GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,229
0 members and 2,229 guests
No Members online

Old 07-13-2000, 10:23 PM
Heltah Scheltah

Thumbs down A TELL ALL BOOK( basically puttin' us out there)

OK this is my thing. This author, a sister of course, Tiajuana Butler, has written a book in 1998 entitled "Sorority
Girl" detailing about the black sorority experience. I will say I have not
read the book but let's just say I got enough to gather enough.
Coming from a greek perspective, this sister has kinda put all of us who have had a "process" out there. She has to be greek-- what she is, I don't know. Whenever you have several moments, yall need to go to
Barnes & Noble's website and do a search of her book and read the excerpt
first, then read the reviews. Now sistergirl gets all praises and stuff. But
not from me. I submitted MY review to B&N. I grilled her ass but it's not up
yet. It's just the big sister flip mode/dp attitude coming
out. Here it is below just in case they don't post it. Read it and let me
know if I am wrong.
HS
P.S. Not to slam a sister because she is aBLACK women doing Damn well. But to publish that much info like that. . . to me that's not cool.

A reviewer, July 11, 2000
A higher perspective on TJ Butler's 'Sorority Sisters'

Let me just say that I have not read Ms. Butler's book in entirety. I have
read, however, several excerpts from the book entitled Sorority Sisters,
which is enough to draw the following comments. I am very disappointed that
Ms. Butler would choose to disclose such an excessive amount of private
information that is so universal to many of the historically black
sororities and fraternities. I understand that the book also deals with
several issues that confront African-American women today, which I applaud
her for; however, was it necessary to liken the character's experiences to
one of an actual African-American sorority experience? (i.e. terms, actions,
colors) After all, from what source did Ms. Butler gather her information?
Perhaps her's or another person's initiation process was so insignificant
that they did not value any of the information taught, especially the way
the book blatently talks about discretion. A quote from the actual book:
'keep the things surrounding our sorority a mystery to outsiders.' There are
tens of thousands of women who have shared a similar sorority experience.
Many have disclosed information just as Ms. Butler's book tells all, making
the precious yet privileged process public knowledge.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-14-2000, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
I read the book and didn't draw the same conclusions as you did, and Ms. Butler is my soror. I didn't feel that the book "gave away" too much information, though I did think that it lacked character development depth. I also would have preferred if it she had chosen different color schemes when talking about the one fraternity mentioned, as well as the sorority the girls were pledging. I think making up fictional greek organizations would have been better, as E. Lynn Harris has been careful to do in his books (even though we all have our guesses as to what organizations he means).

Nonetheless, it was entertaining and I don't think it tells anything that non-greeks who went to school back when pledging was above ground wouldn't already have known. You really should read the entire book before making up your mind completely.

DG
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Spring 1990

[This message has been edited by Discogoddess (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-14-2000, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
DG-

I haven't read any of the new E. Lynn Harris books in a while, but does he always use fictional names for the sororities and fraternities in his books? I seem to remember him using the names of the orgs freely. Do you know when/why he changed this?

ZetaAce
Old 07-14-2000, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Just a correction, but the book is called "Sorority Sisters," not "Sorority Girls." I read the book and found it to be very entertaining. Although I am not greek, but am aspiring to become in the near future, I don't feel that the book gave away too much discreet info. The book was pretty much a look into the lives of the characters. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who would like to witness the special bond that friendship has, greek or non-greek.

[This message has been edited by elboogie22 (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-14-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

ZetaAce:

It's been awhile since I've read any of E. Lynn's stuff myself, but I recall that while he used the names of sororities (since he wasn't saying anything controversial about their members, he probably felt that was okay), but he didn't use the names of his fraternity or, if I remember correctly, the fraternity names of others who were gay characters. Granted, my memory is getting fuzzier by the day, but that's the way I remember it.

