GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,239
0 members and 1,239 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2010, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABubbles97 View Post
what i was saying is that KA has no association with the KKK...

i was defending my fraternity from the previous statement that our founders were in the kkk.. if they were.. there is no record of them being in it and also.. the KKK was formed in 1866.. KA in 1865...
I appreciate that. Lots of folks were members of the KKK back in the day. Especially in the South. It is likely that many of the founders of the fraternities of the Lexington Triad were at some point affiliated with the KKK. Heck.. my great great grandfather on my mother's side was definitely a member, probably on my father's side too. It was a pretty common thing back in those days, and at least here in Oklahoma, the KKK was at its zenith back in the 1920s. I'm not proud of it, but things were what they were.

That said, no one cares. I'm always happy to give free history lessons, but I *highly* doubt our founders were big believers in racial equality. Sigma Nu's founders fought for the Confederacy, I assume yours did as well since they came out of Lexington and revere Robert E. Lee as they do.

My own organization was very publicly hostile to racial integration as recently as the late 1960s. In fact, it was against our highest law to initiate blacks. That was 50 years ago though. Times change, organizations change. And I'm quite sure both Kappa Alpha Order and Sigma Nu have changed.

Bottom line -- just stop advertising that you don't have members who are currently active in the damn KKK. Everyone *should* assume this since it is hopefully not your practice to initiate white trash skinhead white supremacists. If people don't assume right off the bat that you are KKK-free, then you're doing something seriously wrong.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

The impression that I got from his post was that at his school, there ARE fraternity members who are active in the KKK, just none in his chapter. The KKK has the "white trash skinhead" style members you mention (although these types do seem more likely to join neo-Nazi groups than the KKK), and it also has the (far more dangerous, IMO) college-educated, more "average Joe" style members. So in an area where this is the image of KKK members, and members are known to join fraternities, I can see why he would state it as selling point for his chapter on his campus.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

A little off topic...

The KA's at my school are very nice guys. We had our first Greek week with them and they were very polite and cool with us. Actually for our last tailgate we paired up with KA. It was loads of fun and i really hope that good relationship keeps going on between our fraternities. Also i have a few friends from oklahoma who are KA's there and ill tell you the guys i know in "NO WAY" fit the "redneck" stereotype. One guy is actually an outspoken democrat. I guess it just depends on which school as it does for every fraternity. But from my experience most of those negative KA stereotypes are false.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABubbles97 View Post
i was defending my fraternity from the previous statement that our founders were in the kkk..
And if this had been a currently active thread, or if you had at least mentioned (or quoted) the 9-year-old post you were responding to, we might have caught that's what you were doing. But it looked like you just bumped a really old thread just to announce that you don't have members in the KKK.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Threads like this are so freakin silly.

Pretty much no fraternity was founded with the intent to be racist.

Some Kappa Alphas are redneck racists who are only southern gentlemen to white women and get drunk and haze.

Some Alpha Phi Alphas are urban hip-hop brutes, barely passing their classes, who smoke weed and haze.

But can't we all say that we know Alphas and Kappa Alphas and everybody else who are basically nice, decent people? I think we can say that, for all orgs.

Except those skanks of Alpha Sigma Alpha.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Except those skanks of Alpha Sigma Alpha.
You seemed to be a big fan of skankiness last night cuz.

PS: Hi NutBrnutallyHronest. Quit stalking me. APO brothers get first crack if I want to work the other side of the hot dog stand. (DTIY!!!)
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You seemed to be a big fan of skankiness last night cuz.

PS: Hi NutBrnutallyHronest. Quit stalking me. APO brothers get first crack if I want to work the other side of the hot dog stand. (DTIY!!!)
LMAO @ this entire response

It's nice to know that people know when I'm kidding and can respond in kind.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztafairy View Post
First of all, you do not have to get so hostile KABillyMac. I read that members of the KKK started KA somewhere and since it was in a book, I thought it was true. I've also heard it through the grapevine that it is true. But I talked to my brother-in-law last night and he said that he knows that it is not true and I believe him. I apologize for the mix up. Just chill out!
Its ok darlin you don't have to apologize for anything KA was founded Dec. 21 1865 and KKK was founded Dec. 24 1865.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAdeltalambda View Post
Its ok darlin you don't have to apologize for anything KA was founded Dec. 21 1865 and KKK was founded Dec. 24 1865.
You don't have to correct her since that post is 10 years old.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I was a KA in Charleston, SC. Lets be honest - it doesn't get more southern gentlemenly than that.

We didn't have any Confederate battle flags on our shirts, house, etc. We had a lot of guys from New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, as well as North and South Carolina, Georgia, Mississipi - etc. No rednecks - trust me. I've definitely met KA guys that were pretty terrible and rednecks at other schools - but I could say the same thing for other fraternities everywhere. Was friends with SAEs here, Beta's at UNC, Kappa Sigs at Hamden Sydney, and SigNu's at UGA. My point is that every chapter of EVERY fraternity is different. All this talk about a connection between the KKK and KA is absolutely ridiculous.

I love how this thread is 10 years old and I still posted.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't we all just get along? lol.