GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 972
1 members and 971 guests
zavictoiajnr131

Old 07-09-2002, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up *wants to start a chapter*

Okay, help me out here, will ya? At the University I'm attending the Greek Life is slowly dying, and the Greeks that are around aren't really that 'active'. I would REALLY love to help start a new sorority because well, we only have 4, and well, they are the kind of soro's that you never hear anything about. Sheesh, a few groups I never knew they had started rushing! I have talked to some girls who would like to start anew, but, we are all kinda are stuck in not knowing how to go about it. Well, hope you have some ideas for me!
Old 07-09-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Check out this threadRush at UCSC

It is how one girl started a sorority!

TG
Old 07-09-2002, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Is your chapter all local groups now? I just ask because otherwise they'd probably all have at least one rush at the same time, and it's hard to miss formal rush when it happens.

If it is all locals, it's pretty easy to start a chapter ... I bet you have to jump through fewer hoops.
Old 07-09-2002, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

TKE209Sweethrt:
I just sent you a PM
Old 08-08-2002, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Re: *wants to start a chapter*

Quote:
Originally posted by TKE209Sweethrt
Okay, help me out here, will ya? At the University I'm attending the Greek Life is slowly dying, and the Greeks that are around aren't really that 'active'. I would REALLY love to help start a new sorority because well, we only have 4, and well, they are the kind of soro's that you never hear anything about. Sheesh, a few groups I never knew they had started rushing! I have talked to some girls who would like to start anew, but, we are all kinda are stuck in not knowing how to go about it. Well, hope you have some ideas for me!
I'm quite familiar with the university you're at because I'm up there quite often, but I don't know too much about the Greek life there as I've only been to a couple of parties. However, I think y'all need a national sorority--you've got national fraternities, right? Well, why not a national sorority? I've never started one before (thank God--I don't think my nerves could handle it! ), but as someone suggested, try the "Rush at UCSC" thread...it's about a girl who started a local with the intent to affiliate with a national. I think that would be the way to go. Good luck!

Last edited by AchtungBaby80; 08-08-2002 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 05:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to TPASteph
TKE209Sweethrt Check your PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

I can say from experience.. When you get that charter to hang on your wall there's no better feeling! Good luck!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-29-2002, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

OKay, on this thread, I figured I should update you all for a second I'm rushing a local right now this semester *whees* but, if I believe that they aren't for me when it comes to pre-bid the idea of a new sorority is up for grabs

Kayla
Old 08-29-2002, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Do not raelly Know what your schools situation is but look at all alternatives!

I started a local Fraternity without recognition from anyone including the School!

I did not want to stay a local but affiliate with a National!

Beleive it our no, It was a tuff process but very short!

I started the Lacal In the Fall of 1965 and we Colonized in Sring of 1966 and Chartered in 1969!

This was a time of expansion but if not a lot of help from Fraternitys such as some Brothers from SX and TKE I dont know if I could have pulled it off!

If you do not feel right about the local Orgs., go to the Greek Life Advisor of your school and talk to them. If nothing there, contact the International Soroitys!

Get an Advisor from the Campus, People of like beleifs, and a structure to work by! Have a coat of arms, a badge, a pledge pin and NO HAZING IN YOUR CLAUSE!

Again, it depends on the situation of your school! Greeks may be be dwindeling because of the attitude of Greeks on Campus. Do charity events, PR, work ETC!

It is a big Job and well worth it if you can make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-03-2002, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Of course I would say you should definitely go AEPhi, but I am a little impartial.

Seriously though your best bet is get a group of people together and contact the specific national you would like to affiliate with and if you're not sure just contact NPC's expansion person. All the sororities love expanding so whoever you contact will probably be very eager to help you out.

Good luck and let everyone know if you make any progress.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Seriously though your best bet is get a group of people together and contact the specific national you would like to affiliate with and if you're not sure just contact NPC's expansion person. All the sororities love expanding so whoever you contact will probably be very eager to help you out.
Great advice AEPhiSierra.

It sounds like NPC is needed on your campus. You sound motivated enough about having a quality Greek experience that this might be exactly what you need to do. I would look on the site www.npcwomen.org read up on the NPC and then contact your Greek Life Advisor and discuss the possibility with them.
good luck,
violets
Old 09-13-2002, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Re: *wants to start a chapter*

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80

I'm quite familiar with the university you're at because I'm up there quite often, but I don't know too much about the Greek life there as I've only been to a couple of parties. However, I think y'all need a national sorority--you've got national fraternities, right? Well, why not a national sorority? I've never started one before (thank God--I don't think my nerves could handle it! ), but as someone suggested, try the "Rush at UCSC" thread...it's about a girl who started a local with the intent to affiliate with a national. I think that would be the way to go. Good luck!
I agree here! At my first university, there were inter/national fraternities and no inter/national sororities. A bunch of friends & I got together and formed an "interest group". The campus held presentations from inter/national sororities and now our campus is on their way to having natinal sororities! One local sorority has already colonized with Theta Phi Alpha and the interest group I was part of will be colonizing with Delta Phi Epsilon very soon!

I'm so proud of them!

Best of luck to you!

edited to include: It *is* a lot of work to colonize with an inter/national sorority, but I am sure all the work will be well worth the efforts when the chapter becomes successful
Old 09-13-2002, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to TPASteph

texas*princess, I'm so thrilled to hear that a chapter on your old campus affliated with Theta Phi Alpha. We're working to do the same thing right now except here it's a matter of Panhellenic expansion, we have support from Theta Phi Alpha already. If you don't mind me asking, what University did you go to? Thanks!
-Steph
Old 09-13-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
wants t start a chapter

TPA Steph and of course texas-princess:

The campus is Texas A&M Kingsville, about 45 miles from Corpus Christi. I am traveling in there tomorrow to begin the recruitment process with the interest group. Formal recruitment is Sunday through Friday. Theta Phi and DPhiE presented to three groups back in April and through mutual selection, two of the three groups will now be inter/national sororities. This campus once was called Texas Arts & Industries and later (in the late 1980's) became part of the A&M system. There were 3 or 4 nationals there in the 1960-1970's including Chi Omega and several others. Theta Phi and DPhiE are building a new greek system at Kingsville!

Denise_DPhiE
Director of Expansion
Delta Phi Epsilon
Old 09-13-2002, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

TPAStef, Denise_DphiE is correct - it is the Texas A&M University Kingsville campus! The campus is very excited to have NPC sororites to help the Greek system flourish!

I hear the Theta Phi Alpha colony is doing great! Best of luck to you with your expansion process!

Denise_DPhiE.. all I have to say is Wow! I have heard so many great things about you from Crystal! Best wishes to you & have a safe trip to Kingsville! My thoughts and prayers are with the young women of TAMUK always! They are going to do an excellent job, and I am just so proud of them!

-Arnette