DG
Old 07-14-2000, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Tighten up Heltah Scheltah. First, the book is not entitled "Sorority Girl" it is called "Sorority Sisters". How can you critique a book you have not thoroughly read, I mean really, you couldnt even get the title right. I am not a member of a Greek letter organization, but I have read the book. I don't feel as if the book gave anything away. Even if the author DID tell everything that happend during her process (which is quite obvious she did not), Everybody's process is DIFFERENT. Slow your roll.
Old 07-14-2000, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know were to start but I will begin by saying that I am a member of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority Inc. and I loved the book, so did all of my line sisters. I read the book while I was in the process of becoming a member along with the rest of my LS and it was great (for lack of a better word)

I do understand that the book was not written like a thesis to a committee, but that is really one of the resons I liked it, because I read it in a day. but it was telling what it was like for five girls to bond and I think that it showed what the ideal bonding experience should be. (but that's my opinion)

As far as secrets, how can you say that something you never read tells all these things. I read it and I don't feel that is let out anything pertinent at al (but like I said, that's just me).

I will make it a priority to let every girl that comes in under me read this book, and I think that you should at least know the title and read the book before you bash it

Now, I will say that I recently read a pamphlet (I can't remeber the exact name) but it was something like "Why Christians shouldn't join Fraternities and Sororities?"
Now this book, (sorry, I borrowed it and am no longer in contact with that person to get the exact info) had some true secrets....it actually had our pledge (well a variation) in it, and described everyone's intake ceremony. I can't tell you how angry I was when I red this. And most importantly I was angry, becasue as a Christian I feel that it misinterpreted and twisted the meaning of our orgs. until they appeared to be Satanic Cults.
Old 07-15-2000, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I have not read the book, but do intend to do so. If the book "gave away" too much information, then I don't think our organization would have endorsed or bestowed praise upon the book and author as they did when it was first published.
Old 07-15-2000, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL at mizzkes! I thought my husband was the only one who said "slow your roll" anymore! Funny!
Old 07-15-2000, 12:37 AM
book

The woman who wrote that sorry book is an AKA. I actually read it yesterday. I've read all the hype about it and I must say: WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!! The book was so shallow and boring - it felt like a teen level read, honestly. Dull Dull Dull. I hated how her protagonists were these silly little girls drooling over boys - that was the only focus of their lives outside the sorority. I found that insulting. I am a college student and I can honestly say, I've never let myself get the pathetic. What an awful representation of us Black women - both in the terrible characters and in the terrible writing. Thank goodness the sorority has better member like Maya Angelou to represent them, becuase with Ms. Butler as a representation, I should say the AKA's should be embarassed. I would've expected more of a women who belongs to a sorority that emphasizes such scholarship and class and excelling in all they do. I know I am going to catch hell for putting that out there, but hey, it's the truth. No one is looking at that book favorably except her sorors.
Old 07-15-2000, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Many women I know in sororities (AKA,DST,ZPhiB,SGRho) have read this book and find it to be excellent reading. I think if the book divulged too much information, we would have heard about that aspect way before now...especially by members of the Sorority to which the book references in detail.

I can't EVEN lie, I am seriously ON MY WAY to the bookstore like NOW to buy it. I was in the AKA forum and so many of the Ladies were in approval of the book because it speaks on experiences we ALL (in sororities) have in common, not just the one that is "referenced."

Sister Secrets is another book that I have on my list to check out.

I am down with a sistah putting out literary works and being successful.

Remember, people will ALWAYS criticize things negatively, it is easier, for some reason, to do that then to give ultimate PRAISE.

People SLAMMED the Divine Nine book into the GROUND. Yet, I don't see anyone else writing books about our experiences in BGLOs.

I say "Go ahead TJ Butler"...you got my $13.95 for the book

I was done with the message and then I read "book".

Dang, I have to agree with Zeta Ace again (in referance to the post by strawberries about AKAs and mirrors)...why come on here unregistered and post negative stuff. I don't think the only people who are proud are her Sorors...that's BS. I am proud and I am NOT her Soror. Okay so I haven't read the book, yet, but, let's support one another here. Perhaps it was her goal to write a book that was NOT aimed at being "over the heads" of anyone who got a hold of it. Yeah, as graduates and women currently in college, something a little more "challenging" may be acceptable...but think of all the younger women who will read this book and find it to be "good" reading. The ladies are in college so it should be assumed that all they did was NOT "drool" all over boys 18 hours a day and pledge the other 6 hours.

