgrad View Post
Hi All:

Well, what can be said is this: Look how many hits this chat has received..over 2200. That says a great deal that something at Duquesne needs to done. I really feel for my sisters and all fraternities and sororities. My advice is that everyone who is reading these comments starts to talk to their alumni friends, family members, greek national offices and anyone who will listen. The more hits, the more this information is out there.
The reason why I started responding to this was because I live in PA and while I don't know anyone who is greek that went to Duquense, there are tons of people out there who do. If you want to get people involved, then get the message out there. What do you have to loose?