You have to understand that people who rite have a CLEAR cut idea as to what THEY choose to represent in a book. If she sat down and said "I want to write a book that details the lives of women trying to pledge a sorority and to make it fun, I'll throw in some boy-chasing type details, too but I AM NOT going to focus on academics and home life, etc." then that is her prerogative.

[This message has been edited by DELTABRAT (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-15-2000, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Talking

I read Sorority Sisters and I disagree with the notion that Ms. Butler gave away sorority secrets.

The reason I loved the book is because someone on another forum stated that the author focused more on the relationship of line sisters than the pledge proccess per se. I found that to be true. I think that is why the book is entitled Sorority Sisters as opposed to On Line All The Time. It focuses on the relationship between line sisters who then become sorority sisters.

If anything, what the characters went through is a generalized version of pledging. Anyone with a intake/pledge process can relate to one aspect or another of the book. I don't think there is cause to say that Ms. Butler broke new groud with her book by revealing secret sorority rituals/processes.

Anyway, to each his own. I LOVED THE BOOK. Great summer read! Brought back some memories...

BTW, I'm not an AKA. LOL! I had to go there.

Quote:
No one is looking at that book favorably except her sorors.
------------------
Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Hasta La Muerte!

[This message has been edited by Serenity (edited July 15, 2000).]
Old 07-15-2000, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thank you DeltaBrat and my Soror Blu Theatrics for your comments. I have read what you have written on other posts and I have to say that you always tell it like it is but you remain positive!!! I don't think I can add to this discussion but I will buy the book!!

------------------
BE POSITIVE!!!
Old 07-15-2000, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello All,
I read Sister Butler's book in 1998 when I purchased it at the Delta National Convention and I loved it. I agree with the others who criticize Heltah Scheltah in knocking the writer's efforts without reading the entire book. The book might have been on a level not quite there with Maya Angelou or Toni Morrison, both sorors of TAjuana Butler, but with anything we do practice makes perfect.

I commend Tajuana for incorporating SISTERHOOD ( she really made it universal, it could have been AKA, DST, ZPhiB, or SGRho) and the problems that plague BLACK WOMEN while in college. I read a lot and I am always pleased to find parts of my life reflected in an author's work.

Someone else mentioned how E. Lynn Harris, A Phi A, incorporates and/or mentions real life sororities in his works. Yes I know that in IF THIS WORLD WERE MINE, some of the major characters were DELTAS. I have no problem with that because truthfully it is another reflection of our world. Also Eric Jerome Dickey, A Phi A, mentions it in a roundabout way in his books as well. Usually he will say she was wearing a "pink and green sorority shirt" or was carrying her "blue and white sorority umbrella". A lot of our BLACK authors now have GREEK affiliations and it makes perfect sense to me to add that as part of their subject line.

I liked Sorority Sisters as well as Breggie James' two books, SISTER SECRETS and BEYOND OUR MOTHER'S FOOTSTEPS. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND all three books.

One last comment, nowadays our BLACK authors are working hard to get published. Lately there is an overflow of them coming out. I would encourage all of us to read as much as we can and support these authors' endeavors. If we don't particularly like what they have written that is fine. I always try to go to AMAZON and write a review for the books I have read because the authors do read those reviews and sometimes they correspond with you. We need to support one another as much as possible especially those who are working to tell OUR STORY positively.

[This message has been edited by CrimsonTide4 (edited July 15, 2000).]
Old 07-16-2000, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I just wanted to throw in my amen concerning Mr. Ross' post. As an aspiring writer, I admire and celebrate the courage that writers exhibit when they put their words and thoughts to paper and run the risk of being heavily criticized for their work. Also, to Heltah Skeltah, if you thought Ms. Butler's book gave away so many secrets, what did you think about the movie School Daze?

I read Ms. Butler's book almost two years ago when it was in it's first printing. A friend lent it to me because she knew how much I loved a good read. Now that it's in its second printing, I plan to purchase my own since it's more available in the book store. I encourage everyone to read it.

Cookee